NaNoWriMo 2006

NaNoWriMo 2007 is here!

Rather than make a new thread, I decided to bump this one. I just started a few minuted ago, with a whopping 35 words (I am at work, so I won't get much until I get home). My goal is to reach 10K by the end of this weekend.

Is anyone else around here doing this? I made a thread on the NaNo forums but got no responses . . .
I just popped over and posted a reply, Eran. :) My NaNoWriMo name is Timewalker. This is my first year trying this, and I am not attempting in the least to write anything serious. I'm doing a crossover fanfic between Star Trek: Voyager and Trading Spaces, and it's intended as completely campy fun. I've had a really stressful time these past few months in RL, so I deserve this. :D

I didn't see a thread, so once more I bumped this one. I got 2K words yesterday, after being out of town on Saturday, so I am either ahead or behind depending how you look at it. Anyone else doing it this year?

I am actually going to give it a shot this year. I did about 1,000 today, will take a day or two off for the Election/Midterms, and hope to get at it harder later that week.

This will be my first attempt at fiction (my other writings are typically 800-1,200 word articles or essays). Should be interesting!

What is your story about?

A group of 20somethings are working for a small, alt newspaper in a midwestern college town. In a last ditch effort to keep the newspaper viable, they're sent to travel across the country, covering an upcoming presidential election, while working on a shoestring budget.
Its meant to be pretty lighthearted. I don't know how many of you read my blog, but the tone would be something like that...only fictional, and a lot longer :)

Was wondering if anyone was doing this here.

I logged 2.5K saturday and 2.7K sunday on my own project :-D

That's a lot of sarcastic comments. Figure ten words per sarcastic post, and that's another 5000 posts in under 30 days. Better make sure every other post is yours, Perfection!

All right Eran! I'll take you on! I'll try to write 50,000 words in my CFC posts while you write 50,000 words in your novel, the first one to get there wins!

I'd be tempted to, but I have no time. I have two big projects due within the month and I'm still trying to work in interviews. :sad:

I'll keep my eye on this thread though...

I've signed up this year, and I'm hating it already. At least I have a slightly better plot this time, though. (My novel is technically crappy fantasy due to having magic - it's also arguably comedy, horror, romance, and plain weird in parts. Also there are bad sex scenes, which I hope are at least better than the archetypical example of "he put his hard sex in her soft sex and they had sex".)

I'm going the fantasy way as well.

Well, in a very broad sense of fantasy. It's definitely contemporary fantasy, with a certain tendency toward the Fantastic/Supernatural side of things.

In layman's terms, something that has a lot more to do with Lost (to a lesser extent Twin Peaks), or even with King and Lovecraft (although definitely not very horror-centric) than with Tolkien or Rowling.

How do you complete a 100,000 word novel in just one month? I could see maybe getting the first draft done (and that's beyond most people, even most professional writers) in a month, but there's no way a novel can be brought to publishable form in just a month.

In theory the goal is 50 000 words in just one month, and not publishable form.

If people claims to have done 100 000 and publishable...yeesh.

I'm really under no illusion that I'm going to hit the 50,000 goal. Its the 3rd day and I only have about 1,600 words...and I prob. won't write tomorrow. I'd be thrilled with 25,000.

Why the 50,000 goal? How large of a book does that represent for comparison?

I'm writing a historical fiction about post-Watergate Nixon called Mopey Dick.

Why the 50,000 goal? How large of a book does that represent for comparison?

It's about half the standard length of a novel. If your novel is less than 90,000-100,000 words in length, it's going to be difficult to find a publisher.

In their own words, because it's a difficult goal to attain in a single month, but not impossible.

My results are nowhere near publishable.

That said, as of last night I was at 5331 words - the first time I was on track this early in the mont since I started. (I usually fall way behind then catch up). It is coming easily so far, but we will see.

Top Bottom