1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

NaNoWriMO 2016

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by Smellincoffee, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Chukchi Husky

Chukchi Husky Lone Wolf

I've reached 10174 words.

What I'm currently writing is an idea that I've had for years. I checked some of my earlier notes and they're four years old. I had recently been thinking about it and I hadn't planned anything else, so I decided to write that idea. The reason why I never wrote it before is that it was an idea for something else that now seems less likely to ever happen.

JohannaK and Synsensa like this.
  2. JohannaK

JohannaK Heroically Clueless

Welp, second part done. Hopefully I can keep up this, but I honestly don't think I can. I really need a long time to produce a 1000 word poem that connects somehow to the previous yet feels distinct.

3. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

I'm at an abysmal 8,200. :( My lame ass excuses are that I had to go out of town one way day and then yesterday, we had a power outage all day.

Still, at this rate, I'll only hit 40,000 words. :nono:

Valka d'Ur says, "the main goal of NaNo isn't the competition itself - it's getting people to develop the habit of writing," If she's correct, then I am already a winner. :)

4. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

I'm just past 8300 now, with the intention of reaching 9300 by midnight Pacific time (which is the time zone where the NaNoWriMo site is based). Keep in mind that we turn the clocks back this weekend, so that's an extra hour of writing! ;)

Not to worry about your time off - you have plenty of time left in which to make it up with extra writing later. And it might be an idea to keep a notebook and pen available for the times when you don't have power or a computer available. Some of my Camp NaNoWriMo material was written longhand, and I transcribed it later (I like to write during the commercials when I watch TV, and my computer and TV aren't in the same room).

5. Luckymoose

Luckymoose The World is Mine

Think of it not in words, but in periods of time. Find out how much you can write in an hour, then how many of those you'll need to set aside over the remaining weeks. Things seem daunting until you break them down into bite-sized chunks.

6. Valka D'Ur

It depends on the project. For my Camp projects, I knew the source material extremely well, having read, re-read, re-re-read, and more over the course of the last 30 years. I could knock out my daily minimum and a few hundred more besides in less than half an hour.

This time I'm struggling to get it done over a period of 6 hours. I don't know the source material as well, and I'm trying to write about things I'm unfamiliar with, like sword-fighting. I was never active as a fighter in the SCA, so this is something I'm finding difficult to write at all, let alone write well. I've had to stop and look things up (how arctic wolves behave, how to build an igloo - no, being Canadian doesn't mean I automatically know how to do that ;) - and so on).

7. Evie

Evie Pronounced like Eevee

Outline. Lengthy outline (about a paragraph per scene), but outline all the same ; none of the text in it went into my story. Plus I ended up ignoring half of what the outline said anyway. But I did think a lot about my story before hand.

However, once the clock strikes midnight on november first any outlining, stream of thinking, or any other kind of writing that is in any way relevant to my story I do from that point on, goes into the story file (usually in a separate folder, yay scrivener) and is counted as wordcount, under the heading "throwing everything at the wall and seeing what sticks". That,'s basically the core of my trick - when I'm blocked, I throw words at the page - ideas, ranting, whatever that has to do with A)where I'm taking the story or B)what's working (or not) in the story.

Out of my current wordcount which may or may not have crossed into six digits territory just before midnight it's about 60-ish percent actual novel narrative, the rest being a mix of aforesaid rant, and of scenes I threw at the wall that ended up not working (or alternate variants of earlier scenes that didn't work)

Otherwise It's not about typing speed - I'm not slow by any mean, but lots of people locally can outwrite me - but they can't keep up with me on the long run.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  8. Luckymoose

The older I get the more of a gardener I am with my prose, and the more ruminating I do before actually putting words to page (which slows my speed down to a crawl, but produces far cleaner drafts--drafts that I believe only require minor revision passes to be final--compared to how I used to work). My outlines tend to be a sentence or two, maybe a paragraph for entire clumps of scenes, as I spend hours or days just pre-writing in my head and sketching wordsmithery here or there. So I may go a week without writing a damn thing, then write a scene in an agonizing week of backtracking and thinking. I still pump out a novel or more's worth a year, but it is a matured manuscript. We all work at different paces, and I could never do what Oda does.

JohannaK and Synsensa like this.
  9. Evie

Evie Pronounced like Eevee

Oh, I agree. Everyone should do what work for them - the problem for me is that trying the slow gardening approach means that I end up with one beautiful chapter - because each time I sit down and change it I notice more changes I need to make.

If I don't push myself to keep writing whatever it takes, then I stop writing. So I have to do the breakneck pace thing.

10. Valka D'Ur

Well, I got a couple of hundred words farther than I thought. And now I've got a difficult decision to make: Do I spend tomorrow night writing, or do I spend it in front of the TV?

What a time for my cable company to offer a free month of the National Geographic Channel...

11. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

I wrote a chapter today, but alas, what I'd predicted to come out around 6-8 single-spaced pages came out as an abysmal 2. :cringe:

My manuscript is shrinking before my very eyes. Assuming I finish in time, the rough draft will end up about 40,000 words. But this is okay. My touchstone remains Valka d'Ur's observation that, "the main goal of NaNo isn't the competition itself - it's getting people to develop the habit of writing." My ultimate goal is to eventually produce a novel of a viable commercial length, which is more in the area of 80,000 words. My rough draft can serve as a solid foundation for such a work. :cool:

12. Luckymoose

See, I'm the opposite. Sure, I change and tinker a great deal, but in the end I never stop making forward progress. Plus, I'm incredibly lazy when it comes to doing revisions on something I wrote roughshod, because I have no attachment to it and it's like rewriting it from scratch. That's dangerous ground for a notable procrastinator.

13. Valka D'Ur

Today was a good day, even with the annoyance of a flu shot. I pushed myself to do several hundred words this morning before going to the clinic, as I had no idea if I would feel like doing anything later. But I've had no trouble, and my Day 7 total now stands at 13,381 words. My hero has just rescued a dwarf from some nasty goblins, so he had a good day, too. :lol:

14. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

I added 2,000 words today, but I'm still way behind.

This is a new mindset for me. Instead of write, cherish, fix, rework, coddle, rework, and fix. This is write, move on, forget about it, we'll fix it later. :crazyeye:

Tomorrow come the election results, and so I might be distracted. If Clinton can take NH, NC and Florida, I can get back to work early. Is OH on Eastern Time too?

15. Valka D'Ur

In that case, take a notebook and pen with you when you sit down to watch TV. There should be times when they talk about people or places that don't interest you, so use that time to scribble down bits of dialogue or some notes on where you want to take the story.

I always bring my notebook with me when I intend to watch TV. With at least 20 minutes of commercials/hour, it adds up. :crazyeye:

16. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

I felt this was a bad day, although my word count doesn't reflect it. I wrote almost 5000 words today, bringing me up to 30,779.

I've been using this to learn about maintaining identity in characters but I feel I've hit a wall. My progress seems empty in response.

17. Luckymoose

Here's a tip: never write all you have in your mind, always leave the well something to prime itself with.

18. Valka D'Ur

Yep. That's why I stop when I've reached whatever goal I've set for myself each day - unless, of course, it's the middle of a sentence or paragraph.

19. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

I still have plenty of content to write, and I know where to go. I've been using this NaNoWriMo to improve on how I write characters, so I feel I've hit a wall in that regard, not any other. :)

At any rate, I'll reach 50k probably before the month is even midway through. I suppose I should be happy about that.

20. Chukchi Husky

Chukchi Husky Lone Wolf

I've now reached 19019 words.

I'm not really sure how I've wrote so much. Everything that I've written is completely awful. I'm really bad at conversations, that might be because I barely talk to anyone. I've only explained aspects of a character's personality instead of actually showing the personality. The plot I've done has a lot of jumps of logic and is completely derivative. I have all these ideas and I can't really do any of them that well.