NaNoWriMo (July 2017)

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by Valka D'Ur, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

I should have started this thread sooner.

I missed the April event due to having to move unexpectedly, but I'm planning to do the July event. It's the one that's more flexible; you can set your own writing goals, as long as it meets the minimum of 10,000 words in 30 days.

Does anyone else plan to enter?

2. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

Hm.

It will coincide with the opening of a role playing forum I'm a part of so I might do something for that site for NaNo. Seems like a way to hit two birds with one stone.

Although, to be honest, I haven't the faintest of how to set something up for the other NaNo events besides November. I usually stop visiting the site the moment the calendar switches over to December.

3. Valka D'Ur

It works the same as the November event, only easier. Go to the Camp NaNoWriMo site, register, and do whatever prep work (notes, maps, story outlines, character sketches) you might want to do, and on July 1, start writing. Post your word count, and repeat for the entire month (or until you reach your target word count, whichever comes first).

I let my various apartment crap distract me from this, and I just realized that most of a week has gone that I could have been using for prep - and I haven't even decided what to do. The stuff I was working on last time is on my other computer - which I can't get into right now, since it's been stuck in "update mode" for about a month.

So I might go back to my Hulzein fanfic - just had a crazy idea for a crossover. Or maybe I'll start a new FF adaptation instead of continuing the one I was working on.

Or maybe I'll take one of my own suggestions I made when trying to convince Kyriakos to do this. He likes drabbles (super-short stories; the usual length is 100 words). I could write 100 stories of 100 words each... and get bored inside of two days, probably.

CivCube and Synsensa like this.
  4. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

:lol: I have to laugh at me. My initial reaction was "I don't have time for this. I want to get started on my new novel." Then...d'oh!

Nothing's set in concrete yet, but I'll probably aim for 3,000 words, not a complete work, just a running start of a novel.
    It's a quirking-comedy-legal-thriller set in the outlying courthouses of L.A. County.

5. Valka D'Ur

I think the minimum is 10,000 words, unless they've changed the rules.

That's only 334 words/day. I can knock that out in 20 minutes, and when I had my banner year last year (won all 3 events), my daily Camp word count was more in the neighborhood of 500 words/day.

Since I'm strapped for prep time and can't do what I'd planned to (carry on with the series of stories I started last year), I'm going to skip ahead 20 years in the in-universe continuity. Some editing will be necessary, but since I'm adapting a gamebook I played 33 years ago, it's not like it's brand-new territory.

6. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Trekkie At Large

I totally failed at regular NaNoWriMo last year. Maybe I can think of something....

7. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

:o I meant 30,000

:mad: It arises out of a mega-million dollar land swindle, perpetrated by a cabal of corrupt judges. Trouble is, I can't construct the requisite scheme. Yes, I can "fix" a case, but then the loser would simply appeal and things would be corrected.

8. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

Bah! I'm giving up. My story's supposed to be quick and quirky. But my evil scheme is turning into an ever-growing Gordian Knot. The more I try and fix it, the more unwieldy it becomes.

9. Synsensa

Maybe write a short story instead?

10. Valka D'Ur

This is the time when you do outlines. You're not supposed to be actually writing right now. That doesn't start until July 1.

The point of NaNoWriMo is not to turn out perfect prose. The purpose is to write. If it turns out a mess, that's okay. You can fix it later.

11. Valka D'Ur

So... Day 1 has come and gone. My goal is 10,000 words (I've won 3 of the Camp events using this goal so it's time to be more ambitious... but not this year. Next April I'll bump it up a bit.).

That's 334 words/day minimum, and since the NaNo site counts words differently than my word processing program does (they constant short-change me on several hundred words), I'll have to do more in the neighborhood of 11,000-12,000 words to meet the minimum. Last year I ended up with a consistent 5000 words or so over, for the Camp events.

Day 1 total: 372.

I was distracted by the Canada Day celebrations on TV, but decided that after Gordon Lightfoot's performance, that was it, time to buckle down and write.

12. Synsensa

I set a goal of 12,000 and am at 1082 words. Not the best but it's an okay start.

13. Valka D'Ur

At that rate, you'll be done in two weeks, which will give you a week to proofread before they open up the validation process.

I actually considered skipping it this time. But there's really nothing else to do in July other than watching Big Brother all summer. And I need to keep in practice for the hard one in November.

I ran across one of my stories from last year; it's being done piecemeal, as the various scenes occur to me. Maybe I'll post an excerpt here (since one of the Iron Pen contestants challenged me to show my own writing).

14. Valka D'Ur

Day 2 total: 1121 words.

It's already awkward. Since this is a sequel to last year's story, the details have to mesh as closely as possible. And of course I found myself veering off into an alternative tangent anyway, creating a step-family where it hadn't existed before, not in all the 30 years I've been thinking about these characters. Now I have to come up with names for new husbands, wives, a cousin... all for the purpose of giving the character added incentive for the adventure in the first place and a reason to not be so greedy at the end of it.

I might have to undo a lot of what I wrote tonight, since it got very convoluted, and probably needlessly so. This is going to require some rethinking. It would actually have been easier to continue on directly from where I left off in November, but those notes were packed in a box when I moved apartments, I gave strict instructions for the people helping me move to DON'T TOUCH THIS, IT'S MY ONGOING WRITING PROJECT (I'd thought to continue it for the April event)... but of course it's been stuffed away with all the other boxes now and I don't know where it is. I should have done three more stories before the one I'm working on now, as I've decided that approximately 20 years pass and those stories would have taken up part of those 20 years.

Dammit. :gripe:

15. Valka D'Ur

Day 3 total: 1636 words.

I've found my notes and stuff from last year (see the Random Rants thread; I'm still greatly displeased that my box of writing stuff was stuck nearly at the bottom of a huge pile of moving boxes, exactly what I'd told the helpers NOT to do), so that story can be continued. So for now I am gladly abandoning this current mess (still gonna claim the word count, though, since I wrote them this month).

Maybe by this time next year I'll be ready to go back to it (having thought out the family dynamics of my characters).

16. Synsensa

Was considering hammering out a few words to salvage the day but it's 11:59. That's not gonna happen.

Day 3 total: 1963 words. Meh.

17. Valka D'Ur

Day 4 total: 2205 words. At this point I'm just winging it for describing a dwarven city that's partly above and partly below ground.

18. Synsensa

Salvaged my slow progress yesterday and jumped 1900~ words, then another 1100 today. I'm now sitting at 5179. Less than 900 words away from being halfway done my goal. I think I might have shot a bit too low.

19. Valka D'Ur

You can always edit it to make it more.

I was up early today to make sure I caught the mailman (who didn't protest at all about delivering over 25 kg of cat litter to my door and stacking it in the hallway; what a change from the grouch he used to be), and used the time to get an early start. So I've got a good chunk of today already finished.

EDIT: Day 5 total: 2884 words.

I'm still working on the connecting material between Caverns of the Snow Witch and Forest of Doom. At this rate, I'll be half way to my word count goal before even starting the game book.

It's not egregious word count-padding, though. As I mentioned in the roleplaying thread, adventurers need a reason to go adventuring. The intro in Forest of Doom makes the character out to be a somewhat shallow-minded, greedy sort who sees the quest to find the King's warhammer as easy money and fame.

My character doesn't care about the money or fame (he already made a tidy sum of money in the previous adventure). He sees the quest as a matter of honor, a duty to a friend with whom he shared a dangerous adventure (in the previous gamebook), and a way to redeem the reputation of humans (the dwarven city of Stonebridge has been under attack by a vicious band of Hill Trolls, the King's warhammer has been carried off, and by this point some of the dwarves are suspicious of all non-dwarves).

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  20. Valka D'Ur

Day 6 total: 3909 words.

Seems I actually get more done on the days when Firefox keeps crashing, since my word processing program works when I'm not online.