1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

NaNoWriMo (November 2017)

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by Zkribbler, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

I might have mentioned that in my NaNo thread on AC2. However, since then I've kept my NaNoWriMo discussions here... and due to my computers' insistence on malfunctioning at the worst possible time, I still prefer to keep track of everything in physical form - handwritten, on looseleaf.

2. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

Well, this is depressing. :sad:

I wandered onto my Fanfiction page today. One post there comments on my most productive period: 53,000 words in just 7 weeks. :whew: I remember that too. I ended up exhausted and burnt out. Now, I'm supposed to write 50,000 words in just 4 1/2 weeks? :faint: It ain't gonna happen. :shake:

3. Valka D'Ur

Where is your fanfiction page?

And remember: NaNoWriMo is completely doable if you break it down to a daily goal. The minimum is 1667 words/day.

I've got another prep session planned for next Tuesday (every time they shut the water off in my building for maintenance purposes, I go to the library; I prefer to have a working bathroom available and there's a quiet area upstairs where I can spread out my papers and maps and even bring my dinner up from the lunch kiosk on the main floor).

But I still need to finish up that bridging material I was working on in July. I might get another 5000 words out of that if everything plods along like it did for Camp. Mind you, it's godawful tedious stuff that would have to be mercilessly edited if/when I ever post this stuff.

Come hell or high water (probably both), Ranok's going to get through Darkwood Forest and find that stupid warhammer. Even if it takes the whole next year's worth of NaNo contests.

4. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

checkout author's name: runt thunderbelch. He was also a character in my earliest DiscWorld fanfics. :coffee:

5. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

Last year, I got so tangled up in outlining, I granted myself special dispensation to finish at the end of December rather than November.

This year, I'm doing the opposite. I'm moving things forward one month. My new self-imposed deadline is Halloween. :hammer: This way, if I don't finish in time, I can continue working deep into November. I definitely want to be done by early December :xtree: because I'm looking at surgery for my remaining cataract. Last time, surgery messed up my vision for awhile.

It's Oct. 1 here. Let the games begin. :eekdance:

6. Valka D'Ur

I'm not sure you quite get the rules of NaNoWriMo.

The start time is one second after midnight on November 1. The finish time is midnight on November 30 (Pacific time zone).

You won't be able to track your daily word count until November 1, and if you try to dump your entire output into their validation program at the same time, I predict it won't be accepted. They do have ways to detect people who try to scam the system.

Of course you can start any time you want, and take as long as you want. Nobody's standing over you, and this is on the honor system.

That said... why fudge and muck with the rules? What satisfaction comes from essentially thumbing your nose at the rules and ... let's face it... cheating? It's not like you're actually competing with anyone but yourself. You don't get any tangible prizes, unless you decide to download and print the badges, banners, and certificates. Any winners' goodies other than those come with a price to you, because they consist of discounts on NaNo merchandise and some pretty generous discounts on various kinds of writing/storyboarding software.

Would I like to finish off what I started before? Of course. But if I plan to use it as my NaNo project, not one word is going to be counted until November 1... as per the rules.

7. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

Good luck. I started midway through October last year myself since I knew I wouldn't be able to write during the first two weeks of November. I gleefully embrace the label of cheater. :)

8. Valka D'Ur

So how did you track your daily word count? Or did you end up validating at all?

9. Synsensa

I marked each day in the Word document. I don't remember if I validated last year's NaNo... let me check. Yeah, I did. I must've updated the day counts separately once I got back in November.

Edit: I also keep a notepad document open now to track daily word counts.

Spoiler :

AUG 01 2017 | ?
    AUG 02 2017 | ?
    AUG 03 2017 | 1254
    AUG 04 2017 | 174
    AUG 05 2017 | 1685
    AUG 06 2017 | 1543
    AUG 07 2017 | 2500
    AUG 08 2017 | 2183
    AUG 09 2017 | 196
    AUG 10 2017 | 0
    AUG 11 2017 | 1310
    AUG 12 2017 | 1422
    AUG 13 2017 | 0
    AUG 14 2017 | 1097
    AUG 15 2017 | 0
    AUG 16 2017 | 427
    AUG 17 2017 | 838
    AUG 18 2017 | 1115
    AUG 19 2017 | 852
    AUG 20 2017 | 2533
    AUG 21 2017 | 0
    AUG 22 2017 | 532
    AUG 23 2017 | 1487
    AUG 24 2017 | 410
    AUG 25 2017 | 1000
    AUG 26 2017 | 1783
    AUG 27 2017 | 2604
    AUG 28 2017 | 329
    AUG 29 2017 | 1015
    AUG 30 2017 | 3046
    AUG 31 2017 | 374
    SEP 01 2017 | 1428
    SEP 02 2017 | 1060
    SEP 03 2017 | 917
    SEP 04 2017 | 0
    SEP 05 2017 | 744
    SEP 06 2017 | 1466
    SEP 07 2017 | 123
    SEP 08 2017 | 733
    SEP 09 2017 | 1291
    SEP 10 2017 | 0
    SEP 11 2017 | 976
    SEP 12 2017 | 661
    SEP 13 2017 | 420
    SEP 14 2017 | 964
    SEP 15 2017 | 1608
    SEP 16 2017 | 2664
    SEP 17 2017 | 2316
    SEP 18 2017 | 715
    SEP 19 2017 | 0
    SEP 20 2017 | 0
    SEP 21 2017 | 2
    SEP 22 2017 | 0
    SEP 23 2017 | 0
    SEP 24 2017 | 0
    SEP 25 2017 | 0
    SEP 26 2017 | 1852
    SEP 27 2017 | 264
    SEP 28 2017 | 0
    SEP 29 2017 | 0
    SEP 30 2017 | 0

10. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

I don't see them so much as rules as guidelines. :mischief:

I am not at all confident in finishing in just 30 days, and I absolutely want to be finished by the first week in December when I go in for eye surgery. So I'm starting early, just to make sure. I won't even be registering with NaNoWriMo. Think of me as a kind of camp follower.:D

11. Valka D'Ur

Okay. :D

One of your duties will be to keep my pencils sharpened so I'll always have them available for drawing my maps.

'Cause otherwise, a lot of people go into this not confident they'll finish in 30 days. It took me NINE YEARS to achieve that. Previously, the best I'd done was 22,000 + a few hundred.

Honestly, the feeling of doing those 50,000 words in November is incredible, after so many years of trying.

12. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

Here's my plan: :coffee:

Tomorrow or the next day, my editor should be sending me her proposed changes to my near-future/Christmas/crime short story. I'll take two or three days to evaluate and make the changes and to submit the polished draft to various magazines. So, three days gone.

This month, I need to make at least two all-day trips to Tagbiliaran. They usually exhaust me, and I need another day to recover. Four more days gone.
    On each of the remaining days, I hope to write one 2,000-word chapter . :badcomp: My target is to finish the second ~40,000-word portion of my three-part novel.

13. Valka D'Ur

Just so long as you're available on Tuesday morning (9:30 am to 1:30 pm, MDT/UTC-6) to sharpen my pencils for me as I attempt to map Darkwood Forest (this is prep work, and involves no actual story-writing).

After all, you did volunteer to be a Camp follower... :mischief:

14. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

I now officially have the attention span of a three-year-old. :wallbash:
    I delayed preparing for the second part of my NaNoWriMo trilogy to pound out a Christmas story. :xmassign:

Two weeks ago, my editor returned the edits on it, and I jumped in to make the fixes.:badcomp: i got maybe 80% of the way through but came down with what I thought was a cold. More likely, it was bronchitis. :health: Everyday I got a little bit better; but everyday I didn't feel up do doing any writing. :sleep:

A few days ago, my zombie brain surfed across an article on the symbolism in the Wonderful Wizard of Oz. I started toying with the idea of re-writing the story to bring out more of the symbolism. I thought of entering it into NaNoWriMo. I can start quickly because I'll be tracking the original story & so won't need much of an outline. I downloaded the book off of Gutenberg. It's only 40,000 words. :eek2: Plus, I'll use the 1939 movie's strategy of omitting the meandering ending. And I'm chopping off the beginning as well. My guess is that the finished product will be ~30,000 words, far less than the 50,000-word target of NaNoWriMo.. :shake:

This morning, I finished Chapter 1. It's only 1,000 words, including the first song.[Yes, there will be song lyrics.] It ends with the tornado. It's so short because I wanted to get the reader to Oz ASAP.. :hide:

So now, I have to finish my Christmas story, and to also take on Chapter 2 in Oz. This scares the :scared: out of me because I have to come up with some lyrics to take the place of "Ding Dong, the Witch is Dead." :wow:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  15. Valka D'Ur

Someone on another forum asked me how my writing was coming along, and I mentioned that it's 11 days until the official start of NaNoWriMo.

Maybe I'll start a thread over there and post my updates, or start a blog since this thread has been meandering all over the place.

Sorry, but I honestly don't believe that any material should count unless it's done during the specified month (April, July, or November). After all, I gave up on April this year after my RL issues with having to move, and felt it would be dishonest to submit anything not done in April.

Prep is one thing - outlines and notes are encouraged - but the actual writing should be done during the designated months. Anything else is really not in keeping with the rules.

Of course this doesn't apply to non-NaNo writing. But if a person is going to claim a NaNo win, they should follow the same rules everyone else does.

16. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

:thumbsup: Agreed.

Sorry, I had originally meant this as a NaNoWriMo thread, but I have wandered so far afield, I appear to be somewhere in downtown Albuquerque, wearing a purple tutu, swim fins, and a beanie cap with a propeller on top.. :confused:

17. Evie

Evie Pronounced like Eevee

The rules for NaNo do specifically say they're only rules in a very loose sense. People have been adjusting for circumstances for a long, long time - NaNo Rebels are a proud part of the NaNo tradition.

In a loose sense, I'm one. I play by the "write in November" rules,. but honestly while the site would say I'm a winner on 50K, I probably wouldn'T count it as a personal win without either 100+K or a finished draft I feel comfortable editing into a full-fledged novel (better yet, both). For hopefully obvious reasons, 50k in a month just doesn't have much of a point as a challenge to me. These aren't the official rules, but they're the rules that make sense for me. If others adjust in different ways due to different circumstances, power to them.

Plus, I originally thought I was going to need to join the Rebel crowd this NaNo because November looked like it would be hell month at work, but then I lost the job so I guess writing time is a silver lining.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  18. Synsensa

The way I see it, it's still a win if you write for four weeks in a short period of time. There aren't many people who can write 50k in a year, let alone in a month, and that time being separated doesn't make one more or less capable of finishing.

NaNoWriMo last year for me was interrupted by surgery. I knew I would have the first two weeks of October and the last two weeks of November, but not the time in between. I don't feel I should have entirely abstained because someone thinks it's "cheating". I still abode by the parameters set by the 'competition' (that isn't actually a competition). I gave myself four weeks with a deadline of November 30th and met that comfortably.

19. Valka D'Ur

You're still completely missing the point.

I'm not saying it's not a worthwhile achievement to write 50k in a year, or for four weeks in a short period of time. Forpetessake, the average prolific CFC poster probably meets and exceeds that just by posting in the political and serial threads, never mind writing a story (or two or three) on top of that. That's one reason I strongly encourage people to try NaNo, and bring this point up when they say they couldn't possibly write 1667 words/day (for November) or 334 words/day (the minimum needed per day for a Camp event). Chances are that they already write much more than that on an average day of posting in OT and other places online.

@Vincour, your version of this makes as much sense as an athlete (ie. a 10,000-meter runner) doing his race by splitting it up into 1000 meters/day over 10 days, adding all the times together and saying it's as valid as if he'd run the entire race at once, as his competitors do, or running the race at some other time other than the official one because it's more convenient.

In other words, it's cheating. It's not playing by the rules, and you're not going through the same experience that the rest of the competitors are.

Last year was the first time I really understood the various "mileposts" the participants go through - the highs and lows, the feeling you get after the first week, the second week, the whole when-is-this-gonna-be-over-i-feel-like-i've-been-doing-this-FOREVER frustration, the frustration of writer's block and the exhilaration of breaking the block, and the sheer relief when it's five minutes to midnight Pacific Standard Time, and you've validated and gotten the "congratulations" email from the NaNoWriMo website.

Camp NaNoWriMo this year for me was mucked up by my having to move to a new apartment. Not only did I lose all my prep time in March, but I literally lost my story notes because some idiot packed them away at the bottom of a tall stack of boxes in the farthest corner of the back bedroom, exactly as I'd asked them NOT to do. I was so very much not in the right head space in April, from the move, from having to search for my story notes, and from mourning Chloe, my older cat who I'd just had to have euthanized.

So I wrote April off (no pun intended). I'm not going to take some other month or a week here and there to write something else as a contingency story just in case I have another lost month like April this year; if I claim a win, it's going to be because I actually wrote those words in the designated month. Anything else wouldn't be fair, and since this whole thing is basically on the honor system I don't really understand what you got out of picking and choosing when you were going to write, anyway. The winners' goodies aren't free, other than the certificate/badge/banner downloads; everything else is at a discount + shipping.

If you want to say, "I wrote a 50,000-word story," fine. But if you want to say "I wrote a 50,000-word story and am therefore a NaNoWriMo winner" it's not fine unless you wrote every one of those words during the month of November (or April or July as may be applicable).

Anyway, it's a bit less than 28 hours to go. Not sure if I'll bother posting daily updates this time, if it's just going to be me doing this.

20. Synsensa

I respect your opinion. The organization itself disagrees with your assertion.

At any rate it doesn't make sense. During the two weeks I wrote in November I wrote, according to the NaNoWriMo website, a little over 59,000 words. My final word count was 102k. Even if you remove the proclaimed period of cheating I would have still comfortably won.

Edit:

Everything past Day 11 was written in November.

Edit 2: I've decided to participate in NaNoWriMo this year to try out a new form of writing and a new genre.