1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

NaNoWriMo (November 2017)

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by Zkribbler, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Clear. As. Mud. :huh:

All I see is a thread full of people talking about mental illness. I don't see anything at all about any official word that it's okay to write 50k words whenever the hell you feel like it and somehow have it all count as if it were done in November.

2. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

At this point you're just being rude for no good reason. I hope your NaNoWriMo efforts go well this year, Valka.

3. Valka D'Ur

:rolleyes:

You linked me to a thread where people are discussing mental illness. I don't see one word there about any alternative rules or guidelines for NaNoWriMo.

I did see the "don't call it cheating" blurb there, which is fine - since I never take part in the forums on that website I won't be in danger of calling it cheating - there.

Here is another matter. It's nice that you did 59,000 words in 2 weeks. Congratulations. But the rest of the words that were not written in November shouldn't count, as far as I'm concerned.

4. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

I am so glad I decided to abandon NaNoWriMo this year. :whew: If you'll remember...

My greatest fear was that my eye problems would slow me down, and they really have. :( I'd done 1,000 words on Oct. 14. Now, 2+ weeks later, I've only finished another 7,000. I've never hit a period of writer's block. Things are progressive steadily but slowly...like wading. through Jello

On the bright side, two fo my characters have completely gone off the reservation and are refusing to do what I want. For a writer, this initially is very unsettling, but in the end, this is always a great thing. It means your characters are coming to life.

Oh yeah, my Christmas story is done and is back with my editor. She really is a wonder :hug:in that she won't let me get away with anything. If I try to finesse or paper over a weak area, she spots it and sends me back to do things right. I did that a lot of that in my initial version :o, which is why I'm having her do a second edit. I've done some major re-writing.

5. JohannaK

JohannaK Heroically Clueless

But... You dropped out before it began?

6. Valka D'Ur

Sometimes life takes a wrong turn at Albuquerque. :dunno: I was actually mulling it over today, trying to decide if I'm going to spend the next 30 days writing or organizing my books and magazines.

I was gathering my notes and discovered that my map is missing. :mad:

I am really NOT going to be happy if I have to redo it, because without it the story will be much harder for me to follow, let alone anyone else who might read it some day.

7. Evie

Evie Pronounced like Eevee

Well, have fun all!

8. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

I vote you tear the place apart looking for it.

==================================================
    The Good: I've just had a third character break ranks and start doing what she wants. Always interesting. :dance:

The Bad: I now guesstimate this story will end up at about 20,000 words--a real NaNo-nono. :shake:

The Ugly: I think I may be headed into writer's block. I'm just about to introduce the wizard, and I don't know what to do. In both the book and the '39 movie, he appears as a floating head. Neither the book nor the movie explains how a humbug wizard could create this phenomenon. I will not, not, not go down this path but I as yet have no idea what I can do that will be interesting.:badcomp:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  9. Valka D'Ur

I've started doing that. These are the things that get me highly motivated to tidy up the place. But if I don't find it by tomorrow noon, I'm going to have redo it.

I just have to hope that the housekeeper who comes twice a month to help out didn't decide to throw it away. She was determined to throw out one of my smaller notebooks awhile back just because it was crumpled (something heavy had been set on it and the paper got crumpled; she insisted it had to be garbage, but I looked inside and found notes for three different stories in it).

This is someone who doesn't know the difference between a fanzine, a professional astronomy magazine, and a comic and thinks that all paperback books with the same color spine are connected and belong with each other. Authors, publishers, genres, and even if it's fiction or nonfiction are irrelevant. If a book's spine is yellow it belongs with all the other yellow-spined books.

When I explained about authors, she figured that (for example) all Barbara Hambly books belong together even though Barbara Hambly has written Star Trek novels, TV-tie-ins for other franchises, has edited anthologies, and written her own original science fiction and fantasy. All of those belong in different sections of my library. When she stated that she didn't know the difference between Star Trek and Doctor Who, I told her, "Don't worry about the comics and magazines; I'll sort those myself."

Extrapolate. You wouldn't believe the arguments I got into on my old Dune forum for arguing that it's likely the Fremen had glassmaking factories. After all, they lived on a planet-sized pile of sand, right?

The arguments that came back were always, "If Frank Herbert didn't write it, it didn't happen. So no glassmaking on a planet full of sand."

10. Valka D'Ur

Gah. 210 words for my first day. I haven't done that badly in ages.

But at least my character's out of the woodworker's shop. Now I need to figure out names for several new characters he's about to encounter.

Still haven't found the map.

11. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

Fixed. :D
    When I get stuck in the mud and am getting ever more frustrated, [pissed] one trick use is to move to a new location.:hide: This helps me to see things from a new perspective. :scan: So today, I left my world behind and went alone to the Kayla'a Beach Resort. By the time I got there, I'd already spotted one problem. For 1 1/2 chapters, I'd had no song. My pesky lion is too dignified to sing and dance. :dance: I needed to end the drought.

Now, not even the legendary Yip Harberg:bowdown: had his wizard dance, but my wizard is going to sing and dance. Dance around what? Imagine the head of a ventriloquist's dummy, spherical, two meters in diameter, painted florescent green and suspended by hidden wires. The humbug wizard climbs inside to work it. :thumbsup:

12. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

I often google; dwarf names, goblin names, norse names, german names etc.

13. Valka D'Ur

Yeah, I found a pretty decent selection of name generator sites. I use the "shout" method to see if they make good names (say them out loud; if you can pronounce them clearly and they don't make you fall off your chair laughing because they sound ridiculous, they're probably okay).

My protagonist is still wandering around a marketplace in a dwarven city. I want names that are decently dwarven but not unimaginatively stereotypical, and at least one name has to be feminine.

I've just gathered up the various source books I have for FF, D&D, and AD&D, to get some idea of what prices to use. Unfortunately, the people who wrote the source books for Fighting Fantasy neglected to mention some basic stuff that the average adventurer might want or need. If I want him to buy weapons and armor, on the other hand, there's no problem. There are price lists for pretty much every type of medieval weapon I've ever heard of, plus a bunch I haven't.

14. Synsensa

I use NaNo to try out new things. In 2015 I used it to make a novel about a roleplaying universe a few friends and I created. In 2016 I used it to write a fanfiction.

This year I am using it to try out a first-person narrative in an urban fantasy setting. These are both completely new things for me... and I am doing very poorly. I think this was a mistake.

15. Evie

Evie Pronounced like Eevee

This has been a rough start, and on November 2 I was about to give up. I've had way too much crap happen in October, and I was drained, zero confidence, zero energy, and by and large, zero interest. I managed to eke my way into making daily wordcount for that day, and that was it.

I'm beginning to climb back out of the hole now, I think - around 9.5k the last two days. I'm deliberately only writing a few hours a day rather than going for massive blitzes that are likely to drain me creatively and mentally. And deliberately setting aside time for other distractions, like Cities: Skylines and Stranger Things. I could write more, but I'm not in a place mentally where it'S a good idea for me to do so, so I'm pacing myself a bit more.

I figure it might help the quality, and the cohesion of the story.

16. Valka D'Ur

Well, so much for today. My total is currently a whopping 400 words. That's only marginally acceptable for a Camp event for a single day.

I spent a couple of hours on the phone with an internet tech today, since I was confronted with something on my computer that looked like somebody tried to hijack it. They goofed, though, because you don't need a password to access my computer and the thing was waiting for me to input a password (instead I shut the computer off and phoned my ISP tech department), but I need to make sure nobody does get access some other way. Round two of figuring this mess out will be tomorrow morning.

And then I temporarily lost my NaNoWriMo story (the current version)... found it again, and maybe I'll manage another few words.

The story itself isn't the problem. I know where it's supposed to go and what I have to do to get it there. It's getting me in the right headspace to write it, and getting rid of the RL crap that's going on - huge argument the last couple of days on CBC over something the Governor-General said that wasn't a big deal to anyone except the right-wing voters who are calling for her to resign, be fired, and they want the Queen to "give her a talking-to" (she dared to say that climate change is real), noisy upstairs neighbors, they're STILL doing maintenance on my old suite after 7 months, and of course I can hear it loud and clear (maybe I should tell the upstairs people with the noisy kids just how bad the mold was in the wall their suite and my old one share; maybe they'd move...), and now computer problems. It's been snowing for three days straight and while I don't have to go anywhere any time soon, it means other people around are in a bad mood.

The one thing I accomplished today was clipping Maddy's claws.

17. Valka D'Ur

My NaNoWriMo this time is over. I managed about 1290 words or so, and then my computer glitched. Not only can I not get online with it, but my Open Office program is mucked up as well. I just barely got it to open, and I can't do anything with it, can't add to the story, can't change anything, can't even save it or open any other files.

Carry on, folks. I'm done this time. I just hope I can find a way to get the computer going again, or at least get my files saved somewhere else. It depends on if I can find a tech who's willing to work with XPs.

18. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

:cry:

19. Synsensa

Yeah, I'm out too.

20. Valka D'Ur

Crying is not exactly the reaction I had. November is a roller-coaster month for me at the best of times.