1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

NaNoWriMo: November 2018

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by Valka D'Ur, Oct 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

The end is hopefully in a distant sight.

It's Day 29, and I actually forgot to wish myself 'happy 43rd anniversary of becoming a Star Trek fan' (November 28, 1975; it says so in the first Star Trek book I ever bought). I am that involved in this story.

Anyway... Day 29 total is 39,232 words. This is the first time I've actually done more than superficial editing on any NaNo story while actually writing it.

Mouthwash likes this.
  2. Valka D'Ur

It's Last Day! :run: I have 23 hours, 59 minutes to finish this thing.

Day 29 total: 43,613 words.

3. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Escaped Lunatic

Go for it!

4. Valka D'Ur

And... it's DONE! Validated with about 14 minutes to spare. :dance:

The word count in my word processing program is 52,436. But because the NaNoWriMo site counts words differently, I was credited with 52,269 words. I have no idea why there's a discrepancy. Maybe they count hyphenated words differently, or don't count arabic numerals.

Anyway, the first reaction is, "Thank goodness this is over!"

The second reaction is, "Did I really sign up to do more between December and January?"

Yep. There's a goal-tracking thing there where you can start a new project or revise the old one - whichever, and you can choose the word count and the dates. So I committed to an easy 10,000 words between December and January, just to keep myself in the habit of writing every day. There's a lot that needs editing with this story, as I didn't actually start at the beginning (I jumped around among various scenes, wrote the ending, and some stuff that happens well into the post-game story I'm planning). I actually didn't start working on the beginning of the story until today, after having a month to think about where I'd like to jump in.

The story is based on a computer game (Kingmaker: Rise to the Throne), and the in-game story starts at a point not long before the King is murdered. We barely have time to meet the protagonists before everything hits the proverbial fan. What I decided to do for the beginning of my story was to start earlier that day, when the protagonists are home, and not expecting anything more than another routine day... and things get a bit annoying, somewhat more annoying, and by the time the in-game events start, they're at the point where they're thinking, "so what else is going to go wrong today?"

Well, being framed for the King's murder and nearly murdered themselves qualifies as quite a lot going wrong that day. :p

Anyway, this is what greeted me as soon as I validated:

NaNo-2018-Congrats BANNER.png

At this point, I would like to thank everyone who encouraged me. It really helped a lot! :grouphug:

MaryKB and Mouthwash like this.
  5. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Escaped Lunatic

[party]:band:[party]

Are you planning to post the story anywhere online in the future?

Valka D'Ur likes this.
  6. Valka D'Ur

After it's edited. :yup:

(which will take awhile, since although I made it to 50,000 words, the story is far from finished; I'm adding a lot of original material to what was presented in the game's storyline)

Depending on how I decide to write certain scenes, it will either be on fanfiction.net or Archive Of Our Own (AO3). Or maybe I'll dust off one of my blogs so I can post some graphics to go along. Each site has different standards of how some kinds of scenes or character relationships can be handled, and my vision of the story is a bit more... adult than was presented in-game (the game is rated for teens, so some things are glossed over a bit; this works fine in a game, but in prose it needs a bit more realism).

7. Chukchi Husky

Chukchi Husky Lone Wolf

I ended up writing 57,546 words.

8. Valka D'Ur

Congratulations! :)

9. Valka D'Ur

Just thought I'd share this; it was part of an email sent that included a survey:

what-i-learned-during-nanowrimo-is....png

10. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

:w00t: Impressive.