Napoléon I 1805 - 1815 ToTPP and Lua scenario updated to v1.3

This scenario requires some preparation in terms of reading & understanding the ReadMe & in terms of planning. Going into my first turn I was actually feeling nervous, which is a good thing in my book. Having played your other scenarios I know this is going to be a challenge. I have to say that, although I'm only on turn 2 I absolutely love it!

Every move feels like a major decision that could have consequences down the line. I took Ulm on turn one but held back on other fronts hoping to lure the Austrians into a pitched battle. They did not disappoint. I've just managed to route them in both Bavaria & Northern Italy and caught Charles in Munchen with the full weight of my artillery, commanded by Bonaparte. I couldn't have hoped for a better start. Now that boogieman is out of the way (or will he regenerate?) I can throw my full force against the Austrians in the center & end this war quickly before Russian numbers tip the balance.

I realize I'm very early in this scenario but I can already feel it's a classic. I'm hooked. Bravo tootall :love:

Thanks, that's helpful. I think it will be a while before I even get to 1815, let alone win. Re: Countmc's comments about 'never ending British attacks on coastal cities' - I think he may have meant the shore bombardments. I've found these inflict heavy and unsustainable casualties, far beyond the historical effect of such attacks. I've adopted the tactic of pulling my troops back from coastal cities, esp. on the Channel, and leaving them empty, and have cut my losses of Line Infantry in half as a result. Is there another way to force the French to keep large coastal garrisons, without wiping out whole divisions of troops each turn?

This scenario requires some preparation in terms of reading & understanding the ReadMe & in terms of planning. Going into my first turn I was actually feeling nervous, which is a good thing in my book. Having played your other scenarios I know this is going to be a challenge. I have to say that, although I'm only on turn 2 I absolutely love it!

The game will challenge you for certain but even in the darker moments don’t underestimate France’s capacity to recover and retake the initiative if you manage your resources and leaders effectively.

Every move feels like a major decision that could have consequences down the line. I took Ulm on turn one but held back on other fronts hoping to lure the Austrians into a pitched battle. They did not disappoint. I've just managed to route them in both Bavaria & Northern Italy and caught Charles in Munchen with the full weight of my artillery, commanded by Bonaparte. I couldn't have hoped for a better start.

As I’ve mentioned in a past post, artillery combined with your judicious usage of your leaders is key to being successful on the battlefield. Light infantry is good for mopping up battered enemy units. Of course don’t neglect your cavalry, who when combined with Murat can shred enemy forces to pieces.

Now that boogieman is out of the way (or will he regenerate?) I can throw my full force against the Austrians in the center & end this war quickly before Russian numbers tip the balance.

British and Russian leaders are from the very beginning of the scenario subject to a one in four chance of being killed on the battlefield, which means once that occurs they are permanently removed from the game. If they are merely ‘wounded’ than they will randomly return after a number of turns.

For technical reasons, it was more complicated to do the same for the Austrians and Prussians leaders and as such they are only subject to the ‘death’ event starting with the War of the Sixth Coalition. Prior to this war, if they are defeated during a specific Coalition War they are simply removed from play but may return in a subsequent Coalition war (for example, if Charles is killed in the War of the Third Coalition he will return in the War of the Fifth Coalition).
I realize I'm very early in this scenario but I can already feel it's a classic. I'm hooked. Bravo tootall
upload_2018-12-16_11-40-19.gif

I’m pleased to hear your initial experience is positive. I will be very interested to hear your feedback and potential overall summary of your game play.

Thanks, that's helpful. I think it will be a while before I even get to 1815, let alone win.

Like I mentioned to you in our correspondance, don't worry in your first play tests about playing the perfect game. Just go ahead and play a full game no matter how well or poorly things are going. Then based on that feedback I will be better able to judge what changes I should envision making (in addition, to the ones I've already indicated I made in post #53).

Re: Countmc's comments about 'never ending British attacks on coastal cities' - I think he may have meant the shore bombardments. I've found these inflict heavy and unsustainable casualties, far beyond the historical effect of such attacks. I've adopted the tactic of pulling my troops back from coastal cities, esp. on the Channel, and leaving them empty, and have cut my losses of Line Infantry in half as a result. Is there another way to force the French to keep large coastal garrisons, without wiping out whole divisions of troops each turn?

Okay thanks for the added explanation. During my own initial play tests, I encountered this same issue where the British 3 Deckers vessels would regularly attack the cities of Amsterdam, Anvers, Calais and on rarer occasions Brest and Cherbourg. As you indicated this could cause a high level of French losses, though the frequency of attacks and the number of casualties inflicted did vary significantly, in my experience, from one play test to another.

As I previously mentioned, to remedy this I first simply added the ability to build Coastal Fortress improvements (with none actually built in any city at the start of the scenario). But that still proved insufficient, so in my last play test I added one each in Amsterdam and Calais, which seemed to bring about more acceptable results.

Since it seems to be a more persistent issue than I anticipated, I will test adding more of these improvements as part of the initial set up (probably in Anvers and Brest). If other players are just starting a new game, feel free to make these additions through the Cheat menu.

Last edited:
I got very lucky in the winter of 1805 with a red health Imperial Guard outside Prag looking doomed. The AI, in its wisdom, decided to expel one of my units from Austrian territory & thank my lucky stars it selected my Guard & placed them safely back in Ratisbon with a mere slither of strength left :yup:

I need to check something. On the European Powers map I'm unable (up to March 1806) to move my allied units to the main map using 'N'. I get a message that none of my cities have transporters. Is this correct? It seems like an error to me. Thus far it's not affected my game as I'm waiting for events with Prussia to unfold, but I would like to ensure I have all the forces I need once the war begins.

Need to check something. On the European Powers map I'm unable (up to March 1806) to move my allied units to the main map using 'N'. I get a message that none of my cities have transporters. Is this correct? It seems like an error to me. Thus far it's not affected my game as I'm waiting for events with Prussia to unfold, but I would like to ensure I have all the forces I need once the war begins.

No, this does not seem correct. Unless the allied minor city on the first map isn't controlled by you, you should be able to freely move your units from the European Powers map to the European map (though not the other way around). I've never encountered a time when I couldn't move my units from the 2nd map to the first, and to date no one else has reported this as a problem. Did you try using the menu instead of the hotkey to see if that worked? Can you send me a save game where you had this problem so I can check on my side.

Did you have any problems using your Hussars spy on city ability, as countmc reported on his side?

The Hussar works fine. I hope I get a couple more as the game goes on! I guess by you saying 'Hussars' I'll get at least one more.

I'm firing up the laptop now to while away a hopefully tranquil night shift (touch wood) and will try using the menu. If that doesn't work I will upload my save.

I think the units transport on the first square outside of the cities in the European Powers map rather than the cities themselves.

Just checked. Cannot use teleport as it is grayed out on the drop-down menu. I changed Transporter in the rules file and changed no to nil and reloaded, opened cheat menu and they can be cheat built. Does your system not require the actual improvement in cities to allow the transfer (IE a Lua function)?

I'll upload my save now.....wait a moment.....forget everything. I've found the problem. Me!

I was trying to transport by moving the unit on top of the flag/city on the European Powers map, not noticing the square below is called Transit point. I feel really silly now. :o I was so used to the system in Vietnam where units move right to the end of the track.

At least there is no actual bug, just user error. :lol:

I'll upload my save now.....wait a moment.....forget everything. I've found the problem. Me!
I was trying to transport by moving the unit on top of the flag/city on the European Powers map, not noticing the square below is called Transit point. I feel really silly now. :o I was so used to the system in Vietnam where units move right to the end of the track.
At least there is no actual bug, just user error. :lol:

To be honest that was my first guess but as you indicated since you were already very familiar with my Vietnam scenario I thought that was silly and it seemed unlikely that you were trying to transport from the wrong tile! :D

I'm glad it was simply a user error and you were able to resolve it.:)

I'm up to 1808 and the War of the 5th Coalition. I'm having an absolute blast. This scenario is superb. I love how you've engineered it so that there are multiple options open to players but it still follows a historical path. Deciding where to position leaders is vitally important & deciding whether to run Napoleon as an administrator, a general or a bit of both makes things really interesting. There seems to be just the right amount of units. I managed to hold the Austrian assault, but if I had been slightly less prepared I could see them taking the two cities required for Russia to join in. The British landing in support has caused me a major headache. Thankfully Spain has remained manageable up to this point, though the Partisans are beginning to make their presence known & it's only a matter of time before the Iberian peninsula erupts into flames. I love the 60,000 (12 unit) restriction. I'm totally hooked.

My one & only criticism is the same as the other players. The British navy pounding my channel ports. I understand that you wouldn't want it to be easy for the player and have ship magnets that the AI crashes ship after ship into its destruction, but as it stands I just have to sacrifice unit after unit with no way of fighting back. Perhaps in a new game I'd try and move the fleet to the channel & counter the threat somewhat, but I think even that would be effective for only a short period of time. More coastal defences that would give the player say a 50/50 chance of a unit surviving may help, though I guess this may screw up the Naval Supremacy calculations (does it only add to the tally when the British units are attacked or will they rack up if they are lost attacking the French also?). I would happily invest in building coastal forts if I thought it would give me a fighting chance. This is the one frustrating element for me & if you can find a solution I'd say you have a real masterpiece on your hands.

My one & only criticism is the same as the other players. The British navy pounding my channel ports. I understand that you wouldn't want it to be easy for the player and have ship magnets that the AI crashes ship after ship into its destruction, but as it stands I just have to sacrifice unit after unit with no way of fighting back...

In my original play tests, I found the British actions a little too timid, whereby they only attacked French coastal cities sporadically. To remedy this situation, in my last two play tests or so, I added move to commands that pushed their naval units towards the French coast. In the first scenario they proved a little too aggressive, hence the reason I added the Coastal Fortresses in the last play test, which seemed at the time to make things more balanced.

Based on the feedback I’ve received to date it appears I didn’t have a broad enough spectrum to properly gauge the real impact of these move to commands and will be reviewing how I can redress this imbalance. It was never my intent that they be overly aggressive.

As you mentioned, the loss of any British naval units against French coastal cities does count against the Maritime Supremacy so I will have to take this into account in any changes I make.

...The British landing in support has caused me a major headache. Thankfully Spain has remained manageable up to this point, though the Partisans are beginning to make their presence known & it's only a matter of time before the Iberian peninsula erupts into flames. I love the 60,000 (12 unit) restriction. I'm totally hooked.

At the risk of repeating myself, I’m eager to get feedback based on a full scenario, for though I’ve had a lot of opportunity to test the wars against Austria, Prussia and Spain I’ve only been able to play two full play throughs in Russia, were I had two very different results.

I wouldn’t want to work and release a version 1.1 before that, as it can take quite a bit of time to test an updated version of the scenario.

This scenario requires some preparation in terms of reading & understanding the ReadMe & in terms of planning...

At Tech’s request, I will be adding extra details to the Appendix: Coalition Wars and Game Legends section. But otherwise, did you find the Readme clear and easy to understand?

Last edited:
The readme was excellent and I've referred back to it on many occasions, especially the appendix. I'm up to May 1809. The War of the Fifth Coalition is over but the War in Spain has just begun in earnest. I've encountered the Iron Duke! The option to invade the Ottoman Empire is an intriguing one. Perhaps not a sensible one, but tempting none the less. I'll have to see how things pan out in Spain before opening up a new front for the sake of my own vanity :smug:

When I've finished I'll write up a comprehensive feedback document with recommendations, if I can think of any. So far, bar the coastal issue, everything has run like clockwork.

That sounds great. When you are finished, send me the save game of your last turn as well so I can do the analytics (if you are interested I've attached the excel from my last play test for comparison).

Yes, Wellington, along with Kutusov, are the most dangerous coalition leaders. The Duke has certainly given me my share of troubles in Spain!

I haven't tested the Ottoman invasion option (or of the British Isles for that matter), but plan to do so in my next play through. Just a word of caution, if you try to take on too many campaigns at the same time you may find yourself in hot water.

BTW, I've read in another thread that you and John have re-started to work on Rise of Macedon. As we discussed previously, when you are ready, let me know if you still want my help to play test it.

Attachments

• Scenario Casualties Tracking Napoleon_4.xls
    63.5 KB · Views: 157
Quick question on subduing Spain. If I manager to subdue Spain (no easy feat) will the Spanish cities revert back to an Allied Spain as Austria & Prussia did?

I need to be clear on this in terms of ensuring my units can get back to France safely, especially if they're forced out of cities during the winter months.

If you manage to subdue Spain, any city you captured will remain in your possession. In addition, all active Spanish units will be disbanded (except for Spanish Militia units that remain in cities you haven't conquered) and Spain will cease to produce new units.

On the other hand, subduing Spain does not mean the British will cease their activities in the Peninsula (unless you managed to subdue England as well).

I'm not sure if this is useful for you, but I've lost Elan by November 1807.

I believe you mean you lost the effects of the 'Élan Napoléonien' wonder? If so, I originally had the event take effect after you defeated Prussia in the War of the Fourth Coalition but with the advent of lua I was able to tie this to the number of lost Régiment de Ligne instead.

Based on the low number required for the event to kick in, just 24 regiments, I typically lost the effects of the wonder between mid-1807 to early 1808 during my testing. Therefore. the fact that you lost it on November 1807 is pretty standard.

If you manage to subdue Spain, any city you captured will remain in your possession. In addition, all active Spanish units will be disbanded (except for Spanish Militia units that remain in cities you haven't conquered) and Spain will cease to produce new units.

On the other hand, subduing Spain does not mean the British will cease their activities in the Peninsula (unless you managed to subdue England as well).

As I haven't had a good block of time to play a serious game yet (but it's certainly on the books), how - if at all - are the Spanish Guerillas managed in the scheme stated above. Do they spawn in the countryside sometime after Spain's subdued?

When you go to war with Spain the Guerrillas are spawned in two manners: whenever you capture a Spanish city (as per the base game Guerrilla advance feature) and with some extra units randomly generated across the Iberian peninsula through the lua event file.

If Spain is subdued all active Guerrilla units are disbanded and no further are created.

Top Bottom