Napoléon I 1805 - 1815 ToTPP and Lua scenario updated to v1.3

Real men invade Russia! :cowboy:

By whack-a-mole I assume you let the British take certain coastal cities and then counter-attacked, catching ships in port? Smart idea.

I'm just doing the calculations in my head. If you don't have to take Moskva & Sankt-Peterburg then will Spain, London & Istanbul will be enough for a decisive victory?

By whack-a-mole I assume you let the British take certain coastal cities and then counter-attacked, catching ships in port? Smart idea.

No, taking advantage of the AI stupidity in another way. They cheat, and think it helps them, but this can be used against them. The AI seems to know which cities are well-defended and won't do coastal bombardments, but will stack their vessels right next to the city like total dolts. If you can get 3 ships (preferably including 1 Trois Points) into Amsterdam and 2 more Trois Points in another channel port you can effectively either shoot the Brits from the safety of port as they tend to stack just south of Amsterdam, or you can find them from turn to turn by Cherbourg, Calais, or Brest. The Trois Points can move out, fire once, and then retreat back to port. Sometimes I'll leave some of the other channel ports (without ships in them) with lower defenses so that the Brits will bombard them and become weakened so my fleet can swoop in and pick them off.

The only ships I lost in this play through were Villeneau's entire fleet (because it's basically worthless showing up on the first turn of winter so far from port and between so many enemies) and the Danish fleet (because those ports weren't defended well so the Royal Navy WILL consistently bombard them). Every other ship stayed in a port the entire game and moved port to port.

This is a very effective strategy that was working just fine in my first play through too. The only reason I didn't secure naval dominance was that I misunderstood how many ships I could lose, so I got aggressive too early figuring I could lose the 10th ship and then finish the Royal Navy the next turn.

I'm confident this strategy will work in most games and equally confident that @tootall_2012 will put an end to it in 1.1 :lol: (in all seriousness, consider refusing to let naval munitions spawn in cities as a trade off to maybe not making Villeneau's fleet doomed from the start. It might be interesting to have Villeneau's "leader bonus" be that he acts almost like a Train Militare on the seas, and fleets stacked with him don't lose HP during winter).

I'm just doing the calculations in my head. If you don't have to take Moskva & Sankt-Peterburg then will Spain, London & Istanbul will be enough for a decisive victory?

I think I still need to invade Russia at some point but am not sure. I won't need to be quite as successful there. All I know is that the Royal Marines are annoying and I plan to stop them once and for all!!!

Hi John,

As indicated, I had a chance to review your comments and stats and here is my feedback. I hope it explains my reasoning behind some of my decisions and addresses some of the changes that you and others are recommending.

… It is very frustrating seeing so many reinforcements stuck on the European Powers map with nowhere to go. I note that when Warsaw fell they were deleted. Did you intend to NOT do this for the German minor states (perhaps thinking no one would bungle it up as much as I did ). You may want to revisit it because it's certainly possible to mess this up enough for this to happen.

Actually, it is already a very real possibility in the event file for you to lose ALL your minor allies, including the Germans. It’s just in the case of the Germans, that it is only designed to occur if you lose certain cities starting in January 1813. In your case you just preceded the triggering of the event by more than 2 years.

The reason for this is that historically, France was still dominant in central Europe before 1813. It’s only after the disastrous Russian campaign, and the successful rebirth of Austria and Prussia, and their subsequent victorious battles (in this scenario’s case the capture of key cities) that the Germans started to desert Napoleon.

As such, I didn’t want the French player to start losing his German allies before 1813 simply because they may have made a tactical mistake of not properly protecting their backside.

By Turn 65, I write this with a good-sized defense force in Paris, Reims, and Brussels. I think that I can probably hold these cities indefinitely. The Brits are rolling up the Biscay coast and the Spanish are spotted approaching Clermont. I might get some relief in the future because the AI isn't being very smart Allies to one another and Britain is blocking out much of Austria and Russia's paths to get to me. Britain probably has the smallest army in the region.

I might keep the save just because it would be interesting to see if I can could salvage anything here. I think it's impossible to win of course and probably impossible at this point to even achieve a stalemate. Perhaps a partial defeat would be a good objective now Anyway, I'm attaching it in case anyone wants to try.

I reviewed the stats and compared them to the same date from my previous play through.

I’m pleased to see that the actual overall numbers of units produced by both sides, up till December 1810, were almost identical (tootall vs JP):
France 415 to 391;
Coalition Powers 1481 to 1591.

The great difference was between the:
Remaining active units: 274 vs 94
Casualties suffered: 141 vs 295

I think the most revealing statistic was in how you produced so few Regiment de Ligne (RdL) for the same period, 102 vs 57 but an over abundance of Infanterie Légère (IF) 24 vs 45.

From my experience, its preferable to have no more than a 1 to 5 or 1 to 4 ratio between RdL and IF. Though the IF a great for mopping up enemy forces, it’s the RdL who are the defensive backbone of your army. A too great reliance of IF on the frontline will soon see your forces diminished by enemy counterattacks.

Also remember that for every 15 Coalition Line Infantry you manage to kill, the event file will generate one free veteran Carabiniers units, which is superior to the Light Infantry.

Before L’Élan Napoléonien expires you should attempt to build/buy as many RdL as you can to benefit from the veteran status the wonder provides because afterwards you will start to notice that your casualty rate will steadily increase.

Another important difference is your over reliance on Artillery a Cheval units. Though they are good in pinch for softening up entrenched or out in the open enemy units they don’t have the same punch as the 8lb artillery. I would recommend a 2 to 1 ratio in this case.
Though you produced more overall artillery units:
Art. à Cheval: 19 vs 14
Art. à pied 8lb: 8 vs 19

In terms of artillery shells, I was able to generate more of the heavy hitting 8lbs:
6 pdr shells: 96 vs 174
8lb pdr shells: 188 vs 109

I reviewed your save game and have to admit I was surprised to see the level of devastation the Coalition was able to bring down on you. To see Russian forces made it all the way to the Rhine was a particular situation I didn’t expect to see. This makes me happy to see that the AI is truly capable of running an effective campaign on its own (i.e. I didn’t have to include move to commands to cover every possible situation).

-Attacking piece meal or without a plan cost me terribly, especially in Spain.

This game relies very much on combined arms tactics. Artillery is your iron fist, calvary your spearhead, light infantry for mopping up, line infantry your defensive backbone and the Hussars your eyes. The more you prepare the right mix of units on your offensives, the more successful you are likely to be.
I’ve said this in the past, but it is worth repeating, any offensive you attempt to launch without artillery will stalemate very quickly.

Any major offensive you undertake, without Hussars will leave you dumb and blind. You will only receive up to a maximum of three Hussars in the game. Don’t needless expose them to risk, otherwise if they are killed you will lose them for six turns plus any amount of time it takes them to get back to the front. That can be a very long time to be in the dark about your enemy’s dispositions.

-Not waiting for the AI to blunt their own offensive in the war of the 5th Coalition directly resulted in my front completely collapsing, as did being unaware of the historic British landings in northern Germany, which led me to completely leave this front unsecured.

Tactics, tactics, tactics. Knowing when to hold back and when to strike is one more key to the success of your campaigns. Striking too soon without the appropriate force to deliver a succession of killer blows, or waiting too long to allow your enemies to rally or other powers to join the fray are decisions you continually have to make.

-I spent a lot of money on happiness improvements that don't really seem to have much use here. I found that I still had to use an entertainer and in many instances it probably would have just been cheaper to avoid the improvement altogether as you seem to need all three in most cities to get any benefit. A size 2 city can't even be kept happy with just one. I'm not sure if this is your doing or the game's but I'll be adjusting my strategy going forward.

Money should be spent almost exclusively on raising troops. After I capture a city generally the only happiness improvement I will build (not buy) is the Church (aka temple). I typically always keep my Happiness rate at 20%, and for the great majority of cities that is usually sufficient to keep them happy.

After that I concentrate exclusively on revenue generating improvements (Marketplace, Banks, Great Markets and courthouses) wherever they are set to increase my revenue.

McMonkey tells me he also builds production type improvements and than once done converts the cities to building Money Market (aka Capitalization).

I use the Plunder units you capture, exclusively to help build the production improvements in those key French cities that have the ability to produce units.

The ultimate goal is to get your conquests to increase your revenue as much as you can, to be able to recruit (aka buy) as many new units as you can. A good investment strategy can easily account for 20 to 30% of the total French infantry force you raise in the game.

This was part of my design concept from the beginning as I believe it falls well within the historical narrative whereby Napoleon used his conquest and the plunder he garnered from them to finance most of his campaigns.

-I didn't do a good job of min/maxing. I very much had a leisurely take on development and the economy at first and didn't get serious until it was too late. Turn 1 will take me considerably longer next time.

I always keep my happiness at 20%. In the first years, I try to maximize my science as much as possible without trying run a deficit if I can. When all my science is done, I move my money beaker to 70%.

-Likewise, I didn't really bother moving Gendarmes much considering them worthless units. Thus, I had a few cities with these stacked in France when they should have been cannon fodder at the fronts. Next time, I'll be moving these too. They might do an OK job stacked on hills to slow down enemy offensives (I still think they're pretty much worthless in the cities).

In this case, I believe you wholly underestimate the value of the Gendarmes units. They are not designed to be offensive units at all but rather to relieve your regular French infantry from garrison duties when they could be used more effectively elsewhere. This is particularly true in regions that you firmly control and are out of reach of enemy units.

Don’t forget, since the cities that produce the Gendarmes can only produce these units, you are in a sense getting them for free (just be sure to re-home them when you move them to new cities to be able to continue to maximize the production output of the original cities).

They also serve another function, whereby they can be used to sponge off enemy attacks, in particular in France against British Marines, and therefore give you a chance to rush troops to the affected area before the city falls to enemy hands.

-I probably should have taken greater advantage of Napoleon's administrative costs early on.

When you are about to undertake a major campaign, there is no better general to lead your offensive than Napoleon, and his presence on the frontline can easily shorten any campaign by months.

But when his battlefield abilities are no longer needed you should take every opportunity to send him back to France to take advantage of his administrative skills.

-I really needed to figure out a way to rush towards the heavier artillery to take on Zaragoza.

Mortier de 12po play a crucial role if you are to be successful in the Iberian Peninsula as it contains more fortifications than any other region on the map.

-I dislike the naval attrition model for a very specific reason: Villeneuve almost always shows up in the winter, far from port, and by the time his fleet gets even to Biscay, it's half-dead. This is totally out of my control. I don't think naval attrition is all that accurate (it's not like they suddenly stop having supplies on board during winter) and I think if you want to replicate the risk of storms perhaps you should give ships the trireme flag during winter months and make the likelihood that they'll be sunk pretty small, but enough that it can happen, thus scaring the player into working along the coastline. Given that you don't allow shore bombardments during the winter I think these two things would combine to make naval operations effectively neutered during that time.

Initially, I didn’t apply winter attrition to naval units in the game but I later added this for two reasons. The first, because the Atlantic and North Sea are notorious for their difficult weather during the winter and it seemed unrealistic that naval units could operate in these conditions with impunity. I’m no expert on Maritime Warfare of the period, but I imagined if the Spanish Armada could be wrecked by storms in the middle of summer, conditions should be doubly harsh in winter.

The other reason, was a little more gamey but originally I found it was too easy for Villeneuve’s task force to lay off the coast of Portugal and shore bombard the Portuguese and British ground troops into oblivion (though I did later add British naval move to commands to push more English ships down to that coast).

Adding the winter attrition effect seemed to redress that situation nicely at the time.

By the way, Villeneuve is set to randomly appear within the first 4 turns of the game,. The fact that he seems to keep appearing in November for you, is apparently just bad luck. Ironically, in most of my play throughs, he typically appeared in the first two turns.

Bear in mind that you've stacked the deck against France in the first place. It's very rare for a naval shell to be able to kill a three decker in one shot but trois points routinely get destroyed by one three decker in return...

I’ve done some preliminary changes to try and redress this imbalance and give the French fleet are fairer chance. This needs to be tested and fine tuned.

You could remove this ability by only allowing naval munitions to generate at sea via lua, but then I suspect you'll never see anyone invade England unless you make other balancing changes.

This sounds like a good suggestions and I will review if this can be added as a part of my naval modifications.

As I’ve mentioned in a few post, I’m reviewing the overall naval system (shore bombardment, naval combat, naval move to commands etc). I don’t want players to have to resort to gimmicks to deal with different situations but rather come up with a fair and balanced system.

-I will reaffirm that I dislike how hard Charles is to dislodge from a city. Maybe it's not a big deal if you're doing really well and have 9 cannons in the area. But consider that generals are pretty common in this game. If you end up fighting on numerous fronts as I did (and fighting 5-6 generals), you end up in a situation where you can't kill any of them unless they venture out. If the AI doesn't do that, you're never retaking the city they park in.

I have to be honest; this is the one feedback that I’ve received from players that has baffled me the most. I’ve played probably over 400 turns as part of my testing and had to confront dozens upon dozens of Coalition leaders, and though, yes they have at time given my forces a bloody nose, forced me to make a hasty tactical retreat, put up a stubborn resistance in this or that city, in the end I’ve never ultimately failed to overcome each and every one of them be it through tactical manoeuvring, patience or simple brute force.

As most players familiar with the period know, Napoleon certainly did NOT win all the battles he fought. And for me that was the whole point of these leaders, to give the players, and myself, a real challenge and not simply be able to steam roll over the opposition whenever or wherever I went.

With regards Charles, he’s the exact same strength as Blucher, Bagration, Barclay de Tolly, Moore and Schwarzenberg. Wellington and Kutuzov are the most dangerous allied leaders of all.

-Pulling up an improvement in the civilopedia causes the large picture to have the stock photo from the game. I think this might be a "me" issue because I think(?) there is an option in ToTPP to use the larger icon photo instead but if I'm wrong about this, consider investing some time on the internet grabbing some more appropriate photos because this is such a beautiful scenario that it really is marred with this (avoidable) glitch. If you intend someone to use a different setting, consider putting that in the installation instructions or elsewhere in the readme.

I’ve never modified these pictures in any of my previous projects. I can review if this can be added but I see this as a very low priority. To be honest, I’ve already spent a year and a half on this project and aren’t too keen to spend another 6 months. As you may understand, I’m eager to move on to another one.

-Consider adding some minor text to the civilopedia, or utilizing the "tab" feature Prof. Garfield and I implemented in OTR, where there is some minor help for units. I'm not seeking historic information as you did with your Vietnam scenario. I think bullet points with some highlights (like you have in your game tips for the ships) would be good. "Frigate: can fire one naval shell per turn at cost of all MP" or "Napoleon: grants 50% bonus to infantry or shell attack or can use diplomatic bonus in cities." It would be good to have a handy reference in game for the changes you've made with lua. I get that you've put much of this in the readme but investing a few hours into this would, I believe, be a big help to the player.

Except for Vietnam, I’ve never added text to the civilopedia as I always preferred to invest the time in producing a quality ReadMe. I always felt that was more worthwhile because ultimately I rarely, if ever, referred to the former and I suspect most other players don’t either.

I thought most of the details you mentioned can already be found either in the ReadMe or scenario messages but I can review if I can add more in game messages.

Edit-revisit if you want to have units in training for ALL cities delete if the city is captured or not (perhaps on a delay of a turn or two to give the player a chance to recapture it). It IS possible to lose this bad!!!

Sorry, I don’t quite understand what you were trying to say here. Could you elaborate?

All in all a top-notch scenario, truly a new standard for masterpiece. Please take all of the above constructively as I did absolutely have a blast here and am truly inspired to get cracking on my own scenario about a European megalomaniac trying to rule the world. I think there are plenty of other designers who are probably chomping at the bit to implement much of what you two did here and you should both be very proud.

I’ve enjoyed reading your feedback and truly appreciate all your comments and suggestions. I very much intend to work on a version 1.1 that I hope will resolve the more disputable aspects of the game.

Last edited:
In my save I pretty much ignored Infanterie Légère in the first half of the game and almost exclusively built Regiment de Ligne for my Infantry needs until I had enough and some of my cities had the industrial capability to produce IL at the same rate. They are useful units, but the RdL are the core of my army. The main reason I concentrated on RdL early on if for their veteran status (Elan wonder) which the IL can gain later on by mopping up damaged units, where it's riskier to attack with non-veteran RdL. I purposely kept my RdL out of harm's way as much as possible for as long as possible to try and prolong the effects of Elan. I'd sacrifice Gendarmes, IL & allied units before allowing a RdL to become a casualty. Of course, as the core of my army, I couldn't wrap them in cotton wool indefinitely. Eventually, the war in Spain ended that wonders effect & I then lost the ignore ZoC ability just after beginning the invasion of Russia. I think having a large core of veteran RdL helped a great deal in my save, especially when facing enemy generals who would sustain greater damage when attacking me & become more vulnerable to my artillery & cavalry in counter-attacks.

When it comes to enemy Generals, I found that luring them into attacking me in the open worked some of the time. Once their attacks were blunted & they had sustained damage I could bring up artillery to deal with them. Of course, if there is a few 12pdrs close at hand they don't seem so tough, but having these valuable units everywhere they are needed is challenging and I often had to sacrifice a Lancer or Cuirassier to ensure they were wounded or killed. The only General I was unable to best was Barclay de Tolly in Sankt-Peterburg who was protected by a Major Fort. My one lone Mortar & 12pdr could have blasted away until the end of time & still never broken the defences as each turn a fair chunk of my enemies health would return! Had the 3-4 other 12pdr that were with the Northern Army survived the snow I probably could have taken the city, but I had to watch as they were stripped away by General Winter.

I love the concept of the Sapeur/Mortar combo. Not a cheap option, but some of those sieges against Major Forts could have dragged on for even longer had it not been for their devastating fire. Even with Napoleon in command of the bombardment, the mortar is not a guaranteed one-shot devastator & several backup 8 &12pdr will be required to ensure the job is finished. Occasionally desperate measures were required and several waves of Infantry would be required to finish the job which is upsetting :cry: I did find the Imperial Guard stacked with Napoleon or Lannes to be a great way of finishing such sieges without sustaining terrible casualties, especially as a replacement unit will be created on the replacement path.

Now for some teary-eyed nostalgia. I wonder what John Ellis/Patient English would have made of this scenario. I loved his Bonaparte & Bonaparte II, especially in multiplayer games. He is one of a few designers I've often hoped would come back for a visit one day. :worship:

Thanks for the tips! I figured many of them out after the disastrous first play through but took value from many others. I'm on turn 31 of my second play through and things are going much, much, much better. I'll let you know how the Britannic Invasion goes.

I’ve never modified these pictures in any of my previous projects. I can review if this can be added but I see this as a very low priority. To be honest, I’ve already spent a year and a half on this project and aren’t too keen to spend another 6 months. As you may understand, I’m eager to move on to another one.

This is your baby and it will be done when it's done in your mind and your mind alone, regardless of what any of us say. I don't usually talk about this low-priority item with most scenarios but I chose to with yours. Not to fill your head too much but I will say with some confidence that this is the best scenario I've ever played. I think this sets a new standard that's going to be tough to meet. Of course these statements are purely subjective but I suspect at least some (probably many) others would agree. The best scenario ever made deserves to have fixable problems fixed. I don't think this would take you six months as this is a simple process. I think this might take you up to 2-6 hours if you're willing to use photos from the internet (I don't imagine you'd want to draw them all yourself). I would even offer to do this for you, but art is so subjective that it might prove an impossible task. I'm willing to give it a shot though or at least help you get started if you want. I'm on thin ice here and trying to be helpful and I don't think I'd come across very helpful making noise about a purely cosmetic issue and being unwilling to foot the bill, so to speak. I hope I'm not coming across as grasping.

Sorry, I don’t quite understand what you were trying to say here. Could you elaborate?

This was just a reiteration of the "issue" I encountered with the German minors. I now realize that it's actually a design feature but I was just spectacularly bad enough to lose two years early!!!
I thought most of the details you mentioned can already be found either in the ReadMe or scenario messages but I can review if I can add more in game messages.

If OTR's tab solution works for showing the updated attack values when a leader bonus is applied, I would respectfully submit that it is superior to the current process of opening up the civilopedia to check if the leader bonus applied or not. It is certainly much faster. I don't see why it wouldn't work. Whether or not you want to go through the trouble of adding the write up for different units like I did, or just show the stats is up to you. I don't think you really need much of a write up for most units as most units more or less follow core game functions with a few exceptions. A one liner reminding a player what to do with sapeurs or why their mortars aren't firing just anywhere might be helpful.

I have to be honest; this is the one feedback that I’ve received from players that has baffled me the most. I’ve played probably over 400 turns as part of my testing and had to confront dozens upon dozens of Coalition leaders, and though, yes they have at time given my forces a bloody nose, forced me to make a hasty tactical retreat, put up a stubborn resistance in this or that city, in the end I’ve never ultimately failed to overcome each and every one of them be it through tactical manoeuvring, patience or simple brute force.

On my first play-through, Charles entrenched in Venice (which seems to be the worst city he can hole up in, because you have to divert so much artillery so far away). The 3rd Coalition war took 10 turns, much of my artillery was out of position, and I only had 3 turns to prepare for war with Prussia.
On my second play-through, Charles was met out in the field. I won the War of the 3rd Coalition in 7 turns and had a further 6 to prepare for war with Prussia.
That's a pretty big swing that early in the game. It's up to you if you think it really matters or not but it does have a big impact on how things go.

Anyway, I hope I'm not being overwhelming about underwhelming issues here. You've released a scenario that's very, very close to perfect and the changes to be had are all minor, frankly. I don't know that you really have a "high priority, urgent fix" so I am taking the liberty of gawking over petty issues. I can certainly understand your desire to move on though and I'm looking forward to your next scenario, whatever that might be.

Hi John,

Please don't think I took offense by any of your comments or that I meant any by my own. As I indicated, I truly appreciated your feedback and will try to incorporate some of them in my changes. I'm a project coordinator for a living, and as such, I'm typically just very strait forward in reviewing/analyzing situations. There's never any mean spirited undertones in my dialogue.

As I mentioned, I've never really worked on the pictures before so it's a little unfamiliar territory to me. If you are willing to provide some preliminary pictures I'd be willing to take a look at them and see if I can add them to the project.

As we discussed in yesterday's thread, I fully agree that the initial placement of Charles needs to be revised, as his potential entrenchment in Venezia is too much a disadvantage for the unlucky player who has to deal with this random occurrence.

I have to be honest, after working on the scenario for almost 8 months straight (since it was the first time I worked with a collaborator, Knighttime, I wanted to take full advantage of his coding expertise while he was available (and in case he got bored or lost interest :sleep:)), I kind of took a break from CIV during the holidays.

I hope to get a final review from McMonkey and then get back to working on version 1.1 of my scenario sometime in January. I will review your approach in OTR to see how I could implement your tab feature.

Thank you both for your kind words and support! I'm sure that Knighttime appreciates them as well, as I couldn't have achieved my vision without his crucial help and expertise.

EDIT: I made a small error in the total Coalition numbers above which I corrected:
It was 'Coalition Powers 1481 to 1591' and not Coalition Powers '1481 to 1951'.

EDIT: Just a reminder in case this was forgotten by players, but contrary to other types of munitions, Mortar Shells are not deleted at the end of each turn. This can be useful information when trying to lay siege to a particularly well defended city.

Last edited:
Please don't think I took offense by any of your comments or that I meant any by my own. As I indicated, I truly appreciated your feedback and will try to incorporate some of them in my changes. I'm a project coordinator for a living, and as such, I'm typically just very strait forward in reviewing/analyzing situations. There's never any mean spirited undertones in my dialogue.

Oh I didn't - but I just wanted to be clear why I was pestering about something so insignificant.

It is now July 1809 and I have subdued England. You probably want to revisit the events sequence when the British Isles are invaded. I will admit I nearly bungled everything up like a dolt by trying to cut the head off the snake and going for London immediately. That cost me a LOT of troops and I had to weaken my border defenses with Austria (though not strip them) to bring myself back up to strength. After about 4 turns of getting nowhere in the siege, I bypassed London and found all cities save Southampton barely defended - 1-2 units at most. I was expecting some sort of event that would spawn a counter offensive but it never came. I was able to conquer all of England throughout 1808 (I invaded in April of that year) and then spent the spring and mid-summer bombarding London. It helped that the AI was a dolt and by leaving some cities undefended I was able to coax out London's offensive units to retake cities pointlessly, which were then destroyed.

My siege train was undisturbed and while I have gotten the Tallyrand warning about Austria and may well lose some cities to them, the fact that I can move my entire Britannic Army (some 50 units or so including about a dozen field pieces and 3 mortars) to other fronts, I am confident that I can move the army to the Austrian border, smash them in the 5th Coalition War, and then move into Spain with enough forces to subdue it. I think the biggest challenge I will face now is time because even though it's only mid-1809, I need to move a large army back and forth across Europe. I'm not sure how many troops the 5th Coalition War will take, but it broke me last game. I know Spain needs to be invaded in force.

There is one unfortunate side effect - I can't capture Lisboa now because it remains English and they're subdued. As Lisboa is an objective, this means I'll need to succeed in Spain AND take Moscow AND St. Petersburg to win (or 3 cities in either plus Istanbul). I didn't think of this when I invaded England, but I guess I had a choice of invading England or using the troops for Spain and I got an objective out of it, anyway.

All in all the invasion was not anywhere near as difficult as I had imagined and if I hadn't made a mistake earlier, I would have barely any casualties. I think you need to bolster the defenses significantly for 1.1. You may also want to rework Portugal either by giving it to the French via an event if London is captured or by giving it to Spain so the player still has a chance to seize this objective.

Last edited:
All in all the invasion was not anywhere near as difficult as I had imagined and if I hadn't made a mistake earlier, I would have barely any casualties. I think you need to bolster the defenses significantly for 1.1. You may also want to rework Portugal either by giving it to the French via an event if London is captured or by giving it to Spain so the player still has a chance to seize this objective.

As I mentioned to McMonkey in another thread, I never really tested the British and Ottoman invasions, and therefore the fact that you and he are doing exactly that is providing me with some invaluable feedback.

In the case of England, it originally had a much higher productive capacity, so much so that in one of my previous play tests it had already built over a hundred units in the British Isles by January 1808. Perhaps a third of these had been transported to Ireland, as at first, I allowed the British to build Naval Transports, whereas now they are allocated through the event file (so that I may better control where they are placed).

Nevertheless, the 70+ units was still a substantial force and I thought this is crazy as of all the Coalition powers; England had the smallest land army by far. Any player who managed to achieve maritime supremacy (MaS) would require an invasion force almost as big as would be required for Russia.

As a consequence, I substantially reduced the British productive capacity by removing some production improvements from cities and just as importantly half of its factory tiles, thinking in part that getting MaS would be very difficult to achieve in any case and very few players would ever have the opportunity to launch an invasion. This had the desired effect of significantly reducing the number of British troops.

When I started getting feedback from players on how close they were to achieving MaS, I thought I had better start revisiting the whole British/Portuguese situation.

Therefore, in the next version of the scenario when France subdues England the following will occur:
  • France will receive a 2000 francs bonus
  • All Portuguese cities that are not currently under its control will become French (though you will have to send troops to them if you want them to be garrisoned)
  • All Spanish cities that are currently controlled by England will revert to Spanish control
  • All British and Portuguese units in the Iberian Peninsula will be disbanded
  • All British Naval and Royal Marines units will be disbanded
  • All Swedish units will be disbanded
Once, France achieves MaS, the event will provide England with some additional ground troops in England, though based on your feedback I fear it’s not enough. As such, I will consider maybe adding one or more minor forts to the start up and re-add some of the factory tiles to help boost that country’s production output.

As such, in your current scenario, you can use the cheat menu to allocate yourself all the Portuguese cities.

In addition, you were actually quite closer to success in Spain then you appear to have realized. If you may recall, it is possible to renew the Franco-Spanish alliance by achieving the following goals before January 1808:
  • Achieve Maritime Supremacy,
  • Prevent England from capturing more than one Spanish city, and
  • Conquer the Portuguese cities of Lagos, Lisboa and Oporto
If the alliance is renewed, Spain will remain in the pro-French camp for the remainder of the war and just as importantly (and I fear I didn’t make this clear enough) when this happens both the objective cities of Cadiz and Madrid will be turned over to French control.

EDIT: Also very important condition, that you don't have more than 12 French units in the Peninsula prior to renewing the alliance.

Last edited:
Another way you might consider is if French ground forces are detected in England, you could teleport the British units in Spain (or northern Germany) back to England with an appropriate text box talking about Wellington being recalled to save the King. It was pretty curious to be in the middle of a British invasion yet keep getting pop up boxes about more troops arriving in Iberia while I found none in England! You might consider stopping those events by adding a state for "FrenchHaveLanded" or something along those lines.

I'd think if England were invaded in force, abandoning their other theatres would be a logical step for the Brits to take.

In addition, you were actually quite closer to success in Spain then you appear to have realized. If you may recall, it is possible to renew the Franco-Spanish alliance by achieving the following goals before January 1808:

I was aware of this but I think I only had 5 turns or so left before January 1808 by the time Britain seized a Spanish city and triggered the border to disappear. I think that's the trigger anyway. I haven't looked too closely at it. I didn't think that 5 turns would be enough time to get an army to Portugal and take those three cities and if I didn't take them, I'd have a cut off army surrounded by a very strong, very hostile Spanish AI. I was not, however, aware that the Spanish objective cities would revert to my control.

Another way you might consider is if French ground forces are detected in England, you could teleport the British units in Spain (or northern Germany) back to England with an appropriate text box talking about Wellington being recalled to save the King. It was pretty curious to be in the middle of a British invasion yet keep getting pop up boxes about more troops arriving in Iberia while I found none in England! You might consider stopping those events by adding a state for "FrenchHaveLanded" or something along those lines.

I'd think if England were invaded in force, abandoning their other theatres would be a logical step for the Brits to take.

That's a very interesting concept. I would have to look at that closer.

I was aware of this but I think I only had 5 turns or so left before January 1808 by the time Britain seized a Spanish city and triggered the border to disappear. I think that's the trigger anyway. I haven't looked too closely at it. I didn't think that 5 turns would be enough time to get an army to Portugal and take those three cities and if I didn't take them, I'd have a cut off army surrounded by a very strong, very hostile Spanish AI. I was not, however, aware that the Spanish objective cities would revert to my control.

There are actually two triggers for activating the French entrance into Spain: if the British take a Spanish city OR after the Peace Treaty of Tilsit is imposed on Prussia.

An unintended consequence of capturing the naval wonders in London seems to be that I now have infinite ammo for the deus points. You might want to have those wonders become obsolete when the French capture them.

Thank you for the information. In addition to the 'British Navy' and 'British Admiralty' naval wonders, I will also add 'The British Trade' to the list of wonders to make obsolete. It's unlikely that the British merchant marine and commerce would have worked for the benefit of France.

Tootall, can you please clarify if Russia can attack France after the 5th Coalition War, or if France must initiate hostilities?

If France hasn't gone to war with Russia by the end of 1812, a timer is set for that country to go to war with the French sometime in early 1813.

Good to hear. My campaign in Spain is going much better now that I'm only fighting the Spanish and not the Spanish and British. I'm trying to decide if it makes more sense to attack the Ottomans next or Russia. I suppose if Russia refuses to ever recognize Napoleon as the rightful ruler of Europe, they must be dismantled!!!

Spain is considerably easier without the British to deal with. I was able to subdue it by September of 1811. I did use cheat mode to give myself Portugal as per your instructions, as well as to delete British units in Iberia so they'd stop clogging up the roads. Now I plan to move the army east and research war with Russia. It won't be possible to subdue the Russian Bear by 1813 so I'll probably need to aim for limited goals so I can keep enough of an army behind to deal with Prussia and Austria should they revolt. I do think I can achieve a decisive victory before 1815 as I only need one Russian objective city.

All in all this remains quite a fun game. It's a very different experience with Britain out of the match though.

Spain is considerably easier without the British to deal with. I was able to subdue it by September of 1811.

Yes, this makes sense. Without British support and troops in the Peninsula, Spain could not have hoped to resist the French juggernaut.

I did use cheat mode to give myself Portugal as per your instructions, as well as to delete British units in Iberia so they'd stop clogging up the roads.

That's fine. As I indicated, based on your feedback and suggestions, in the next version British resistance to a French invasion will be much more challenging but the rewards greater as well.

As well, I will be modifying the naval stats to make them more competitive on both sides. Gone will be the days were your ships can lay in port to attack British vessels. To achieve maritime supremacy you will have to fight it out on the high seas, with much greater risks but greater rewards.

Now I plan to move the army east and research war with Russia. It won't be possible to subdue the Russian Bear by 1813 so I'll probably need to aim for limited goals so I can keep enough of an army behind to deal with Prussia and Austria should they revolt. I do think I can achieve a decisive victory before 1815 as I only need one Russian objective city.

As I indicated in a private thread with McMonkey, I'm thinking of adding a time limit on when you can subdue Russia (probably no latter than early 1813). If you have invaded the country prior to that date and failed to subdue it, it will remain at war with you for the remainder of the game. Of course, as I mentionned in a prior post, if you don't declare war on it prior to 1813 Russia will go to war with you sometime in that year.

Hi McMonkey,

I sent you a PM a few days back on our Napoleon thread. If you have the time, I'd be interested to get your feedback on my question. Let me know. Thanks.

Wow.

Returning to good old Civ2 during some convalescence and I'm shocked to see such a splendid new scenario. It's great to see that a talented scenario designer can achieve so much with the new (to me, anyway) LUA tools. It really is well done. And, despite getting hung up restarting to get a better handle on the rules (and therefore not yet getting past the Fourth Coalition), I will agree with others who say this may well be THE current champ for "best" Civ2 scenario. Perhaps I'm prejudiced by the fact that it's one of my favorite eras (and I've actually played the old War and Peace game - good job capturing that look/feel, btw), but it will surely be among most people's favorites, I suspect.

Let me know if you're still looking for feedback. Earlier posts implied you were working on an update. Happy to provide some, if so. Else I'll just heap praise on y'all for a job well done.

Gotta get back to Prussia!

Top Bottom