Napoléon I 1805 - 1815 ToTPP and Lua scenario updated to v1.3

I would echo John's comments regarding the nature of the challenge. The AI is a real handful, but not just due to large numbers such as in older scenarios (my Spanish Civil War for example). To be forced to make tactical retreats & sacrifice cities to fight on another day is not completely unique, but it almost feels like I'm playing a human and not the AI at times. As I just said in a PM to Tootall, the attrition/supply system is a real game changer.

It's not necessarily unique to make tactical retreats (you have to do this in Red Front and Fortress Europe for example), but it is pretty unique, IMO, to be at turn 48, to have won a series of victories against other nations, and still be seriously in peril. By turn 48 on most scenarios you are well on your way to total victory as you just start to snow ball. Even in Red Front, which is kind of the gold standard, if you survive past 1942 and don't lose Stalingrad you're not being stopped. Napoleon keeps it interesting and you on the edge of your seat throughout the whole game -- a direct result of the unique mini-victory conditions for the different wars, forced peace, return of core cities, and (much less glamorously, but perhaps most importantly) the judicious use of the new onProduction event which prevents the building of certain units to certain cities.

I only have a handful of cities that can produce units. I need all of my cities to. This is causing big problems and the army is a finite resource that must be carefully managed. This is a truly unique experience. Tootall and Knighttime's heads might start to explode from all the praise but it's Christmas Eve and you two deserve it! :lol:

To all at the Scenario League, have a very Merry Christmas and a happy new year. I have a feeling 2019 is set to be one of the most productive in a very long time.

You as well! I too think 2019 has great promise but let's take a quick second to celebrate 2018. We had four full-length scenarios released and a fifth one posted about in the wiki :D. We saw the advent of lua-based scenarios with Caesar's Gallic Wars, the epitome of the macro-based work with Techuseh's outstanding Sealion, a new kind of masterpiece in Napoleon, a scenario that's jam-packed with new features in Over the Reich, and what appears to be a pretty good (but likely untested) work in African Colonies. When was the last time that five scenarios were released in one year? It's great to see things pick up steam again and wonderful to reconnect with all of you.

Now... Back to fighting off Wellington!

Case in point: I'm on turn 49 and I've just lost 9... count 'em NINE cities to a full-fledged, well-led AI counterattack. It's not a horde of units either. But I don't have the ability to be everywhere at once!

2018 has indeed been a vintage year for the Scenario League. I remember when I first discovered the Scenario League/Apolyton back in the early 2000s, being blown away by all the cool scenarios. I remember getting the impression that I'd turned up too late for the party and most of the creators had already moved on to other projects (Nemo etc...). I thought I would try my hand at making my own scenario but didn't expect it to be a long term hobby, just a bit of entertainment before I moved on to newer titles. How wrong I was.

Back then I'd not believe you if you'd told me that in 2018 Civ2 would still be going strong and would in fact be enjoying a renaissance. For years it has felt like the community was fading away, but every now and then someone would have a burst of energy and produce a new scenario to keep us all engaged. Fairline's units being a particular inspiration for many of us to keep on plugging away. Of course there were periods of intense activity and long lulls. The ToTPP in it's original form was inspiring. However I still always felt like the community was close to extinction. That it was only a matter of time before things finally petered out.

This past year has been a challenge for me personally. The loss of many of my projects & resources that I'd spent years building really demoralized me. However, these past few months have given me a new sense of optimism for the future. Just as I couldn't see a long term future for Civ2 back in the early 2000s, it's hard to imagine us all still plugging away in another twenty years time, but as the game has proven time & again - it has passed the Test of Time and is still full of surprises.

In my own game of Napoleon, I too fell pray to many of the follies the Emperor did. I managed to subdue Spain and assemble my Grande Armee for the invasion of Russia. The spring & summer went according to plan. Well almost. Winter began just in time to stall my armies and save Russia from total defeat. I survived the harsh winter but with a depleted army and now face 1813 with not just the Russians to contend with but also the threat of attacks in my rear from Austria &/or Prussia. This has scuppered my plans to march on Istanbul & means I'll have to spend another winter in Russia, but this time even more extended and less well reinforced. You underestimate this scenario at your peril!

I need to try this scenario again. I was thoroughly destroyed by the AI. It's November of 1810 and my fronts have completely collapsed. We are in full retreat to France. The Spanish and British have each broken through the Pyrenees, Austria routed our army in northern Italy, Russia joined the fray and brought considerable forces to bear, and Britain made several landings, capturing key ports. There's no coming back from this though perhaps I'll see it through to the final curtain. I will try this again and see how it goes! I did have a blast through

I need to try this scenario again. I was thoroughly destroyed by the AI. It's November of 1810 and my fronts have completely collapsed. We are in full retreat to France. The Spanish and British have each broken through the Pyrenees, Austria routed our army in northern Italy, Russia joined the fray and brought considerable forces to bear, and Britain made several landings, capturing key ports. There's no coming back from this though perhaps I'll see it through to the final curtain. I will try this again and see how it goes! I did have a blast through

If I can ask you to play this one to the bitter end as it could provide me with some invaluable information. This is unchartered territory for me, as though I’ve certainly got the occasional bloody nose in Spain and lost cities therein, including Madrid, I’ve never not been able ultimately to overcome the enemy there. Though the British have come near Bilbao and Burgos, they’ve never managed to take them back from me (and as such, I never added move to commands that pushed England into France from Spain and will do so in my next version).

Overcoming Austria in the War of the Fifth Coalition is a crucial step in the scenario and because you are encountering difficulties I hadn’t quite foreseen, I might have to revise some of the subsequent conditions related to future Russian actions and the war of the Sixth Coalition to take this into account.

Equally, though there may have been turns were I lost 2, maybe 3 cities max, I’ve never come across a situation where I lost 9. As such, this is an ideal situation you are facing for me to learn:

ONE - just how far can the AI go: As you may know, there are two automatic victory conditions for the AI: If Napoléon is killed a second time OR if Paris falls to the Coalition. Though I’ve encountered whiffs of danger on the horizon, Paris was never seriously in danger in any of my play through and I’d be curious to see if the AI could go all the way.

TWO – can you still redress the situation: It seems like you’ve encountered some pretty serious setbacks but France in 1810 should still have the means to redress itself. It sounds unlikely that you would be able to gather the army required to invade Russia but can you still re-establish order in central Europe and hold on to the six objective cities in that regions (including Paris and Venezia). If so it would still be possible for you to reconquer Madrid before the end of the game and therefore garner a stalemate.

How can this be achieved? If you are still building naval units in Bordeaux and Toulon, switch the production of the cities to infantry units as soon as possible. If you are still focusing on science, turn that around to maximize your gold return instead in order to buy new units. Return Napoleon to Paris either to increase your gold reserve or build new veteran Régiment de Ligne. Send Murat to Hanover to buy cavalry units. As such, while you try to hold the line wherever you can (but don’t hesitate to abandon positions that are hopeless, but not critical, as this will allow you to concentrate more of your forces together and make it more difficult for the AI to overrun your positions). In the back rebuild a sizable force before launching well coordinated counter-attacks, targeted especially against Austria if it stills fighting the War of the Fifth Coalition (as this should force Russia to return to peace as well since it sounds you were unable to keep the cities that would have kept it out of this particular war).

Last edited:
Tootall, they've taken Bayonne, Toulouse, Perpignan, Marseille, Lyon (though (I just won this back), all of Germany, all of Holland. I have no more access to any reinforcements from Allied states and have very limited ability to raise any new troops in France. The game is lost. but I'll keep on playing to see what I can do, if it will really help you.

I woudln't read too much into this playthrough of mine for changes. I made some pretty critical mistakes that cost me this game. I think I'll have a much better showing next time. I do have some feedback based on this playthrough that I can share a bit later.

Wow, I didn't realize the situation was that dire. Well, at least, you confirmed one things is that the AI can move into France without those extra move to commands.

No need to continue if you prefer to start again but I would be interested to get your last save game if you don't mind sending it to me.

The first time I played Red Front and Fortress Europe, I had a similar result. Seeing that you and McMonkey have had some success I'm sure it's just me, so take this feedback with a grain of salt. You're already well aware of how much I enjoy this scenario so I trust you'll view anything below as it is intended: constructively.

First, a little background on my game and where I think things went wrong. I'll send my notes along shortly.

My game started with a bad draw, as Charles fortified in Venice and I spent considerable time and energy dislodging him. My Po Valley offensive ground to a halt for 5 turns and I had to divert major assets from north of the Alps to finally kill him. It took a full barrage from 9 various artillery units plus 2 light infantry to kill him and take Venice. This seems excessive and would have major implications later in Spain and Germany.

Because of this, it takes 10 turns to finally win the 3rd Coalition War, and 11 to secure my southern front in Italy. Prussia declared war on turn 14.

I do pretty well against Prussia. Murat has a number of cavalry nearby and makes excellent use of them. I kill Blucher but don't get a pop up??

I push on in Prussia despite a scare from Kutusov and while I feel I am stretched far, I'm able to win the war by November 1807 (turn 28).

Bear in mind, while all this was going on, I had what I thought was a great chance of securing naval supremacy. Decisions with some ships were made with the belief I could lose 10. Troops were positioned accordingly. By June 1807 I had sunk 15 British ships. It was 5 until late fall, I believe, that I realized that wasn't going to be an option. I thus started repositioning troops earmarked for Britain to the Spanish border.

On turn 32, Spain opened up for invasion. I made a critical mistake in that I immediately attacked before the full army had arrived. I attacked without even having a general. Not smart in this scenario. Not smart at all.

By turn 36 my piece meal attack floundered without necessary artillery, much of which was still in the east on the defensive.

I had a two pronged attack against Spain at first, but the Northern assault had no chance and stalled immediately. I decided to move much of their artillery to the south, but after this was done, Wellington and a few other British Generals showed up. Given that it toom 9 artillery and 2 light infantry to kill Charles earlier, I doubt I have any chance against two.

My fight in Spain is further hampered by another mistake - poor scouting. I had planned to take Zaragoza but it wasnt until turn 40 that I realized that I didn't have heavy enough artillery to accomplish this.

By turn 47 the Brits had pushed me to the Pyrenees, but I was holding out. In the south, Napoleon had taken Malaga and I planned to catch my breath before advancing further.

The very next turn, Austria launched the 5th Coalition War. It captured 3 cities on the first turn (it broke through Ratisnon and Munich was undefended behind it--there went my Bavarian allies).

This must have coincided with the arrival or awakening of a few Spanish generals who attacked Malaga and inflicted very heavy casualties.

The British landed in totally undefended northern Germany and only the presence of Murat allows any limited operations with a hastily built lancers.

Here I made another critical mistake. I had a large army assembled in Dresden and Venice with the intention of launching a full blown invasion of Austria if they defied me. I shouldnt have rushed this attack.

Turn 49 is my worst. I lose 9 total cities: 3 cities in Spain, Ulm and Lublin to Austria, and Straslund, Lubeck, Hamburg, and Hanover to Britain. Murat is wounded.

On turn 50, to add insult to injury, Russia declares war and captures Warsaw after a fierce struggle. More Allies gone.

At this point it's really downhill. I'll post more later.

These reports are REALLY making me nervous about trying this scenario when I get back to my computer with Civ2 installed. ;)

Oof! That was a rough sequence of events. Some of the events appear to be tied to historical events (such as the British landing in Northern Germany to support the 5th Coalition) while others appear to be randomized, such as the British reinforcements on the Peninsula and re-spawning of wounded or new Generals. It seems that at every turn fortune turned its back on you and got behind your enemies.

For me, the most important unit in this scenario is the Hussars, at least when on the offensive. Knowing where to concentrate your artillery and where to bypass is crucial. Of course it's a combined arms game with no single unit able to go it alone (like Armour in the original Civ2).

I also prefer scenarios that kick my ass on the first attempt, or at least test me to maximum of my abilities. Frederick the Great was one of those tough nuts. Napoleon reminds me of that classic in many ways.

Perhaps surprisingly by turn 52 I'm still thinking I can pull off a stalemate.

I rush troops from Holland and a few from central Germany and am able to recapture Hanover.

I realize that I need to hold Stuttgart at all costs to defend Paris, as the AI seems to have no problem at all seizing numerous defenseless cities per turn, and that's all there is between Stuttgart and Paris. I manage to get 2 cannons there to guard against an Austrian push.

I start pulling troops back - I had seized Prague with my ill-advised offensive but realize the troops are needed to fight the Austrians in the field so I pull them back. In the south, the troops I should have kept on the defensive a few turns to blunt Austria's defensive are annihilated and Trieste falls on turn 54 (and with it Lannes, who is wounded). This coincides with two British generals launching an offensive out of the Pyrenees - significant damage is inflicted on the defenders at Bayonne.

All this time, Napoleon has been conducting a fighting withdrawal out of Spain with most of the artillery I have left. He escapes by turn 55, but the artillery lags behind and a large army is reduced to a small one.

Thus, my army in Italy is shattered by my mistake of launching too early of an offensive;
My army in Spain is shattered by my mistake of launching a piece meal offensive;
My army in Germany is scattered and dealing with threats from three major powers while trying to conduct some sort of withdrawal. I consider it absolutely critical that I can hold on to the minor German powers who are a considerable source of my manpower. In a few turns it's pretty clear that I can't.

On turn 55, Verona falls, but more importantly, that damned Charles shows up just outside of Frankfurt and I have nothing to stop him. He takes the city and there goes more Allies (remember, Munich has already fallen). It is very frustrating seeing so many reinforcements stuck on the European Powers map with nowhere to go. I note that when Warsaw fell they were deleted. Did you intend to NOT do this for the German minor states (perhaps thinking no one would bungle it up as much as I did :lol: ). You may want to revisit it because it's certainly possible to mess this up enough for this to happen.

Anyway, I keep plugging away though on turn 57 Genova, Torino, and Niece all fall. In the north, I manage to beat back the British in northern Germany and "secure" this front. That's great and all. Finally something to celebrate! Then on the same darned turn the Brits launch a naval invasion at Anvers!!! They take full advantage of the fact that I had to reduce the garrison there to fight them in northern Germany, and they land behind me. They also seize Liege that turn, as it is undefended.

At this point, I understand that the scenario is hopelessly lost and now I'm just wondering if I can prevent the fall of Paris. I abandon northern Germany, which I just secured (there is a theme emerging here of wasted offensives). I go into a full blown retreat. I have no hope of dislodging Charles from Frankfurt with the few artillery I have left (remember, it takes 9). My army east of the Rhine is in critical jeopardy of being cut off. I try to get as many as I can out. I send Napoleon to Paris to start doing administrative tasks and raising troops. It's too late. An army is cut off in Koln, but a minor action near Liege manages to open up a funnel and 6 important infantry escape.

By Turn 65, I write this with a good-sized defense force in Paris, Reims, and Brussels. I think that I can probably hold these cities indefinitely. The Brits are rolling up the Biscay coast and the Spanish are spotted approaching Clermont. I might get some relief in the future because the AI isn't being very smart Allies to one another and Britain is blocking out much of Austria and Russia's paths to get to me. Britain probably has the smallest army in the region.

I might keep the save just because it would be interesting to see if I can could salvage anything here. I think it's impossible to win of course and probably impossible at this point to even achieve a stalemate. Perhaps a partial defeat would be a good objective now :lol: Anyway, I'm attaching it in case anyone wants to try.

In Retrospect, a list of my mistakes:
-Attacking piece meal or without a plan cost me terribly, especially in Spain.

-Not understanding that requirements to secure naval dominance left troops out of position. I chose to use them piece meal in Spain. I should have waited for them all to arrive on the border first and to attack in strength.

-Not waiting for the AI to blunt their own offensive in the war of the 5th Coalition directly resulted in my front completely collapsing, as did being unaware of the historic British landings in northern Germany, which led me to completely leave this front unsecured.

-I spent a lot of money on happiness improvements that don't really seem to have much use here. I found that I still had to use an entertainer and in many instances it probably would have just been cheaper to avoid the improvement altogether as you seem to need all three in most cities to get any benefit. A size 2 city can't even be kept happy with just one. I'm not sure if this is your doing or the game's but I'll be adjusting my strategy going forward.

-I didn't do a good job of min/maxing. I very much had a leisurely take on development and the economy at first and didn't get serious until it was too late. Turn 1 will take me considerably longer next time.

-Likewise, I didn't really bother moving Gendarmes much considering them worthless units. Thus, I had a few cities with these stacked in France when they should have been cannon fodder at the fronts. Next time, I'll be moving these too. They might do an OK job stacked on hills to slow down enemy offensives (I still think they're pretty much worthless in the cities).

-I probably should have taken greater advantage of Napoleon's administrative costs early on.

-I really needed to figure out a way to rush towards the heavier artillery to take on Zaragoza.

Some Constructive Feedback (which you need to take with a grain of salt given how poorly I did)

-I dislike the naval attrition model for a very specific reason: Villeaneuve almost always shows up in the winter, far from port, and by the time his fleet gets even to Biscay, it's half-dead. This is totally out of my control. I don't think naval attrition is all that accurate (it's not like they suddenly stop having supplies on board during winter) and I think if you want to replicate the risk of storms perhaps you should give ships the trireme flag during winter months and make the likelihood that they'll be sunk pretty small, but enough that it can happen, thus scaring the player into working along the coastline. Given that you don't allow shore bombardments during the winter I think these two things would combine to make naval operations effectively neutered during that time.

Bear in mind that you've stacked the deck against France in the first place. It's very rare for a naval shell to be able to kill a three decker in one shot but trois points routinely get destroyed by one three decker in return. In fact, pretty much any ship that's out to sea is effectively lost to another British ship out there (a slight exaggeration, but not by much). You're going to find that the people who invade England are going to tend to be either very lucky, or gaming the game. I know if I can get a few three deckers to Amsterdam quickly enough, and garrison that city with enough troops to preclude the AI from shore bombarding it, I'll be able to invade England as the AI stacks just below it and I can attack them from a city without issue.

You could remove this ability by only allowing naval munitions to generate at sea via lua, but then I suspect you'll never see anyone invade England unless you make other balancing changes.

-I will reaffirm that I dislike how hard Charles is to dislodge from a city. Maybe it's not a big deal if you're doing really well and have 9 cannons in the area. But consider that generals are pretty common in this game. If you end up fighting on numerous fronts as I did (and fighting 5-6 generals), you end up in a situation where you can't kill any of them unless they venture out. If the AI doesn't do that, you're never retaking the city they park in.

-Pulling up an improvement in the civilopedia causes the large picture to have the stock photo from the game. I think this might be a "me" issue because I think(?) there is an option in ToTPP to use the larger icon photo instead but if I'm wrong about this, consider investing some time on the internet grabbing some more appropriate photos because this is such a beautiful scenario that it really is marred with this (avoidable) glitch. If you intend someone to use a different setting, consider putting that in the installation instructions or elsewhere in the readme.

-Consider adding some minor text to the civilopedia, or utilizing the "tab" feature Prof. Garfield and I implemented in OTR, where there is some minor help for units. I'm not seeking historic information as you did with your Vietnam scenario. I think bullet points with some highlights (like you have in your game tips for the ships) would be good. "Frigate: can fire one naval shell per turn at cost of all MP" or "Napoleon: grants 50% bonus to infantry or shell attack or can use diplomatic bonus in cities." It would be good to have a handy reference in game for the changes you've made with lua. I get that you've put much of this in the readme but investing a few hours into this would, I believe, be a big help to the player.

Attached are the game save and my word document with turn by turn progress reports. This note took longer than I anticipated so I didn't fill out the excel sheet yet, but I will later.

Edit-revisit if you want to have units in training for ALL cities delete if the city is captured or not (perhaps on a delay of a turn or two to give the player a chance to recapture it). It IS possible to lose this bad!!!

All in all a top-notch scenario, truly a new standard for masterpiece. Please take all of the above constructively as I did absolutely have a blast here and am truly inspired to get cracking on my own scenario about a European megalomaniac trying to rule the world. I think there are plenty of other designers who are probably chomping at the bit to implement much of what you two did here and you should both be very proud.

Attachments

• Napoleon Playtest.zip
    69.6 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
As an aside, I think the "tab system" implemented above would also work to check if the leader bonus applied or not, though I'm not positive.

Attached is the excel sheet tracking my game's progress.

Attachments

• Scenario Casualties Tracking Napoleon_JP.zip
    18.5 KB · Views: 163
Hi John,

Thank you so much for your review and for sticking with your particular play through to the bitter end! You have provided me some invaluable data to analyze. I will take the time to review it in more detail before giving a response but there are a few points you've raised which I've already been looking into modifying (in particular the initial placement of Charles, naval bombardment of French coastal cities and the overall naval combat abilities).

I think you're analysis of your mistakes was quite accurate and explains to a large extent why you failed. On the other hand, it should serve you well the next time you tackle the scenario.

On a positive note, so that you know that it is possible to beat the scenario, McMonkey has been giving me reports on a private thread of his progress and it seems as though he's very close to achieving a decisive victory in 1814/1815 (though he's made some of the same observations you have about how to improve the naval aspect of the game).

Once I have his final review I will be able to merge the two together to determine where are all the areas that can be improved. It's up to you if you want to wait before playing again but it could take a month, probably more, before I could release a version 1.1.

These reports are REALLY making me nervous about trying this scenario when I get back to my computer with Civ2 installed. ;)

Hi Patine,

If you enjoy a challenge then by all means give the scenario a try. Achieving a stalemate should definitely be accessible to most players, a marginal victory after a number of playthroughs and a decisive victory only if you really bring your A game.

In the end, remember its just a game designed to have fun. It's not like you'll end up on St Helena island if you lose...:)

If it would help you I could certainly commit to completing a second playtest within a month. Mostly for my own pride I intend on playing again shortly, but I'd be happy to keep detailed notes again if it will assist you.

I would like to know if you definitely plan on changing Charles and what the plan is because I'd like to make that change at least to my rules file before starting as I believe that can really sway the early game. Having to reposition almost all heavy artillery south of the Alps was not ideal in this playthrough.

If it would help you I could certainly commit to completing a second playtest within a month. Mostly for my own pride I intend on playing again shortly, but I'd be happy to keep detailed notes again if it will assist you.

I would like to know if you definitely plan on changing Charles and what the plan is because I'd like to make that change at least to my rules file before starting as I believe that can really sway the early game. Having to reposition almost all heavy artillery south of the Alps was not ideal in this playthrough.

By all means, if you want to play another round go right ahead, and if you have other observations to make feel free to let me know.

With regards Charles, my initial thoughts is to have him randomly appear in Wien, Prag or Olmutz instead and add a few extra move to commands that would push him towards Bavaria so that he didn't try to entrench in these cities (I already have a MTC that does this from Wien to Ratisbon). I would have to test how well this works but for certain it would solve the problem of players not being able to conquer northern Italy quickly.

Last edited:
John,

Just to qualify my progress & put it in perspective. To deal with the channel ports issue I used a bit of a cheat method involving inland garrisons & reloading the AI turn if landing parties showed up (which is a pain to get the events to duplicate), so my apparent success would have been severely curtailed if I'd had to expend lots of units trying to hold the French & Low Countries coastline! I figured this issue was going to be addressed in some way in a future update so it was justified (at least in my mind). I don't want to give the impression that I'm some kind of tactical genius and that there was some kind of secret formula that other players were missing.

As for my game, I did have a few lucky breaks, such as enemy leaders exposing themselves in front of cities with massed artillery on their way to a siege and one or two occasions where unexpected opportunities that were not in my strategy presented themselves at opportune moments (such as taking Moskva in 1813 when my intended focus had been Sankt-Peterburg). Scouting played a big part in this. Having spotted Barclay de Tolly in StP I decided I did not have enough artillery to conduct a successful siege against him & the red fortress & swapped my focus to other fronts. Victory in Russia came as a bit of a surprise in the end as I had anticipated another savage winter. This was fortuitous as it has freed up the Grande Armee just in time to return to Central Europe & deal with the Austrians. This scenario will be different every time you play due to the random settings of some of the events, especially in Iberia. I will most definitely be playing again in the future, hopefully without resorting to gamey tactics along the channel.

This play-test has gone considerably better. I've managed to secure naval dominance (by gaming the game and playing whack-a-mole in Holland and the Pas de Calais). This was achieved in May of 1807. Unfortunately Britain never took a Spanish city so I never received an offer to send troops into Spain. I've built a considerable army up on the border with Spain, but Britain is such a pain with their naval invasions that I might take it upon myself to invade them instead and see how that goes, especially since I don't believe you've had a playtest do this yet. I'm probably not the best general for it, but I'm the only one you've got!!!

I'm going to shoot for an invasion in force in 11 turns or so. Spring, 1808. I'll likely draw down the Spanish border and just play defensively there for now.

I've been paying very careful attention to my finances and have made a point to rush science. I am 1 turn away from Supply logistics and plan to simply abandon science after that and devout everything I have to the treasury so that I can rush enough units to successfully defend the Pyrenees, blunt a future Austrian attack in the 5th Coalition War, and subdue England. That would open up some options. Spain being a pretty interesting one without the British constantly reinforcing it.

Top Bottom