Napoleonic Scenario Rocks!!

Winston

Warlord
Ive had C3C for 6 days now and Ive managed to complete the Mesopotamia, Middle Ages, and Meso America scenarios and now I am playing the Napoleonic scenario - and its easily the best of the four so far!
The unit graphics are really cool and they look so much better than the original musketman and rifleman. Its also refreshing that you don't need to spend loads of time on empire management because the civs start off with a good infrastructure and captured cities retain their culture rating and most of their buildings (I really hope this feature has been extended to the main game).
Its relatively easy to get the best units because you don't need many techs so you can divert most of your tax income to the treasury afterwards (more gold, more units!).
All of these factors combined means that you can focus upon building massive armies of cool units to squash your rivals in one massive slugfest - exactly my kind of conquest!
Ive been playing as the UK on Monarchy setting and Ive been kicking ass (I sent poor old Boney off to Elbe Island in less than 30 turns!) and now Im taking on Russia, Austria, Denmark, and the Ottomon Empire - great fun!
I think next time I play this scenario though, Im going to play as France on a harder setting - I think France is in a more difficult position than the UK (the UK's Navy makes Britain virtually unassailable), so next time this scenario will be a serious challenge.
Well done to Firaxis for making this excellent scenario, I look forward to the other 5 I have yet to play.
What does everyone else think of this conquest? Are there any other conquests that people prefer over this one? Any thoughts welcome.

I only played mesoamerica with the maya.
Mesopotamia with Egipt
AoD with the portuguese (best one so far ...)
Playing Rise of Rome with the Cartag.

@Winston:

You should give Prussia a try as well. Being encircled by France, Russia and Austria, without natural borders which could block enemy movements, the Prussians really have a hard time.
Currently, I have taken Amsterdam and Brussels (Boulogne got lost to the French back again), my units have entrenched in three forts in the 'Hunsrueck and Luxembourg' area between Nancy and Frankfurt.
Since the Imperial Guard and the Imperial Cavalry is almost double at strength as the Prussians are, it is really hard to hold those forts, although they are on hills...

And there are some Ottoman troops approaching the Prussian borders south of Leipzig :eek:

I liked the way an Imperial Calvary Army can have 3 movment points. In my game I got all of Italy, half of Spain, one city in England, the Dutch city (I'm not going to try to spell it), and half of Austria. I found it odd when the Ottomans Kept Declaring War on me. So far the Invation of England is only one city. I barly made it to the coast and now that I am trying to get London I am losing a lot of troops.

yeah prussia is deffinitlly at a disadvantage against the surrounding empires, but i managed to with them, thankfully time ran out and the mass of invading russian guards didn't make it to my cities

I'm plodding through the Napoleonic scenario as Spain. I'm winning by score alone. (I eh...wiped out Portugal.)

You guys might like to know that you [as France] can mobilize yr cities from the start and, unlike the epic game, you can still produce non-military goods like temples for yr newly conquered cities. I only found this out in the last ten turns or so of my game, so I havent seen what kinda effect this has.

This Scenario is nice, but the time out just sucks...
I play as France and just wiped the Neplans, Portuguese, the Dutch’s, and almost wiped the Austria, got Bucharest from Ottomans and loose Amsterdam to the Prussians, but my offensive troops our on the two remaining Austrian city’s, then I will kick the ass the Ass of that Prussians backstabbers just attack me with a RoP, I was in war with every body except Spain (my South border was not so good and then I have Portugal, starving and a VP), and my allies they suck almost get their ass kicked by the Swedes, and Russia Peace but Trace Embargo, and Furious because of a earlier war, which I loose because of the stupid Spanish allied with the Brittan’s and almost loose Marsssailes and Lisbon, just saved by a quick peace with Russians, and the ******ed get the Code Civil for Free... :( , kill just a few Spain with my closer army and then Peace, for 28 gold.... :p
But then came the time expiration warning, grrrrrrrrr :(
When I was just getting organized and very strong, except for the Brittan’s I can't do Naval War because of 3 Fronts attacking me the Prussians, Austria and Ottomans...and had finished Battlefield Medicine and School??? (The one that raise armies to 4...) and I already had 5 armies on the field and the Six just finished......
And the Grand Battery really help and are cheaper, city make almost 3/Grand_Battery, against 1/Guard_Infantry
Won with around 36000 Points.

Going to take the Limit's Out...

Don't like the edges of the Scenario, was thinking on getting Ivory in Africa, but it do not display well so I give up... :p

I find the fact that the cities are late 1870s industrial society a bit misleading. That said the content and gameplay is generally top notch, though I would say the Japan one is my favourite one. The Japan one is just so damn customised its unbelievable.

I first tried as France on Monarch but lost as soon as everyone decided to gang up on me. Next I played as Austria and won with a points lead when I ran out of turns. First took Kingdom of Naples, then split Prussia with the French and Russians, then took Amsterdam, then took pretty much all of the Ottoman Empire when time expired. I probably would have won if not for the fact that France and Russia seized two of Prussia's VP locations.

Taking on Russia seems like a huge mistake. Unless another civ challenges them initially, by the time you get to them they probably have hoardes of cossacks.

I've finished the Napoleonic scenario now (got a score of 56238 in the HoF, which I felt was pretty good for my first attempt) Im going to do the Rise of Rome one next.
@ Alex3299, I agree with you about the allies being weak and the rivals being sneaky and backstabbing - when I was playing; the Russians did a sneak attack against the Netherlands and wiped them out in 2 turns - for some reason they were still using musketmen despite the fact that I was exporting saltpeter to them so that they could build riflemen - don't know why -maybe it was an AI quirk :crazyeye: . The Ottomons also sneak attacked me so after that I was ever wary of the crafty mustard yellow ones!
@ Commander Bello, yeah your right; the Prussians seem to have a hard time surrounded by the Russians, the Austrians and the French. The other AI civs gave Prussia a real mauling in the game I just played - by the end Prussia had only 4 cities left and the rest were shared between Russia, Austria and Spain - I left Prussia alone as I was too busy dealing with multiple enemies and I felt a bit sorry for them. I think I will try the scenario with Prussia, they seem to be in a challenging situation and I think it will be interesting as to how successful I will be with them

@ Seanirl, they look like proper Napoleonic Infantry (the existing rifleman looks more like a soldier from the American Civil War). They have white sashes, the correct hats, and back packs - which is cool, but also the scenario designer has assigned the team colours so that Britain is red and France is deep blue so British redcoats ARE redcoats as opposed to orangecoats and French Imperial Guard are dark blue as opposed to girly pink - all the little tweaks just make the units more authentic

Top Bottom