[C3C] Napoleonic Wars and Luxuries

Toxicman007

Custom User Title
So I recently gave in to my nostalgia kick and started up a Napoleonic Wars Conquest as Spain. After many poor Spaniards died, I finally captured Gibraltar to kick off my planned Iberian war. But then I noticed something odd.
If Gibraltar expands enough culture, the resource Ivory will be within its borders. But as the resource is in Africa, I will be unable to connect it. After scouring the map I noticed that all 3 sources of Ivory are in North Africa. Now, this makes sense to me, as we don't have elephants running around Europe, but at the same time I became rather confused.
Why even have the Ivory resource if nobody can access it? Settlers cannot be built, and even with a colony you will have to connect it to a harbour in North Africa.
A similar situation is with Incense, there are also 3 sources of this luxury, 2 of which are again in North Africa and unobtainable. The third is in the Ottoman Empire, but as there is only 1, the AI would almost never trade it away.
So the Incense I am not really complaining about, because if I really REALLY wanted it I could just go to the other side of the map and take it by force. But why even have Ivory if it is quite literally useless? Is it purely for aesthetic purposes? Or is there actually a way to gain access to it (if there is, please share <3 )

Indeed, there is no way of connecting them, that I can see.
Considering that Settlers are unbuildable in this scenario, it should probably have a few more settlements to begin with? For example, it feels very strange that Korsika is uninhibited: after all, Napoleon was born in Korsika, so how can this "Napoleonic Age" come to pass in the first place, if there is no Korsika... :mischief:
And Napoleon's second major campaign was in Egypt, so placing a few Osman towns in Egypt would have been in order. (That would at the same time solve the "unconnectable ivory problem": you could build a colony on the ivory and then connect it via a long road to Kairo... You don't even need to conquer Kairo: as long as you are at peace with the Osmans, you can use their harbor there.)

A city on Koriska makes sense, but regarding your Egypt suggestion; I remember reading somewhere a while back that the developers originally wanted to include the Egyptian campaign and have cities across North Africa. But they sacrificed the plan in order to have more of Europe in the map and focus on the action that went on there.
Perhaps I could make a few changes to the original map, but I am not sure if it is possible to make the map larger without having to start from scratch.

During the Napoleonic Wars, the Barbary Pirates, on the North Coast of Africa were very active in preying on non-British merchant vessels, a large number of which were from the United States. The British were basically paying bribe money to the Barbary States to not bother British ships, while attacking all others, driving more commerce to British vessels. The US Navy fought a war with the Barbary States, primarily Tripoli, during the first decade of the 1800s. Putting a few cities on the North African coast would be quite accurate historically, but the forest elephant of North Africa was long since extinct. The Barbary States did trade for ivory bought by traders through the Sahara Desert.

Top Bottom