Napoleonic Wars - How to win as France?

Directly at the start of the scenario sign alliances with every (neutral) party against your main enemy England. Whenever such alliance is broken by AI simply renew it. As for production france should be rather superior. You can have golden age and mobilisation. The combination makes production skyrocket.

I generally target Naples and the Netherlands first. Then I invade Spain. Prussia and Austria usually aren't too hard to defeat.
Done as if by order. However Austria DoW'd before getting to Spain so they were next, with 5 cities taken (Russia delivered the coup de grace). Then Spain. After taking 4 cities including Madrid Russia sucker-punched me and destroyed Paris while passing through (if I'd demanded removal of alien forces on French territory probably would've been fighting everybody 'cept Denmark). Fortunately had 6 4-unit Imperial Cavalry Armies by then so it wasn't too hard exterminating their forces and capturing another 4 cities in revenge (including Frankfurt which they'd taken from Prussia). In the meantime was careful to keep Ottomans happy with gpt and luxes; they remained busy fighting Spain.

Was disappointed in French Guards units which kept attacking inferior, even red-lined infantry units and losing (not always but enough to be exasperating). All else seemed reasonable. Fair amount of dead time shuffling Grand Batteries from one front to another. Brits were mostly quiescent except for an early Cavalry landing down south which took Bordeaux before recapture next turn and much later between Antwerp and Boulogne--they didn't attack either one but pillaged instead during their brief time ashore.

Actually this may be hard to win as Brits especially at Demigod or beyond. The usual amphibious invasion conundrum. Maybe try it sometime, or as Prussia or Austria. Ottomans or Rooskies might be too easy though; both have only 2 fronts to worry about.

I knew I should have avoided reading in this thread. Cost me a lot of time as I played France and Russia, but it was fun. Now I can go back to PoE.

PoE? Purity of Essence? Sorry couldn't find it in any search and a civ3 acronym list seems to have disappeared. Thanx.

Top Bottom