1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Napoleonic Wars

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by The Guardian, Aug 26, 2009.

1. The Guardian

The Guardian Praetorian

DO the turks appear too strong? Should the Austrians be beefed up or are they able to hold their own. I can see that you are about 170+ turns into the game and your cash reserves are good. How is the unit production speed at this point and are all unit tyypes available to be built?
    This I find interesting. I have not had that problem. In my setup, I have both the regular conquest exe file and a separate no raze start up exe.

The mini map doesn't show any significant changes in the disposition of land holding by the various nations. Is this because they are so evenly matched or is it because there is little aggression, not enough expansionism, no war? ? ?

2. Moff Jerjerrod

Moff Jerjerrod Deity

I don't think the turks are too strong, they have a lot of starting cities and good production. My unit production is good for my big cities. It takes me about 3 to 4 turns to build a Line Infantry and about 6 turns to build the strong cavalry with attack 7. (sorry I can't remember the name of the unit) As far as I can tell I have all units available to build, i.e. 4 different infantry, 5 different cavalry, horse arty and regular arty. I will double check the biq to make sure.

There doesn't seem to be much action outside of Europe but within Europe a lot has happened these past 170+ turns. Germany and one other power was eliminated. Wars are frequent and the AI is definitely aggressive. I think the Iroquois have gained ground against the Americans in North America. They are constantly at war with each other.

3. The Guardian

The Guardian Praetorian

4. Glaciers37

Glaciers37 Chieftain

So far I've played up to the year 1807, I play as Britain in the scenario. Most of the fighting seems to take place in Europe it self, which is fine that's pretty accurate historically. I seem to be left alone with taking overseas colonies and territories, very minimal resistance. Two things I've noticed so far in the game. Having the Naval Academy and Engineering Academy as city improvements, you end up with a large surplus of both frigates and engineers. I have been able to blockade ever coastal city in France, the Netherlands, and Denmark. Plus I have been able to build large squadrons in the English Channel, North Sea, Gibraltar, Malta, the West Indies, Halifax, and Bombay. After all of that I still end up with a surplus of frigates that I end up disbanding as many as I can. Same goes with the engineers, I like the idea but I find that just building workers to be more useful. They automate and do everything the engineer is supposed to do anyway. Maybe for both academies increase the length of time it takes each to produce a unit or go back to making both a small wonder in only one city.

I still can't seem to load mounted officers into troop transports, I don't know if I messed with something in the editor (I have a game saved for playing just the scenario as is and one with adding units to the board to make defense possible in overseas territories, the Americans were driving me out of Canada early)

I love the concept of this game and look forward to any improvements you come up with. You can tell that there was a lot of time and effort put into this, it really shows.

5. The Guardian

The Guardian Praetorian

I found the problem with the mounted officers. In the editor the troop transport is flagged for transporting foot units only. That flag should be removed. ONLY the troop transport should be able to carry mounted units.

Thanks for the analysis. It is helpful. I am making corrections now for version 2.0. The engineer will have 150% worker strength. I will increase the production time of engineers and frigates. new buildings are being added and new resources also. The you will only be able to build one of each of the academies in version 2. Ship cost will increase dramatically as well as the A/D's and new ship types are being added also. I am trying to set it up so that only certain cities can build certain types of ships, particularly the more powerful ships of the line. Example: The resources needed to build 1st Rate ships of the line (Victory Class SOTL) will only be available in London, Plymouth, and Portsmouth.

Version 2 is being done on a global map which means additional civs are being added, and more colonies for the major european civs (British, Spanish, Dutch, Danish, Portuguese, and French).

Only colonial troops will be buildable in the colonies and indigenous forces.

The feedback I am getting now from both you and Moff has been most helpful and hope you will both continue to provide me with you excellent comments. Thanks again.

6. krwhitinglaw

krwhitinglaw Chieftain

I've loaded the scenario and tried to start as Russia, both in 1803 and then in 1804. In both cases, my civ started with every city having a population of 1, wines listed in my resource box, but not in my luxury box (it showed no luxuries), and, as soon as a city expanded to a population of 2 it went into civil disorder - always because of war weariness (when queried it says 100% give peace a chance) while I am a monarchy and not supposed to be subject to war weariness. You can imagine the frustration. It is not possible to play with this problem though i very much wish to play this scenario. Any thoughts about why luxuries don't show in my luxury list but do in my resource list and why war weariness can affect my cities when I am a monarchy? Thanks.

Kelly Whiting

7. The Guardian

The Guardian Praetorian

I understand your frustration. Russia is a very difficult civ to start the game with. Russia is the largest civ in the game. As such, unless handicapped she would easily overwhelm all other civs combined. In the east, russia has the ability to produce treasure and transport it back to the capital to increase the treasury. In order to succeed, russia must concentrate on Growth, Production, science, culture and wealth. Form alliances with your neighbors to the west and be wary of the ottomans. In the 1804 version, all civs start with their historical units in place. Avoid getting entangled in any major conflicts in the 1st two years and prepare for the french onslaught and you should do fine.

8. krwhitinglaw

krwhitinglaw Chieftain

So does that mean the others are not so handicapped? Only in Russia monarchy doesn't stop war weariness? Or does war weariness exist in all civs, regardless of government type - and if so, that makes the game very difficult to play. What about luxuries. Even if you handicap Russia by allowing war weariness, I should still be able to use luxuries to help deal with the problem but I can't. Luxuries don't seem to be applied to the cities AS luxuries, showing up only in my resource box. What are the rules in this scenario for these issues? Thanks.

Kelly Whiting

9. Glaciers37

Glaciers37 Chieftain

I was having an issue with war weariness as well, it seemed to go away after building churches in the towns.

10. The Guardian

The Guardian Praetorian

:cry: :cry: :cry: I hate whinning. Open the editor, click on rules, then edit rules, then government (I believe russia is a european monarchy) In the center of the screen there will be a box that says war weariness and under that there will be three selection NONE LOW and HIGH. Select NONE then File - Save. No more war weariness OK.

11. Brucha

Brucha King

I came back to this scenario after some time from being away from it. Can't wait to see the newest version!

I also came back around to the age-old question of AI unit build preferences as well, since in a scenario such as this, with so many differing units, there can be a problem with the AI building nothing but the best units and such.

I can across - or rather was directed to by Takhisis and Virote Considon - two two threads both authored by Ozymandias:

The BIG Q Continued - AI Flag Choices For Building Units

and

The Big Question - How Does The AI Choose Which Units To Build?

By using a combination of adding more hp's to infantry units, flagging units like Line Infantry and Hussars with both OFF/DEF AI Strategies and flagging them with the Worker/Engineer Action Build Fort (but not selecting the AI Strategy Terraform), I discovered that the AI would build a majority of the units that I wanted it to build. Thus lots of Line Infantry and some cavalry mixed in for the AI builds. As the AI gets enough of the above units build as a sort of base for their forces, they begin to branch out into building other non-flagged units, such as the more exotic, expensive or elite units (like Lifeguards or Old Guards) - but this seems to be reliant on having enough of the "basic" flagged units built first.

So, I went through and re-did the entire biq. file for all units using this formula. Essentially, I opted for units like hussars, lancers, and line infantry to be the mainstay in the AI armies. The AI definitely favors these units so flagged for builds far more than any other. I also did the same for the majority of naval ships, so that colonial cities can't build frigates or SOL's, since they were only build back in the prospective ports in Europe (a big problem that arose in the Americas often).

I also tweaked the unit stats a bit to give a better variance between the European civs' regular units. For instance, here are the stats for Austria's units:

Cuirassier: Shields: 60, Off/Def Strat: no, Fort? no, Hp: 1, Att/Def: 7/3, Bombard: 0, Blitz/ZOC: yes, Move 2
    Dragoon: Shields: 60, Off/Def Strat: no, Fort? no, Hp: 0, Att/Def: 6/4, Bombard: 0, Blitz/ZOC: yes, Move 2
    Grenadier: Shields: 70, Off/Def Strat: no, Fort? no, Hp: 3, Att/Def: 6/5, Bombard: yes, Blitz/ZOC: only zoc, Move 1
    Grenzer: Shields: 30, Off/Def Strat: def only, Fort? yes, Hp: 2, Att/Def: 3/4, Bombard: no, Blitz/ZOC: no, Move 1
    Hussar: Shields: 55, Off/Def Strat: off only, Fort? yes, Hp: 0, Att/Def: 5/4, Bombard: no, Blitz/ZOC: yes, Move 3
    Lancer: Shields: 55, Off/Def Strat: off only, Fort? no, Hp: 0, Att/Def: 4/4, Bombard: no, Blitz/ZOC: yes, Move 3
    Line Infantry: Shields: 65, Off/Def Strat: yes, Fort? yes, Hp: 2, Att/Def: 6/5, Bombard: no, Blitz/ZOC: no, Move 1

I was also unsure of how you are going to handle colonial troops. Simply put, you want European cities to build regular units and colonies to build colonial troops. Easily done if you add a Homeland resource to European cities and a Colonial resource for starting colonial cities. However, what if you capture an American city? Without a colonial resource, a European civ can't build either type of unit in the city.

What I did was make sure that all European cities had one source of Homeland each, then made sure that all regular European units had this resource requirement. I then went through the map and placed a Colony resource in all other cities outside of Europe. I also made new colonial troops, an infantry and cavalry unit, for all the European civs to build overseas.

Now, if a European civ captures an overseas city, only colonial troops can be built there. the downside is that the other non-European civs in the game (ie, Pirates, Persia, Ottomans, etc) can't have their regular troops so flagged so they will be able to build their units in any city they control. However, I don't expect that the non-European civs, like the Zulus, Iroquois, Arabians, etc, will have much of a chance to swallow up huge swaths of the map into their control, so I don't see this as a problem. It might be a problem with the Ottomans though.

12. The Guardian

The Guardian Praetorian

I have been doing much the same with version II which is now on a huge global map and have added India, china and japan. I am considering adding the plains indians. I like the stats you have posted and will take a closer look at them latter. There are now 285 unique units, including naval units, and I am waiting on Imperator to complete several more units, both european and Ottoman/Arab units. The stats on all units have been changed, and many require specific resources and/or are autobuilt by specific buildings. Many new buildings/improvements have been added also. ( 61 so far ) There are also now 10 forms of governments and 64 resources making control of what and where units can be built easier.

Colonial troops have been added for the major European powers and I am considering how to/ or even whether to added them for the minor states. As an example, I am using a specific resource to limit the Russians to only building cossacks in their native areas. If the british can control india, then they and only they will be able to auto produce natve indian units, because only they can build the requisit building needed to auto produce the units. Similarly on the Spanish can build certain units in mexico, but the french can a different unit in mexico ( lancers) if they can gain control of mexico.

Also, all European cities have the homeland resource and all other cities already have the colony resource. Colonial units require the colony resource and regular and elite units require the home land resource. Ships of the line require the harbor resource. New naval units include: admirals flag ship ( Very expensive 120 gun ship of the line ), constitution class heavy frigate
    ( only available to America ) an 88 gun 1st rate ship of the line comparable to the America the completion of which was supervise by John Paul Jones and was Given to France upon completion in 1783. Her main battery consisted of 30 18pounders when French ships of the line typically consisted of 24 and 36 pounders. This was the largest ship of line built by the US up to that time. Additionally the US was left cash poor at the time due to the purchase of Louisiana from the french. Small army and insignificant navy makes the US a minor player in the beginning of the game. Westward expansion and rapid development however could make them a contender.

As I mentioned above, the colony and homeland resources had been introduced in ver 1.03 and has been expanded in the new global version.

I really appreciate your views and advices as well as the obvious enthusiasm you have for the mod. I look forward to any further ideas or suggestions you might have. I would like to send you the new version when it is finish for play testing before it is released.

If you would like to follow the progress of the development Napoleonic Wars II - Global go to Napoleonic Warriors

13. Moff Jerjerrod

Moff Jerjerrod Deity

This is great news The Guardian! I'm currently working on finishing up my latest work but I would be happy to participate and developing your scenario after I finish mine.

14. Brucha

Brucha King

One other item of note is a quick rundown of my last game, playing as the Austrians. To make the game more interesting, I made two alliances, Pro-French (France, Denmark, Naples and Poland) and Anti-French (Britain, Russian, Sweden and Portugal). I deliberately left Austria out so that I could play the game as I saw fit.

Amazingly enough, my biggest competition turned out to be the Pirates, Ottomans and, of course Russia. I first ended up having to build up my naval strength to fight off the Pirates, who actually tried several landings along the Adriatic. I eventually had to conduct an invasion of Northern Africa to deal with them after getting tired of all their raids. Funny thing for Austria to be turning into a colonial power early on in the 19th Century!

After pacifying the Pirates, I ended up at war with the Zulus after they made a demand for gold. At the time, the Zulus were allied with the British !?!?!?!?!? against the Netherlands. Since I had forces in North Africa, as well as a small fleet there, I ended up conducting an invasion of Zulu lands in the south. This didn't go so well, but I did manage to mangle the Zulus and cause considerable damage to the British colonies in Africa.

I spent much of the game parring off the Ottomans and Russians. First one would invade and I would ally with the other. Then peace would come and my former "ally" would then invade and I would be forced to ally with my former "enemy". This went on for much of the game, with neither Turkey or Russia gaining much over the other. Most of the declarations of war against me would happen as one of them would try to cross Austrian lands to get to France during a war.

I also ended up with France being a fairly stalwart ally for much of the game, mainly due to the ongoing flip=flop Ottoman/Russian wars. The only time I went to war with France and her allies was after Naples declared war once and invaded. The Ai tried an Austerlitz campaign near Innsbruck but the invasion was easily routed and I even managed to capture all of northern Italy for my own.

In the end, it turned out to be the Americans who were the powerhouse in the game. They first took out the Iroquois, then kicked the Spanish out of Florida. Finally, they went to war with Britain in Canada, capturing those cities as well. What followed was a leap-frog war in the Caribbean, starting with Nassau until America had control of all the Caribbean islands and proceeded to invade the Spanish Main. Certainly, this was one of the few times that I have never seen the AI conduct intelligent and successful naval operations - and not just once but over and over again!

All in all a thoroughly enjoyable game, and certainly not what I expected! It would have made a great story for the forum!

15. The Guardian

The Guardian Praetorian

It IS a great story. There are many ways that the player can create his own game using the scenarios properties. It appears that the various civs are operating as I had hoped they would and tried to create. There are many possible variations that can be created. Make one change in the alliances, and its a whole new game. Take your example, change Sweden to an ally of France and you have a whole new game.

As you discovered, ;) The Zulu and pirates were added as wildcards for balance. They will eventually HAVE to be dealt with, and can be a serious problem. The Zulu can be a particularly difficult problem. They are not strong enough or aggressive enough to be a serious world threat, but are also not easily defeated, and control territory that has vast wealth in resources.

Both of these civs, Pirates and Zulu, play a prominent role in Napoleonic Wars II - Global also. The pirates have been divided into three major groups, Barbary, Caribbean, and Asian. Additional pirate units have been added. The Zulu will also be given additional unit types.

The addition of China, Japan and India will make things more interesting for the British and Russians also.

After your previous post, I looked more closely at the colonial units in the game and have made some changes. I am adding additional colonial units for France, Spain, Portugal and the Dutch. I have also done some additional research on the Ottomans and will be beefing their Navy. The Ottomans, at one time, I think during the crimean war possessed the largest ship of line every built. So, I will be adding some frigates and SOTL's to their navy.

Great post by the way. Enjoyed reading it and look forward to more. Maybe next time you could provide a few screen shots :please:

BTW: The Grenadiers are elite units. I would not add the fort building flag to that unit. It has good defense and attack, high Moral and bombard capability. Also the French Empress Dragoons are comparable to the British Life Guards. Empress Dragoons will be added to Ver II.

16. The Guardian

The Guardian Praetorian

Great, looking forward to it. I could use the help.

17. Sasebo

Sasebo Prince

I am trying to play the scenario, but I am getting the same error that was shown in post 126, page 7. I looked in the art files and I see the two PCX files for the naval Academy; I am also using the right path in the scenario properties. I DLed all the files on the first page(I think),I am at a loss as to how to proceed to fix this. Any ideas?

18. The Guardian

The Guardian Praetorian

Open the biq file in the editor.
    Click on the Scenario Tab
    Then click Scenario Properties
    You will see three boxes on the left from top to bottom that say
    Title:
    Description:
    Scenario Search Folders:

What does it say in Scenario Search Folders?

19. Sasebo

Sasebo Prince

It was searching the right folder. I found the problem, I had to rename the main folder "Napoleonic Wars V1.03". I was missing the V1.03 part, I saw that in one of the posts in this thread. You might want to include that in the first post? I DLed it from Atomic Gamer, is that an old version?

I started a game as Prussia, but I am going to restart as someone else. I didn't realise there were those two big locked alliances, that changes things. Everyone kept demanding my Cavalry Tactics tech, so I got into wars when I refused to cough it up. :p I'd already lost Stuttgart to the French and both Russia and the Ottomans had declared war too.

I don't really like some of the city names, why is that city west of Bremen called '30'? A lot of others seem to be a bit misplaced, or to be names taken from the race you were using for them, like the Japanese city names in Poland. I'm going to change a lot of them in my own BIQ file. :)

Also, Nelson has a 0 rate of fire? Doesn't that make his lethal bombard useless? I thought you said in the OP he was the only ship with lethal land bombard.

20. The Guardian

The Guardian Praetorian

That is Napoleonic Wars 1804. West of Bremen ,that should be Amsterdam. You are correct regarding the city names. You can change them. Admiral Nalson 's BB is 3/1/0 LORD Nelson's BB is 3/1/1. You can also change the alliance setup if you wish.

There were several issues with ver 1.03. Read the entire thread to follow the complete progress of the development of the scenario.

Napoleonic Wars II - Global is now under development.