1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Napoleonic Wars

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by The Guardian, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Sasebo

Sasebo Prince

Small map note: New Orleans is cut off from the sea. I changed one tile to coast in order to open that up....or was it intentional? Being a single nation is hard vs. those large alliances. I am going to try and break them up a bit. What would you suggest as a smaller group on each side? Spain flipped sides and Poland fought on both sides I think, so that might be a decent starting point. I don't know much about Saxony, Denmark or Bavaria though, so I really don't know what to do with them. Does Britain/Portugal/Austria vs. France/Netherlands/Denmark seem reasonable?

2. The Guardian

The Guardian Praetorian

Historically Saxony, Bavaria were puppets of Napoleon. Most of Italy was in Napoleons hands also but I would leave them separate for balance. Denmark was a French ally. Spain started as a French ally then switched to Britain. Russia and Austria were also allied with with Britain. The Ottomans were at war with Russia on and off, mainly border disputes. Netherlands were allied with France. Portugal was Allied with Britain. The Americans were neutral. They had a small army, as Jefferson did not believe in a standing army and the US was cash poor have recently purchased Louisiana from France. The 1804 BIQ is relatively accurate historically as far as alliances and troop placements are concerned. However, you free to make any changes you wish.

Beware of Zulu. They do not have powerful units, but can produce units rapidly and can move quickly to counter any attack.The Ottomans are powerful.

Spain and portugal have great colonial assets and can accumulate vast wealth, but that is also there weakness.

As the americans, you should concentrate on westward expansion. Once that has been done, they can become a real power to be reckoned with.

3. Sasebo

Sasebo Prince

I ran into the same problem you fixed in post #299, hopefully that fix works for me, I will try it out shortly.

Something I noticed is the naval units are very out of order. The Man o War for others is 220 shields for everyone, while the British Man o War is only 70 or so as one example. Also, Britain is able to use both regular Man o Wars/Ships of the Line, and their own unique ones. I figured you intended British ones to be slightly better, so I removed them from the regular types, and made their own slightly better and slightly cheaper. Hopefully that is reasonably realistic. The British Man o War has 0 HP while the regular one had +2, so I fixed that too. There are a lot of transport units as well, and sometimes their unit costs are unrealistic, i.e. and inferior sips costing more? I am not sure what to change on the transports though, so I've left those alone.

Also, what is with the military ships and that 'transport only tactical missiles' attribute? Are the treasure units supposed to be tactical missiles?

4. The Guardian

The Guardian Praetorian

There are several special British Naval vessels. All warships transport Marines ONLY. Marines have the tactical missile flag.Most transports are flagged to transport foot units only, which means they won.t transport artillery.The Man O' War is an older vessel, pre Ship O' The Line.

5. Sasebo

Sasebo Prince

I understand the stats, but why is the French Man o War more then 3 times as expensive? To put this in perspecitve, when they get the tech for Ship of the lines, the French ships of the line are cheaper then the British indivdual unit, with better stats, and the British have access to both types?? :confused: I don't get it. That French ship of the line is 1/3 the cost of their Man o War at that point, which makes no sense to me.

Thanks for clearing up the bit about Marines though, that is a good idea.

6. The Guardian

The Guardian Praetorian

This may have been an oversight error. I will take a look at it in detail as soon as time allows. In the meantime, feel free to change the stats to whatever you think is appropriate. The current development of Napoleonic Wars II - Global is keeping quite busy. I know that many of the issues you have presented have already been addressed in ver 2. However, please advise of any other issues you discover. Though many of the issues with version 1.03 have been addressed, that does not mean that they all have been rectified. You may discover something we missed, so please don't hesitate to keep us advised. We are trying to make the game better, more enjoyable, as well as more challenging. Thanks for helping us. We do appreciate it.

7. Nexxo

Nexxo Prince

I found few problems regarding the cities that should be corrected.

1.Kiel should be where is Hamburg now.
    2.Hamburg should be put on place of Bremen.
    3.Bremen put on place of Amsterdam.
    4.Amsterdam put on place between Amsterdam and Rotterdam.
    5.Rotterdam put one tile down.

Great Scenario BTW.

8. The Guardian

The Guardian Praetorian

Thx Nexxo I will pass that on to Brucha. He is working on the map and will appreciate your recommendations. If you find any other discrepancies don't hesitate to let us know. Thx again.

The Guardian

9. FrenchUser-CP24

FrenchUser-CP24 Chieftain

Does this work on Civilization III: Gold Edition?

10. General 666

General 666 Culturebringer

If you put the files in the right place ;Yes.

11. FrenchUser-CP24

How do i do it? I really wanna play this scenario after it took about 30 minutes to download but i don't know how.

12. FrenchUser-CP24

Can someone plz tell me how to do it if it's possible? This scenario looks awesome! Do i have to convert the .biq file to .bic or .bix? If so how??

13. General 666

Just use "Windows Explorer" to copy & paste all files to the GameFolder/Conquest/Scenarios folder.
    So ,in the end you should see the biq and the modfolder there.
    Than launch the game.

14. FrenchUser-CP24

But i have Gold Edition. It only plays .bix and .bic doesn't it?

15. General 666

Now where you asking ...

Hmmm ,I have to say that I know not much about the Gold version. Years ago I`ve read about the Gold. But now ...

Okay ! Please contact one of the Moderators and ask them. They should know better.
    ... and excuse me ,the Gold edition is quite exotic.

16. The Guardian

The Guardian Praetorian

If the Gold edition does not include Civ III Conquests, then you can not play the scenario. You must have CIV III Conquests in order to play this scenario.

17. Zygmunt

Zygmunt Chieftain

I know I'm going to love this (once it finishes downloading :D ) but why don't you tidy up the first post and lump all the hot fixes and everything into one, and have the single biq attached to the bottom of the post? If you want.

And isn't there a certain level of modability to Civ AI, that you don't have to overwrite the exe so there will be no city razing?

18. The Guardian

The Guardian Praetorian

There are somethings that can be done, and there are many things that can not be done. In time, you will learn that there are many things that we would like to be able to do, but can not because certain things are hardcoded into the program, meaning that there are things in the source code that we can not change. There has been a great deal of discussion regarding this issue of the years including trying to get the owner of the source code to release the code, and we have learned the owner of the code has not and will not release the source code - Ever. Fortunately we have from time to time had members who were able to create "fixes" for some of the bugs that exist in the program. The No Raze and NCL are a couple of those fixes. An expanded editor by Steph is another.

So, if you are a programmer, and have the ability to decipher the source code and thus provide additional patches to correct some of the bugs that have been discovered, I can assure you that you will become very popular here and will make many friends.

19. Moff Jerjerrod

Moff Jerjerrod Deity

Hello The Guardian,

Just a quick update on this excellent scenario: I'm planning on doing some more playtesting this weekend. Been a real busy week in RL.

Regards,
    MoffJ

20. Ranger54

Ranger54 Chieftain

Guardian, how is Ver 2.0 coming along? Looking forward to seeing it.