Napoleonic Wars

You can be assured I did not intend for my comments to be negative in terms of the work done. I have played a lot of the mods of late and I know the pedia is the last and maybe even the hardest, especialy if you are not getting players to play the game and report back.

My only purpose was to let you know that players are going to pull up the game and not find it easy to get started, without some guidance. Either from a pedia or some text that gives them a clue as to what things do.

Like i said, I have played a lot of those with the "treasure", but the first time I ran into it, I had no idea how use them. How to capture and return to a VP site. As an aside I dislike that device as it gets to be a real pain in some like AOI.

I just recently finished CCM and CoMM and we still have an SG for CCM going. That you are still involved makes it possible to give it a shot. I skip all those that the creator is long gone as I do not want to run into crashes and not even know if a fix was made.

I am going to look at the other biq's and see, if one is a size that not too painful. I have played a few 362's, but even 250's are a lot of work. I have done many of them.

So for sure, I am glad to see you put in all the effort to make a mod and that you are still at it. Any poorly stated comments from me are just that, not shots at any part of the work done.

Let me know if that works out for you. Don't forget to rename the main scenario folder to: Napoleonic Wars v1.03

It worked. It did take some time to load, but I am using a 1.6 GHz Macintosh.

Must say, the graphics look nice with one exception. The buttons between the map and the box are a little hard to read on my display. That aside, I like the feel of the scenario and I look forward to playing.

It worked. It did take some time to load, but I am using a 1.6 GHz Macintosh.

Must say, the graphics look nice with one exception. The buttons between the map and the box are a little hard to read on my display. That aside, I like the feel of the scenario and I look forward to playing.

The beginning is slow, not many units to start the main campaign with. But a lot of flexibility.
Scenario 1804 has historically placed units, as does the peninsular campaign.

I have some confusion on the resource type icons. I see something that says Tehran, but properties says it is cotton. I see what looks like cotton, but is says it is gold. The gold bar says it is Spices. Spice look a like says it is furs and you get the picture.

You gave me a link to a biq and a pediacon.txt file. They seems to be for possibly a prior to 1.03 update. I am using the 1.03 and the july pedia update posted recently. I am playing as Iroq BTW.

You may want to consider adding a smiley pop head from someone. I have always found it a bugger to figure out content and unhappy faces. I will copy one in for my use.

A few leaders are using one face on F4 and another when you open contact via double click (Rusia, Arabia and Ragnar).

Okay, having played the Americans some (my fave civ BTW), I have these recommendations.

1. The opening music was recorded at too high a level, any chance of getting it replaced? (It makes my speakers buzz, even at low volume.)

2. It's "Erie", not "Eire"

3. It's "Oswego", not "Owego"

4. Baltimore is a port city, and should be on the coast.

5. Eliminate the minuteman, militia will do just fine

6. Make the militia a 2/3 unit.

7. Eliminate the American rifleman

8. Make the American infantry a 3/5 unit (Other adjustments to strength whereto other nationality's units may be necessary.

9. Make them expensive (110 shields maybe), but allow settlers. A ton of settlements were established during this time. It would also let you remove Iroquois settlements with names like, St. Louis.

10. Some American cities should start with a population greater than one. Make it four for New York, three for Philadelphia and Boston; and two for Washington and Baltimore. Maybe two for two or three other cities.

11. All cities start with a temple.

12. Add one worker for every four cities.

13. Finally, give the Iroquois at least one unit per settlement. A 1/1 or maybe 1/2 warrior just so it aint a cakewalk for the American

There you have my nitpicks, other than that I'm having a blast.

One last observation, it seems Naples gets dumped on by everybody. The British Coalition, the French Coalition, the Third World, everybody has it in for Naples. Was it something they said?

Okay, having played the Americans some (my fave civ BTW), I have these recommendations.

1. The opening music was recorded at too high a level, any chance of getting it replaced? (It makes my speakers buzz, even at low volume.)

2. It's "Erie", not "Eire"

3. It's "Oswego", not "Owego"

4. Baltimore is a port city, and should be on the coast.

5. Eliminate the minuteman, militia will do just fine

6. Make the militia a 2/3 unit.

7. Eliminate the American rifleman

8. Make the American infantry a 3/5 unit (Other adjustments to strength whereto other nationality's units may be necessary.

9. Make them expensive (110 shields maybe), but allow settlers. A ton of settlements were established during this time. It would also let you remove Iroquois settlements with names like, St. Louis.

10. Some American cities should start with a population greater than one. Make it four for New York, three for Philadelphia and Boston; and two for Washington and Baltimore. Maybe two for two or three other cities.

11. All cities start with a temple.

12. Add one worker for every four cities.

13. Finally, give the Iroquois at least one unit per settlement. A 1/1 or maybe 1/2 warrior just so it aint a cakewalk for the American

There you have my nitpicks, other than that I'm having a blast.

One last observation, it seems Naples gets dumped on by everybody. The British Coalition, the French Coalition, the Third World, everybody has it in for Naples. Was it something they said?

Thx mythusmage this is the kind of stuff I'm looking for. I am adding these recommendations to my to do list. The unit recommendation are good, however I will probably do them last as I think there is a lot of adjustment needed in that area for all civs. The AI has a tendency to go wild building cavalry units.

I am currently working on Version 2 of Napoleonic Wars. If you would like to join the discussion group (or any one else interested) You can find the discussion group on my website forum located here
http://guardian-drago.com/Board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2

I have some confusion on the resource type icons. I see something that says Tehran, but properties says it is cotton. I see what looks like cotton, but is says it is gold. The gold bar says it is Spices. Spice look a like says it is furs and you get the picture.

You gave me a link to a biq and a pediacon.txt file. They seems to be for possibly a prior to 1.03 update. I am using the 1.03 and the july pedia update posted recently. I am playing as Iroq BTW.

Thx vmxa wish I had had this kind of feedback before I released this. This is why we need good playtesters. The pediaicon problem should be easy to fix. Either the icon numbers are incorrect the the resources image file is incorrect file. Adding this to the ToDO list

View attachment resources.pcx

WOW playing as Iroq ? ! ? ! That has got to be the hardest civ to play as. I only put them in to slow down the americans a bit. Keep me posted I want to know how you make out. ;)

You may want to consider adding a smiley pop head from someone. I have always found it a bugger to figure out content and unhappy faces. I will copy one in for my use.

I believe someone did do a smily faces popheads a long time ago. I think it is still available.

I am currently working on Version 2 of Napoleonic Wars. If you would like to join the discussion group (or any one else interested) You can find the discussion group on my website forum located here
http://guardian-drago.com/Board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2

Okay, I tried to register at your forums under the user name of "Alan Kellogg" and something went wrong. Could you take a look?

Update: Okay, I tried registering under "mythusmage" and this is what happened; I filled in the captcha and hit submit. I got the registration page again, so figuring I needed to re-submit the captcha I typed out the letters and numbers a second and hit 'submit' again. Only to be informed the user name and email were already in use. Just on the off chance my username and password would work this time I tried logging in, and it worked. So registering works, but there's a glitch somewhere along the line.

Update 2: And now I need the password for the forum itself. To quote many a paramour of Pepe le Pew, "Le sigh."

I believe someone did do a smily faces popheads a long time ago. I think it is still available.

I added them, but what I meant was to have you include a set for other players. Just pick one and copy it in and add the creator to the credits. Just a FWISW. It a little bonus for players.

Iroq have a terrible lot for sure. I just wanted to havea non homeland civ, but did not want to take America. I played them on so many of these types of earth maps.

I take it that settlers are not available. I also wonder about the trade. It seems that I am not able to trade for resources over seas. I guess that was pulled for speed. It would have been nice to know that, prior to making a harbor.

No starting units, no starting workers, no starting structures, no starting roads. Yeah, I would say they are going to be a lost cause. I probably can take over the contintent.

With no settlers to expand and no trade overseas, there is a serious govenor on what can be accomplished. I expand I will mess around a bit and wait for the next update to take a real run with another nation. Unless I decide to buy Starcraft II or Disciples III. :D

I added them, but what I meant was to have you include a set for other players. Just pick one and copy it in and add the creator to the credits. Just a FWISW. It a little bonus for players.

Iroq have a terrible lot for sure. I just wanted to havea non homeland civ, but did not want to take America. I played them on so many of these types of earth maps.

I take it that settlers are not available. I also wonder about the trade. It seems that I am not able to trade for resources over seas. I guess that was pulled for speed. It would have been nice to know that, prior to making a harbor.

No starting units, no starting workers, no starting structures, no starting roads. Yeah, I would say they are going to be a lost cause. I probably can take over the contintent.

With no settlers to expand and no trade overseas, there is a serious govenor on what can be accomplished. I expand I will mess around a bit and wait for the next update to take a real run with another nation. Unless I decide to buy Starcraft II or Disciples III. :D

That is one of the things that needs to be addressed in the next version. Overseas trade is impossible because of the treasure concept incorperated into the game. This concept has been utilized in many scenarios and mods and has been widely discussed. The Iroq were only added as I said to slow down the americans and give them something to do in the early stages of the game. I never contemplated that anyone would want to play them. I will give the Iroq civ greater thought in the next version. Thx for bring this to my attention vmxa

FYI

Pedia says Brewery requires Barley, but it can be built with no resources. I did not even have a road.

I have no axe to grind on trade or not, just that it would be good for players to know that from the start. I have played mods like CCM, so I was expecting it.

No need to beef up Iroq, unless you want to make them playable. I am just fooling around anyway.

BTW CCM is adding in a means to bring resources overseas via airports that requires a resource in the town radius. This is going to be a late game function.

Here is a list that I have found of town structures with no pedia entry. These are new to conquest, so no way for players to know what they are used for, unless they go to the editor.

Academy of Science
Church
Inn
Merchant Guild
localcourt
Sewer
Stables
Synagogue

There may be others that are unknown to Iroq or I have not yet learned. That is not a lot really, unless they have special names and fucntions for them for other nations.

Here is a list that I have found of town structures with no pedia entry. These are new to conquest, so no way for players to know what they are used for, unless they go to the editor.

Academy of Science
Church
Inn
Merchant Guild
localcourt
Sewer
Stables
Synagogue

There may be others that are unknown to Iroq or I have not yet learned. That is not a lot really, unless they have special names and fucntions for them for other nations.

I am aware that there are many problems with the civilopedia, but many of these I have not gotten to yet because I wasn't even aware of them. You are giving me some excellent feedback. Keep it up.

Don't worry about telling me something that I might already know. My grandmother once told me, "The only stupid question is the one don't ask." The same applies here. The only mistake you can make, is not telling me something I don't know. ;)

Here is an example of where even looking at the editor does not help me.

Sewer and localcourt both say they eliminate pollution from population. Well if it removes the penalty then I do not need both. If it reduces it, then having both would help.

Another item is Stables. I see nothing checked in the editor, so it appears to do nothing to me. I know there are some things that are not obvious, so it could be useful. I just have no idea, if it is or not.

Inn says it increases lux trade, but I have two issues with that. 1) what does it mean and 2) I have no overseas trade ability. I do not know if that matters or not.

These things could be stuck in a text file easier than added to the pedia.

Don't worry about telling me something that I might already know. My grandmother once told me, "The only stupid question is the one don't ask." The same applies here. The only mistake you can make, is not telling me something I don't know. ;)

I just toss out what I see and it is all FWIIW. Of course some of it I will have wrong. :D

BTW I hope your Grandma is not younger than me. lol

I just toss out what I see and it is all FWIIW. Of course soem of it I willhave wrong. :D

BTW I hope your Grandma is not younger than me. lol

LOL I doubt that I am younger than you. Petite Mere, god rest her soul, passed on many years ago. She is gone, but not forgotten. :)

Top Bottom