Napoleonica: Powder Smoke over Europe

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Unit Graphics' started by Sandris, May 10, 2009.

1. againsttheflow

againsttheflow unpolitically uncorrect

?? Surely you're not referring to the sash?

2. Steph

Steph Multi Many Tasks man Retired Moderator

No... He has a 1807 helmet, not a 1812.

and the trouser color should be grey, not white.

3. againsttheflow

Oh, I thought you meant something completely unhistorical. :lol: That makes the whole unit 1807 then?

4. Steph

Well, the coat is dark enough for 1812, for 1807 it should be a little lighter.

But this is a terrible mistake that completly ruin the pack :eek:!

5. General 666

General 666 Culturebringer

WOW !!! :eek:
    I must hallucinate .....:crazyeye:
    SsOOOOOOOoooooooo Many Units !!!:goodjob:
    That can only happen with Sandris:king: ...

I`m just overwhelmed !:D

6. DJ Bonebraker

DJ Bonebraker a.k.a Laura

I wonder who that "someone" could be... That's good news, though! As for the Barbary Corsairs, I could just use some of Sandris' late-medieval Egyptian and North African units.... Basically in my scenario, the US and Barbary Pirates will start out in a locked war, but many of the Barbary Pirates' units will be "Hidden Nationality" to give them the ability to harass all the other nations without actually going to war with them.

7. againsttheflow

Given the AI's proclivity to hunt down HN units would this not be like putting the pirates in a locked war against everyone? Not that there's a whole lot you can do about that.

8. DJ Bonebraker

Basically, yes, however all DEFENSIVE units (i.e. ones guarding their cities) will be NON-HN, which means that the various nations can hash it out with the various Corsairs, Raiders and Algerene pirate ships, but they won't be able to take any of the Barbary Corsairs' cities (Tripoli,Tunis, etc) without actually declaring war. Basically the Barbary Pirates are designed to be a royal pain in everyone's ass, but the US is the only ones out to wipe them off the map (as what happened in RL)...

9. Mithadan

Mithadan Wandering Woodsman

It would be easy (in terms of # of units) to do the Dacians, simply because they'd only occupy one of the Sandrisian sub-eras: the "Later" Classical Iron Age, being a figure in known history only between 100BC to 100AD (roughly). They were the last major territorial conquest of the Roman Empire, and so would figure prominently in scenarios of that time as well as epic mods (like mine). Their falxmen were so devastating against legionairies that the Romans had to reinforce their defensive armament whilst on campaign in order to prevail (thence utahjazz7's old Heavy Legionary). Utah's falxman is a good unit, except that it's animation shows the falx being used as if the cutting edge was on the outside of the curve instead of the inside.

I'd be supremely happy if you or somebody else just did a single Falxman with the properly wielded falx, but if the creator wanted to go further and make a spearman, swordsman, javelineer & horseman, I wouldn't complain nor would anybody else, I imagine! (I have the Osprey book on the Dacians if anybody wants reference pics or whatnot.)

10. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Archivist, redux Supporter

*gasp* :eek: Can't ... find ... words ... :suicide:

:goodjob: ,

Oz

11. Ogedei_the_Mad

Ogedei_the_Mad Caffeinated Khagan

Such an incredible degree of detail! :eek:

Agreed. :D :D :D

12. Deth McBones

Deth McBones The Inconsistent Modder

Great land battles of the 19th century, Batman!

Some crazily good looking units, Sandris! And I can't wait to see more!

Although I couldn't help but think of these when I saw these...:mischief:

That's an alien with a phaser musket, for those of you who missed that TNG episode...

13. Cimbri

Cimbri Deity

You know what I mean, monsieur. You can pretty much use these bad boys right up until just before the Crimean War. :)

14. Steph

Can we?

French infantry 1829, compare to Sandris Napoelonic

Briths infantry, 1834

Crimean war = 1853 - 1856

15. DJ Bonebraker

Sure, if you're not super-duper anal about everything being 100% historically accuarte and having each individual year represented by a different unit (which, IMO would be a royal pain in the ass in game play terms)....

As the great Bruce Shelley, one of the lead designers of the Age of Empires series once said, "Gameplay > Historical Accuracy" and I agree with him 100%.... It is much better to have a fun, smooth game rather than one that gets bogged down in historical detail to the point of tedium.

16. Ozymandias

Also IMO (or, at least, as I mod) the principal distinctions are not between detail of uniform, but units which can readily reflect their era along with major changes in weaponry and tactics. Again, just my 2 centimes.

Best,

Oz

17. Steph

Find, then you don't need to download any of these units. You can just use Firaxis musketman and rifleman.

18. Ozymandias

:lol: Ah, the Gallic wit :) Alas, I am NOT arguing AGAINST quality or variety or having the plentitude of units we're now showered with; quite the oppposite.

;) ,

Oz

19. DJ Bonebraker

Ditto here... I mean I WISH the original epic game had more variety, as well as something to go in between the 15th-17th century musketman and the mid 19th-early 20th century rifleman, but having 1 unit representing each individual year is a bit overboard (unless you're doing a scenario that only covers about 10 years's time, of course, but even then it might be a bit much ;) )

20. Ares de Borg

Ares de Borg Norman Knight

Sandris, would it be possible to release a generic set consisting of a dragoon, hussar, ulan and cuirassier (maybe the french in generic colors)? I'm using some of your older units as generic line infantry and militia, and would love to have some generic early 19th century cavalry. :)