1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice

Napoleonica: Powder Smoke over Europe

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Unit Graphics' started by Sandris, May 10, 2009.

1. Takeo

Takeo Shogun

Levantine,
    What is the actual error message?

2. Levantine

Levantine Chieftain

It doesn't even load the scenario. It hangs for a second and then Windows gives a message that Civ3 has stopped working. I have to close it down through the task manager. This is on Windows 10. I tried redownloading because I suspected the download was corrupted, and even tried installing in a vanilla/fresh scenario. Same result. So far 3 units do this to me. 1812 Prussian Line Infantry, 1812 Russian Line Infantry, and the Marauder unit by CamJH.

I loaded the flc files into flicster, and they load fine. I tried messing with the ini to remove sound files, but this gave no success.

3. Takeo

Takeo Shogun

They work fine for me. Do other downloaded units work for you?

4. Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey Archon Without Portfolio

This may not be a problem with the unit itself. sounds more like a problem with an ini file or one of the other text file like the 'pedia. Have you checked to make sure all file names are exactly the same? Spaces - especially spaces at the beginning or ending of names - have caused problems in many situations. not sure if that is what is happening to you, but well worth a look.

5. Levantine

Levantine Chieftain

I have been creating a scenario where my units folder has upwards of 100+ units that all load and work in-game, tested.

I believe the issue is with a specific flc between those three units. Renaming the ini, flc, and sound files produced no results. Redownloading did not either. I am led to believe it is an flc because other 1812 units work perfectly fine. However, I did have to rename the ini and sound files for the Dutch Line Infantry to work. I also forget which unit it was, but I had to edit the pixel ratio and size of the pcx images for it properly load in the game. A lot of the units files (from various mods, not just the 1812 ones) also seem very untested, full of typos, background of the unit image is darker than the map, sounds don't work in-game, etc... But thankfully anything I miss the game will let me know about or during a test I can see the mis-matches. Also when there is a typo in other files, the game will still load to the intro and give me the error message of which file it cannot find. But with the above named units, the game completely crashes while loading to civilization selection screen with no error message other than a Windows one, not a game one. Even if I don't put that unit in the map, or open up the civilopedia, just having it active in my roster is sufficient enough to cause a crash. I did so much troubleshooting to figure out what was wrong. I tried to put the unit icon in another slot, redownloaded from another computer to make sure there was no corruption, even copied a fresh conquests pediaicons file to make sure mine was corrupted. I just couldn't get them to work until I replaced the flc files with other ones entirely.

I appreciate the confirmation that the unit works outside of my end. Unfortunately, I was quick to find replacement models for those units, so won't be using them.

6. Great Uncle Sloth

Great Uncle Sloth Chieftain

Hi there,

Im very new to mods especially for civ 3 so I would really appreciate if anyone could walk me through a detailed explanation of how to get these mods for the Napoleonic Scenario on civ 3!

Many Thanks

7. Bungus

Bungus Archont of Cootertown

These are units buddy. To download an entire mod head over to the "completed modpacks" section.
    Most have at least a few hundred added unit graphics. And they'll be easier to install that adding individual units yourself