NASA successfully tests futuristic ion engine

Falcon02 said:
Last I heard it's been either scrapped or put on the shelf to collect dust. JIMO was part of that project and I know it's been scrapped completely.

Too many people protest Radioisotope Thermal Generators (RTGs) and Nuclear Reactors going in to space. RTG's seem to get through okay 90% of the time, but I think all Nuclear reactors have been shot down. And I think that is the basis of Project Prometheus, the use of Nuclear Reactors for power in space, specifically for probes.

But why? Surely a nuclear reactor in space is infintely safer than one on Earth! That has got to be sinle dumbest thing I've ever heard protested. Ever.

Cheezy the Wiz said:
But why? Surely a nuclear reactor in space is infintely safer than one on Earth! That has got to be sinle dumbest thing I've ever heard protested. Ever.
Because then certain nations will be putting Nuclear materials into orbit for "Purely civilian, power-generation" purposes, to cover up a much feared weaponizing of Space. (Never mind the satelite mounted missiles would be all to easy to track from ground/orbit and be disposed of)

Cheezy the Wiz said:

Well, the concerns are somewhat legitimate even if I don't agree with 'em.

The concern isn't so much nuclear material in space, but nuclear material we fail to get into space or comes back down, but mostly the first. A spacecraft with a large amount of plutonium for a reactor could have a catastrophic failure of the launch vehicle. The launch vehicle explodes during launch and suddenly you're spreading radioactive material across the coast of the launch site. Making the area unhealthy for human living and hurting the environment.

However, it's my understanding that the nuclear material is very well protected in an attempt to prevent that. The idea that is if there is a launch vehicle failure the nuclear payload would remain intact and would not contaminate the surrounding area.

No matter how unrealistic it is i want hyperdrives! :gripe:

Hurry up NASA. Bring us into the future.:borg:

Top Bottom