[Nation] Finland

Gedemon

Modder
Super Moderator
What we have:

MP3 speech (Risto Ryti) : http://heninen.net/sopimus/ryti1941_e.htm

Introduction text (for Risto Ryti) by Make :
President, Finland has been independent nation for only few decades now. Even thought Finland is quite new nation, it has already proven itself to be democratic and peaceful. It's athletes are best in the world (etc. Paavo Nurmi). We gained our independence during the great war, and later on triumphed against the communism in bloody civil war with imperial Germany's support. Fortunately we already had ancient traditions and laws to guide our path to become lawful democratic nation.

President, aggression is increasing in Europe, our border nation-politic has failed, storm is coming. East has never been more threatening. The peace is more and more fragile. President can you help Finland to survive against the communist regime of terror? Can you help Finland to stay as democratic and peaceful as its people want? President can you help Finland to find shelter in the upcoming storm?

Units skins/models already available:

Curtiss P-36 Hawk
Bf-109
Infantry reskin (maybe a German infantry reskin would be better suited for WWII)
captured T-26 (could be part of Finland trait: after inflicting x amount of materiel cost damage to any soviet troops, gain one T-26 unit)
BT-42
Bristol Blenheim
Stug III
Fokker D.XXI

Diplo Screen (Mannerheim):

What we need :

- More units (actual civ5 model, not the list of finnish units in WWII - well the list will be usefull for reference, but it's models or reskin for Civ5 that we lack most ATM)
- All materiel (speech, text, screens) for one leader.
- Propaganda posters for DoM screen

The G 50, and Panzer 4 G are already in game, the Bristol Blendhiem would work as a bomber, and is already ingame.

Finland shouldn't join the axis and attack England, only Russia!

The G 50, and Panzer 4 G are already in game, the Bristol Blendhiem would work as a bomber, and is already ingame.

yes, but not with Finland skin.

yes, but not with Finland skin.

Until we get them in a Finnish skin, I would rather have them with the Italian, German, and Greek skins than not have them at all.

So what would Finland's trait be?

Maybe some kind of defense bonus.

Ok, Risto Ryti. That's good, because of the speeches and so on, but I actually would prefer Mannerheim, because he was the commander of the army during WWII, and was more influental during the period. Although, If you'd like to go with Risto Ryti as the leader, I could do a suitable artwork for him, if you want.

For the trait, I would use the same name as in my Finland mod, Stalwart North, but change the bonus to Ethiopia-style combination: "10% (or something) strength bonus against larger civs, 10% more if fighting within friendly territory. Bonus gold (or/and production) from lumber mills (to reflect Finland's main industry in the past times for a possible economic bonus)" And the name could also be like "Spirit of the Winter War" or something like that. Hope you'll like the suggestion.

You can feel free and ask me for some help for the content of the Finland WWII.

thank you :D

I would have a preference for the military leader too. The text presentation is something that can be changed easily, but I would like a mp3 speech from Mannerheim then.

I'd also like to have 9-10 propaganda posters for Finland to make the loading screen.

Thank you! That Finnish propaganda poster thing is a bit curious case though... Finland didn't really do propaganda in the WWII. Almost the only propaganda about Finland that can be found is leftist Soviet posters against Finland like "the slaughterer Mannerheim", or Nordic (Swedish and Norwegian) posters about how they should help Finland against USSR. If some posters are needed, I would go with the Swedish posters, at least they are pro-finnish... :rolleyes:

There still may exist some real Finn propaganda, but I haven't managed to find them yet.

I found those (correct me if some are wrong)

Giving soviet soldier the price they'll get if they surrender with their weapons (from pistol to tank):

Not sure about this one:

Is that one Finnish ?

That remind me I may put an event for an alternate history in which France/England join Finland against USSR.

And this one ?

I've also seen some of the Swedish posters you may be referring too here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=206369&page=2

Ok, good finds! :goodjob:

I have no idea about the two first posters, because they are in Russian. According to google translate :), the second one says "Freedom through the film!". Maybe I wouldn't use the Russian ones, because i don't know if they are pro- or against-finnish.

The third one is Finnish. It says in English: "There's a danger looming in the sky! Every citizen work for the civil defense!" I'd use this. The fourth one too.

The fifth one is Finnish too. Voitto means victory and I believe it may be from the Continuation war, when Finland and Germany attacked the USSR and conquered the whole Karelia, whose
coat of arms is depicted in the poster. Very suitable for usage.

A swedish poster
Another one
I'd suggest you to use these too. These are in Swedish and say: "The affairs of Finland are ours too! Join (something) for the great battle!" and "A nation is in danger. You can help!"

The alternative history event you mentioned sounds good. Some info: During the war, although Finland was counted in Axis, they were very Allies-minded. Britain, USA and France were going to support Finland with troops and weapons for the Winter War, but didn't do it much because they didn't want to start a conflict with the USSR. Finland was careful not to start a war between the Allies, too. Sweden and Norway helped us with their armies, though. Finland was just driven into the Axis, because Germany was the enemy of their enemy. After the Continuation War (Operation Barbarossa), when the peace treaty with the Soviet Union was signed, Risto Ryti was imprisoned as a war criminal (USSR considered Finland as the attacker), and Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim was elected as the president. He joined Finland in the Allies, and Finland was forced into a war, again, this time against the Germans.

The reason Finland didn't really want USA and UK fighting in the war against USSR with them was that we were afraid of turning Finland to a battlefield of the Great powers. You can make much interesting alternative events starting from that... :)

Ok, good finds! :goodjob:

I have no idea about the two first posters, because they are in Russian. According to google translate :), the second one says "Freedom through the film!". Maybe I wouldn't use the Russian ones, because i don't know if they are pro- or against-finnish.

The third one is Finnish. It says in English: "There's a danger looming in the sky! Every citizen work for the civil defense!" I'd use this. The fourth one too.

The fifth one is Finnish too. Voitto means victory and I believe it may be from the Continuation war, when Finland and Germany attacked the USSR and conquered the whole Karelia, whose
coat of arms is depicted in the poster. Very suitable for usage.

A swedish poster
Another one
I'd suggest you to use these too. These are in Swedish and say: "The affairs of Finland are ours too! Join (something) for the great battle!" and "A nation is in danger. You can help!"

The alternative history event you mentioned sounds good. Some info: During the war, although Finland was counted in Axis, they were very Allies-minded. Britain, USA and France were going to support Finland with troops and weapons for the Winter War, but didn't do it much because they didn't want to start a conflict with the USSR. Finland was careful not to start a war between the Allies, too. Sweden and Norway helped us with their armies, though. Finland was just driven into the Axis, because Germany was the enemy of their enemy. After the Continuation War (Operation Barbarossa), when the peace treaty with the Soviet Union was signed, Risto Ryti was imprisoned as a war criminal (USSR considered Finland as the attacker), and Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim was elected as the president. He joined Finland in the Allies, and Finland was forced into a war, again, this time against the Germans.

The reason Finland didn't really want USA and UK fighting in the war against USSR with them was that we were afraid of turning Finland to a battlefield of the Great powers. You can make much interesting alternative events starting from that... :)

So we would have Finland on good terms with the allies? What we could also do, is have a peace project for Finland, that would be built if the Finnish player thought the Axis were losing. and would switch Finland to the allied side.

So two things:
1. Is the Finnish BF-109 reskin of the G model? Because that was the version most used by Finland.
2. The T-26 is a bad choice for a light tank, considering the Finns only had captured models. A better choice would be the Vickers Mk E. For that matter, Finland (or Greece or France, for that matter) could use the FT-17, which would have :c5strength: of an early light tank, but would only have 1 or 2 moves.

Sorry to bump, but an important thing about Finland, is that they should be independant from the axis. They were only at war with Russia and weren't in the war all the time.
Also, new unit idea Finnish SS.

Sorry to bump, but an important thing about Finland, is that they should be independant from the axis. They were only at war with Russia and weren't in the war all the time.

And Mannerheim refused Hitler's proposal for a joint war against Russia. Also, if I remember correctly, the Winter War was instigated by Russia. But I guess there was more to it than that.

Should have German SS first, and anyway, weren't all Waffen-SS units under german command anyway?

No, not neccessarily, like the French and Dutch SS who volunteered at the Battle of Berlin.

Those were under German command AFAIK. And they "volunteered" before the battle of Berlin.

Top Bottom