Nation States - Civ Players Nation

OK GamezRule. I done decision based on current votes for Big Brother Issue. Still counting votes for "The Sky Is Falling".

New issue: Road Rage Rampage
Due to the ever-increasing traffic on Civ Players's highways, commuter tempers are flaring, leading to an increase in road rage related accidents. A recent case in which a very impatient driver attacked and seriously injured a slow driver has brought the subject rapidly to the highest levels of the government.

1/ "The problem is that our highway system is sorely in need of an overhaul," claims social commentator Sue-Ann Jones. "Civ Players's highways were constructed with a far smaller number of cars in mind, and we've exceeded that traffic load by a substantial amount, resulting in traffic jams. Traffic jams lead to impatience, impatience leads to anger, anger leads to road rage, and road rage leads to violence. We need to expand the freeway system by adding more lanes to relieve the traffic congestion."

2/ "You add new lanes, even MORE people will drive, putting us right back at square one!" counters Jazz du Pont of Civ Players's public transportation committee. "Instead of throwing tons of money at a short-term solution, why not spend it on improving bus and rail service and encouraging carpooling? Oh, and get more highway patrol officers to crack down on these violent drivers who pose safety threats to the rest of us."

3/ "*BLEEP!* that *BLEEP!*" Catherine Gratwick yells at the top of her lungs from the window of her very large pickup truck with a gun rack mounted in the rear window. "The government should just *BLEEP!*ing stay out of our daily *BLEEP!*ing drive! They ought to let us *BLEEP!*ing rushed businesspeople go about our daily *BLEEP!*ing business, no matter what *BLEEP!*ing measures we have to take to get to *BLEEP!*ing work on time!"

2/ "You add new lanes, even MORE people will drive, putting us right back at square one!" counters Jazz du Pont of Civ Players's public transportation committee. "Instead of throwing tons of money at a short-term solution, why not spend it on improving bus and rail service and encouraging carpooling? Oh, and get more highway patrol officers to crack down on these violent drivers who pose safety threats to the rest of us."

My vote

I would vote 1st option, and I consider to veto your voices, but 3rd option sound fun also ;D Also our Transport Advisor would be away till 2nd January or something. /so maybe I will idle out this issue to his return, because I want to hear his voice in this!

83 minutes ago:
The average income tax rate is 41%, but much higher for the wealthy
Following new legislation in Civ Players, surveillance cameras are banned.

But why you voted so? :( But we will soon can be Libertarian Police State still if we move this way ;D

New Issue:
Buy A Better Baby?
A top fertility clinic has recently announced a new service allowing parents to create so-called 'designer babies'.

1/ "Embryo selection isn't really genetic engineering in the technical sense," explains Dr. Akira Winters, owner of the Babies-2-Go Clinic. "It's more like being able to have a dozen abortions per month until you get the foetus you desire. I can't really see what's wrong with parents who can afford it being able to eliminate foetuses with undesirable genetic traits - like stupidity."

2/ "Thou shalt pay for thy sins!" screams Freddy Shiomi, waving a crucifix. "This is just meddling with the sanctity of life. If these children are to be born with horrible defects then it's God's will and who are we to question it? This technology must be banned at once!"

3/ "This technology shows promise," muses Steffan Mombota, minister of health. "But we can't trust the private sector with the future of our nation's children. We must place it under strict government regulation, so that we only screen out embryos with serious genetic conditions."

4/ "This has got me thinkin'," so says General Jack Falopian, thumbing through a big folder marked 'X'. "If this technology lets us reduce genetic defects, then couldn't it work the other way? We could create ourselves an army of genetically superior soldiers! With our army of Super Soldiers, no nation would dare stand in our way!"

Votes, but with opinions and explains why, otherwise, I may go rogue and veto, dismiss or do whatever I like with this issue :D Remember-> In democracy VOTE COUNTER is most important Person ;) Also what the hell with our Science Advisor? :(

3/ "This technology shows promise," muses Steffan Mombota, minister of health. "But we can't trust the private sector with the future of our nation's children. We must place it under strict government regulation, so that we only screen out embryos with serious genetic conditions."

My vote.

Everything must be under government control! I don't trust my peasants to work things out for themselves. It's the government or death by the government!

Ok, I cleaned little mess with issues, but still Road Rage Rampage is [unaddressed], as I waiting for GamezRule vote. Now we have still two new issues:

Issue 1 - More Jails Needed
Since prisons were banned, Civ Players's crime rate has skyrocketed and calls have been made for the creation of a new prison system.

1/ "I don't think we can bear it any longer," so says Hack Hanover, victim of three robberies and one attempted stabbing. "The criminals have taken over Civ Players. I'd say it's not safe to leave the front door unlocked but there aren't any left! We have GOT to reintroduce prisons and dramatically increase police funding if this nation's going to be restored to the way it once was, you know? A place where you don't need a mantrap on the doormat or seven sets of keys. If that money has to come from silly things like social welfare and education, that's fine with me."

2/ "Jails? What are they good for?" asks May Hamilton, a shifty-looking advisor of yours. Eyes too close together. "All they do is create a drain on the public purse and for what? Keeping society's malcontents alive and in places of luxurious comfort? It's not worth it. Just forget this jail business and while we're at it, cut the police budget. If there's ever a worse criminal organisation out there, it's Civ Players's boys in orangey-pink. Trust me."

2nd Issue: Jolly Roger Sighted Off The Port Bow!
Civ Players's merchant navy has seen increasing attacks from swashbuckling pirates in recent months, devastating Civ Players's foreign trade.

1/ "We should blow them out of the water!" says First Lord Admiral Pete Rifkin. "These waterlogged vagabonds have been plundering our ships for far too long! All our exports from the Gambling industry are going straight into their hands! It's downright dangerous for us to let this continue! All we require is some funding for coastal patrol boats, fleet carriers, and nuclear submarines and a free hand to show these freebooters what's what."

2/ "Hello," says a grog-swilling, peg-legged scurvy dog entering your office. "I'm Zeke Rifkin, a mighty pirate. I'd like to suggest that instead of wasting all that money on attacking pirates you simply buy them off with barrels of bullion, jewels and Maxtopian gold! There'll still be pirates around, sure, but as long as everyone's paid off, they won't hinder your trade. Not much anyway."

3/ "That's the second biggest load of bilge I've ever seen!" says Captain Grapnel, CFO of Hispaniola Shipping Insurance, LLC. "Shiver me timbers, if these scurvy dogs don't be cutting into me profit margin! Me comprehensive coverage has to pay out for victims o' illegality, and of course theft be illegal in this country, bu' that be giving me an idea - what if we were to have privateers? That is to say, if ye were to make piracy legal but with a quotar o' sorts, like huntin'? That way me and mine can stay in business and ye can get a fine cut o' th' booty from licence fees! Savvy?"

4/ "Come now, that's hardly fair," argues 'gentleman pirate' Taupebeard de Gauche with a bow and flourish. "There is an ancient tradition of actively redistributing wealth on the high seas, and we active redistributors serve an important role in the global economy. You would not keep a family-run bookstore from handing down its business from generation to generation, would you? We simply ask, nay, demand the same right! And get rid of the word 'pirate'. It's a slur. We are corsairs - not common sea-faring thugs."

Now Votes People! And remember to say why you voted so to make your vote more valid.

Edit: hooray! 500th Post!

2 for the first, jails suck! and 4 for the second, I love pirates!.

I don't like either option for the first issue, but definitely 1 for the second. The pirates are stealing from the nation, and stealing from the nation's citizens.

In other news, mechaerikistan has the regions smartest citizens and is also a Scandinavian Liberal Paradise, but with Excellent political freedoms.

1/ "I don't think we can bear it any longer," so says Hack Hanover, victim of three robberies and one attempted stabbing. "The criminals have taken over Civ Players. I'd say it's not safe to leave the front door unlocked but there aren't any left! We have GOT to reintroduce prisons and dramatically increase police funding if this nation's going to be restored to the way it once was, you know? A place where you don't need a mantrap on the doormat or seven sets of keys. If that money has to come from silly things like social welfare and education, that's fine with me."

My vote, and Dismiss the 2nd one.

Jail them! Bars and iron are what makes a nation strong and powerful! I say, we throw the lot of criminals into them and sell tickets to the public to see these convicts. We should dress them up with funny clothes as well.

For the Pirate one, I say we should have privateers. These pirates are probably loyal to Civfanatics and instead of antagonising them we should sick them on our enemies, Apolyton.

Not really sure which one of these still count, but:

1/ "We should blow them out of the water!" says First Lord Admiral Pete Rifkin. "These waterlogged vagabonds have been plundering our ships for far too long! All our exports from the Gambling industry are going straight into their hands! It's downright dangerous for us to let this continue! All we require is some funding for coastal patrol boats, fleet carriers, and nuclear submarines and a free hand to show these freebooters what's what."

Welcome back GamezRule. Vote on road rampage still counted.

12 hours ago:
- Following new legislation in Civ Players, government-run screening operations remove embryos with severe genetic disorders.
- Following new legislation in Civ Players, frequent fliers are obliged to submit to invasive security procedures by government security.

New two issues:
Issue 1 - Voting For More Money
It has long been traditional in Civ Players for Members of Parliament to set their own salary. This has, however, led to a recent vote in which members unanimously tripled their pay. Watchdog groups have spoken out against this.

1/ "Oh, wouldn't the world be a happier place if we could all decide our wages," shouts Jazz Frederickson, leader of the World Of Watchdog, an anti-corruption foundation. "Who in their right minds would vote against getting more money with no strings attached? This quite obviously cannot be allowed to continue or where will it end? That money should be being used to fund hospitals, not personal luxuries! Well enough is enough! Politicians' salaries should be set by public vote! Maybe then we'll see something more reasonable!"

2/ "I couldn't agree less," so says Bianca Jones, a Member of Parliament. "Sure, some people might think that having eight cars and three secretaries is excessive, but I'm doing our country a valuable service. Probably one of the most important services there is: representing the people and deciding what course our country should take. It's an incredibly stressful job and there's no way we could do it with lower pay. Members of Parliament ought to be allowed anything they want in return for all they do for Civ Players. If we have what we want we're less likely to take bribes too."

3/ "Perhaps there's a way to compromise," so says Faith Trax, an amateur economist, philosopher and lepidopterist. "The problem here is that politicians could either be paid too little or too much. What if we paid them just right by paying them according to how well they do their job? Keep a close monitor on the needs of their constituencies and give bonuses for resolving problems and coming under budget. It gives them a proper monetary incentive to do their jobs. Some will have a harder time than others and the whole idea may be costly but if it cracks down on corruption I'm all for it."

Issue 2 - Don't Puff On Me, Say Non-Smokers
There is a growing call within Civ Players to abolish smoking in public areas.

1/ "I'm in full support of this motion," so says man on the street Jack McAlpin. "I'm sick of being stuck behind smokers, sucking in their pollution! They can light up in the privacy of their own homes, if they want."

2/ "What's so special about their homes?" so says anti-smoking campaigner Anne-Marie Hanover. "The government has a responsibility to stop people from hurting themselves -- it's the same reason we should make them wear seat belts in cars. Sooner or later, they end up in one of Civ Players's hospitals, sucking on taxpayer-funded healthcare. Not that that's why we should ban smoking. We should ban it because we care."

3/ "Get your hands off my fag!" wheezes long-time smoker Thomas Utopia. "I've been smoking for fifty years and it's never done me any harm. Helps me concentrate, it does! The government should back off on trying to tell me what I can put into my own body. Telling a smoker he can't light up in a restaurant is discrimination, pure and simple. If you want to put a stop to unfairness, stop that."

1/ "Oh, wouldn't the world be a happier place if we could all decide our wages," shouts Jazz Frederickson, leader of the World Of Watchdog, an anti-corruption foundation. "Who in their right minds would vote against getting more money with no strings attached? This quite obviously cannot be allowed to continue or where will it end? That money should be being used to fund hospitals, not personal luxuries! Well enough is enough! Politicians' salaries should be set by public vote! Maybe then we'll see something more reasonable!"

1/ "I'm in full support of this motion," so says man on the street Jack McAlpin. "I'm sick of being stuck behind smokers, sucking in their pollution! They can light up in the privacy of their own homes, if they want."

stupid 5 char

Top Bottom