National achievements?

PhilBowles

Deity
Looking down the list of Civ-specific achievements (other than 'win game as X'), I can't see one for Siam - is this is correct? If not, does anyone know what the Siam national achievement (now I've finally got Three Musketeers... - and, somehow, the Danish achievement in the same game)?

There used to be an achievement called "The Elephant Battle" where you had to kill another civ's UU with the Siam UU. However the achievement was bugged and would never unlock, and so it has been removed among with a few other broken achievements.

Danish, as in Denmark?
That one is easy, play a game with Denmark in it. Just wait for the AI to get the tech for their second UU and enter the right tile. (Bug in that one that you get that achievement for the AI meeting the criteria)

Looking down the list of Civ-specific achievements (other than 'win game as X'), I can't see one for Siam - is this is correct? If not, does anyone know what the Siam national achievement (now I've finally got Three Musketeers... - and, somehow, the Danish achievement in the same game)?

There used to be an achievement called "The Elephant Battle" where you had to kill another civ's UU with the Siam UU. However the achievement was bugged and would never unlock, and so it has been removed among with a few other broken achievements.

That's annoying since I would have unlocked it in this game otherwise, having been stamping on Roman Legions with my elephants this afternoon...

Do they bother fixing these and reinstating them, or are they gone for good?

Danish, as in Denmark?
That one is easy, play a game with Denmark in it. Just wait for the AI to get the tech for their second UU and enter the right tile. (Bug in that one that you get that achievement for the AI meeting the criteria)

That seems to be what happened, but surely I should have been actually playing Denmark and using the Ski Infantry? Rather than playing France...

Looks like France drew the short straw - Three Musketeers is fun, but has to be the toughest of those achievements to pull off except perhaps Bollywood (the English one isn't difficult, just forces lots of playthroughs).

That's annoying since I would have unlocked it in this game otherwise, having been stamping on Roman Legions with my elephants this afternoon...

Do they bother fixing these and reinstating them, or are they gone for good?

We don't know. Hopefully, although there are more pressing issues with improving Civ V such as working A-Bomb interception and the removal of the courthouse bug!? :p

Looks like France drew the short straw - Three Musketeers is fun, but has to be the toughest of those achievements to pull off except perhaps Bollywood (the English one isn't difficult, just forces lots of playthroughs).

No. Alex is much harder, unless you try a Hoplite rush on a Duel Pangaea map...

Bollywood is really easy if you turn on the OCC advanced setting and go for cultural victory. (With that advanced setting you'll automatically raze any AI cities you may capture so you won't disqualify yourself by going past 3 cities.)

Intro game thing? Whats that? :confused:

A tutorial, essentially - it started automatically when I played for the first time, I think.

Still, even Alex is something that might normally happen in a standard game (if you're feeling aggressive), as are most of the others (except Bollywood and perhaps rushing Horseback Riding for Russia), Three Musketeers needs to specifically set up - sure you'll often arrange your units to flank (at least on higher difficulties - so far I haven't tried the game past Emperor, and even there the AI doesn't play well enough for flanking to be essential) and use two if possible, but how often in a normal game will those all be Musketeers, especially since the window for producing them before reaching Riflemen is typically fairly short?

EDIT: As an addendum, does anyone know why 357 is the magic number for the English achievement? I'd assumed it was a reference to the Spanish Armada, but having remembered to look it up, the Spanish only had 200 ships.

As an addendum, does anyone know why 357 is the magic number for the English achievement? I'd assumed it was a reference to the Spanish Armada, but having remembered to look it up, the Spanish only had 200 ships.

According to a discussion on the forum a little over a year ago, this was the total number of ships on both sides during the battle of Gravelines (in which the English defeated the Spanish armada).

... the English one isn't difficult, just forces lots of playthroughs.

As I pointed out in an earlier strategy thread, you can greatly reduce the number of playthroughs needed by turning on raging barbarians and reducing the number of AI civs. You then park your fleets next to any coastal barb camps and sink their ships as soon as they spawn.

Top Bottom