National Portraits

Bifrost

Emperor
Hi everyone!
I haven't been here for ages, but now it looks like I have to return for a while ;)
The thing is I need to gather some information, but I don't know any other place that could help me better than CFC.
I'd love you all to mark here some stereotypes of other nations' habits, tastes, behaviour etc from the point of view of your own nation. Just make brief descriptions - that's all I need. Try to enumerate not less than 5 nations and please don't forget to say where you are from.

AFAIK, there was quite a number of such threads, but I appeared to be unable to find any. Although I remember some brief national portraits given here a couple of years ago like "Americans - successful, kind-hearted, slightly overweight... " but this is certainly not enough, that's why I need your help.
Thankyou in advance. :D

Danes are drunk and hairy.

66% of Americans are fat to really fat. Canadians look like non-fat Americans. People from Quebec... well, there are enough Quebecois posters on here that I'd like to stay out of trouble :)

augurey said:
66% of Americans are fat to really fat. Canadians look like non-fat Americans. People from Quebec... well, there are enough Quebecois posters on here that I'd like to stay out of trouble :)

:sniper: I'de like to know what that one was about ;)

I'm from Quebec and here's my stereotipes:

Americans are fat,
Scandinavian girls can take down polar bears with their own hands (strong/tall/big)
English are violent hooligans
French never wash themselves
Japanese are superior when it comes to discipline and logic.

Dutch are blond, have blue eyes, live in towns filled with windsmills and surrounded by tulips, where they smoke weed all day, and abort the children they have with legal protitutes while making a phonecall to get their parents euthanised.

Americans are indipendent, xenophobic, arogant, rich, chubby drama queens. They either love something or hate it. (France)

But we are not as fat(per person)as the English :lol:

Although fat Americans outnumber all europe's I bet.

Americans are fat and dumb.
English all have the cockney accent and love Beckham too much, and oddly despise their own country.
French are rude and nationalistic.
Japanese are very hard-working and far into technology.
Canadians are Americans with far less weight problems and the tendency to say 'eh'.
Dutch are tall and liberal in most things.
Russians are drunk and large (fat or broad, take yer pick) and decked out in winter clothing, often with a red star on their caps.

----
I REALLY hope everyone knows I'm sincerely *not* believing in these descriptions (especially the negative ones), and I also hope I got the stereotype thing right, since so far physical differences are the ones being primarily described. Eh. :(

Scandinavian women are FINE!

Drunk Master said:
Dutch are blond, have blue eyes, live in towns filled with windsmills and surrounded by tulips, where they smoke weed all day, and abort the children they have with legal protitutes while making a phonecall to get their parents euthanised.

dont forget that the doctors executing the abortion are gay :lol:

Scandinavian women are the best in all of Europe (I've been pretty much everywhere) Blond, tall and fertile :D

Scandinatian men are drunk Vikings who is blessed by our beautiful girls.

Swedes are stiff and boring
Norweigans are Danes with funny accent
Finnish people all have knives and like sauna

Germans only eat wurst and saurkraut
Russians are rude and eat frozen vodka as food
Americans are fat rednecks
English are arrogant butlers

These are the (usually negative) stereotypes I've been brought up with, whether that's because I'm Scottish or because of my exposure to the (rest of) the English-speaking world.

English: They like to play cricket, a stiff and boring game which sums up their culture. They are effeminite and arrogant, and very, very cold and rude. They are classed-obsessed, with the higher ones always wearing rugby shirts (women look like horses) and the lower ones being violent football thugs (women look trolls). They beat around the bush, and are prone to deception. They like to drink (warm) obscure ales.

Scandinavians: Friendly, usually thick, always blonde. Gorgeous women. They have a hidden arrogant self-righteousness about their perfect political and social systems, despite being slightly backward. At the same time, they spend all their time on longboats on the way to plunder, sack and pillage. They like to kills whales and intrude on fishing grounds.

Irish: They are like the Scots, but very backward. They are always drunk and prone to fighting. Yet, they are extremly poetic and passionate. They are small, but tough. Very religious and superstitious. Always catholic.

Germans: Tough, efficient and very intelligent, but prone to cruelty. They goose march in leather shorts, drink beer all day out of huge steins. Like the English, they are very cold and rude, but they are stiffer and more boring.

Americans: Very warm, easy-going, but sometimes a selg-obsessed. Men are usually fat, and the girls usually good-looking but easy. They are always rich, wear cowboy hats and large boots.

The stereotype of the Scots I've usually encountered:

Like to drink, but they are very stingy and parsimonious. They have a very very bleak outlook ("dour Scot"). The men (and women) are usually red-headed and tough. Overly passionate and too outgoing, but family-orientated and hard-working. They usually wear kilts, with the optional 6-foot broadsword.

Scots are drunk fat.......... well, infact, just play GTA:Vice City. Look at Love Fist. you'll understand what our stereotypes are ;) We're also known to be very tight with money

When I was on holiday in Indiana during the summer this boy asked me if we "all ran about with blue face paint and kilts and ate haggis", I asked him if he "ate 20 Big Macs for breakfast and slept with his sister".

He didn't get it

Portuguese people are very warm and welcoming. They have the capability of integration in other comunities and to integrate them in our culture.

Being mainly Catholic, the religion has influence in many of the Portuguese actions and traditions.

Mostly Portuguese are melancolic too, we have Fado to prove it.

Here the drink is wine. Who dont know Porto´s wine?

Do you want to eat good food, that you can take pleasure of eating? Portugal is the place.

We have nice beaches :) a little dirty tough, one of Portuguese problems, people trow things to the ground and spit (not just in beaches, in the city is more noticed)

As Latinos our hot blood sometimes gets in the way of the rational thinking.

Swedes shop at IKEA, drive Volvo, have Ericsson cell phones, and listen to ABBA.

We also tend to be drunk when abroad, especially in the Mediterrenean and at airports.

Fun thread!

Some stereotype views I've come across:

Danish: still hates Sweden for losing Skåne a few hundred years ago.

Norwegians: Easy-going, fun people who never get mad.

English: Actually a bit like swedes - stiff, boring and correct.

Germans: fat perfectionist loudmouths in lack of respect for others.

Italians: Thin, energetic loudmouths who don't seem to think before they act or speak, and whose views on women are at best medieval.

French: Slow, bureucratic, self-loving people who don't really know any more about love and culture than anyone else, but thrive on that legend.

Spanish: Sort of a mix between italian and french.

Russians: half maffia, half ordinary criminal.

Americans: Fat, self-righteous loudmouths who gladly speak of freedom in one sentence and censors anything they don't like in the next.

And, as for Swedes:

Negative:
Quiet (depends)
Uncomfortable (somewhat true)
Low self esteem (very true)
Suicidal (bull**** statistics)
Self-righteous (true)
A bit gullible (very true)

Positive:
Effective (very true)
Friendly (can't say really, I think I'm friendly)
Moralistic (not really, we're not better or worse)
Safety-addicts (very true)

Port eat a lot, always with a lot of rice or potatoes. And drink a lot of it's own wine (olders) or beer (youngers).
Always have a cell phone handy. See a lot of Tv.
Like to criticize football (soccer) clubs and politicians.
Don't care of patents, specially from CDs (I just have 3 games in the original CD, one of them being C3C).
Delay everything and excel at doing all right at the last moment
Think in the state as a father, responsible for helping if we have problems (flood, sun, homeless, recession,...). Being opressed by the state burocracy in the meanwhile.
Live good (specially considerign our official numbers of income), but are always complaining

Surprised?

Top Bottom