1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Native Americans in 1835 Texas

Discussion in 'World History' started by Mr Black, Dec 24, 2003.

1. Mr Black

Mr Black Los Zetas

I’m working on a Mexican-Texian (1835 word) War scenario, but I need help on placement and cities of the Indian tribes. This is for the year 1835. Can anyone comment on the leaders, if they are correct or not.

Comanche (Leader: Buffalo Hump)

Lipan Apache (Leader: Cuelgas de Castro)

Caddo (Leader: Jehiel Brooks)

Coahuiltecan (Leader: these guys were never really unified, so a leader is tough to get)

Most these tribes had moving villages, don’t think I can do this in civ, so their cities will have to be permanent. And I really don’t know if their villages had any names.

I’m also thinking of starting the Comanches at war with the Caddo and Apaches, is this historically accurate. I know this happened sometime after the revolution.

Minor tribes to be included as “Barbarians” will be the Wichita, Atakapan, Bidais, Tonkawa, Karankawa. I’m not sure if these guys were around 1835 in significant numbers though.

Here is the map of the placement of the 4 big tribes.

Attached Files:

2. The Yankee

The Yankee The New Yawker Retired Moderator

Oh, I wish I knew. But I look forward to such a scenario! I'd make sure the Alamo turned out differently.

3. Ribannah

Ribannah Fighter Druid

The Coahuiltecan consisted of a great many loose bands who belonged to the same linguistic group. They were never united in any form. The only name I can come up with is Juan Rodriguez (ca. 1660-1735, not the right time frame), who claimed to represent them v the missionaries.

The Tonkawa, and the in 1835 almost extinct Karankawa, are related to them. If you group them together you could use the famous Tonkawa chief Campo as their leader.

The Cherokee tried to settle in Texas until they were driven out in 1839. They could perhaps be an interesting fifth civilization in a what-if scenario.

4. Mr Black

Mr Black Los Zetas

Thanks a lot Ribannah.

I think I will group the Tonkawa and Karankawa with the Coahuiltecan.

I haven't done any research on the Cherokee in Texas, I'll see what I can find.

5. Archer 007

Archer 007 Rebirth

I thought the Cherokee were in Oklahoma.

6. Ribannah

Ribannah Fighter Druid

They're an Iroquoian tribe, originally from the north-east. The earliest maps show Cherokee claims to Kentucky, Tennessee, and parts of Virginia, Carolina, Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi. Pressure from other tribes, and the white man, made them move further (Arkansas, Missouri, Oklahoma), like so many.

7. Archer 007

Archer 007 Rebirth

Right, I knew they started out near Georgia (they were forced off there land after the discovery of gold at Dalogengia (sp) in 1828).

8. The Yankee

The Yankee The New Yawker Retired Moderator

This wasn't long after the Trail of Tears to Oklahoma. Then again, I can suspect many of them just went south to Texas...it wasn't under American jurisdiction then.

Call it a diaspora, if you will...

9. Archer 007

Archer 007 Rebirth

Right. The Trail of Tears was in Jackson's term, so it was about 1833 IIRC.

10. Tom|420

Tom|420 Chieftain

Man! I thought I was the only guy on this planet interested in the Native Americans! I finally found a few very knowledgeable people on some of the tribes I actually had never heard of (except of the Cherooke which I heard from the time they were norther).

While I am not the most knowledgeable on the topic, I have a big interest in Native Americain and especially into those which were in North-East (Quebec and Great Lakes).

11. DBear

DBear unbeliever

You could use the sub-tribe names for villages. For example, some of the Comanche subtribes were the Penatoka, Nokona, and Quohada. You may be able to google for other subtribes.

Buffalo Hump is a good choice for leader of the Comanche, as he is one of the earliest well-known leaders. Other Great Leaders would be Peta Nocona, Quanah Parker, Para-o-Coom and Wild Horse.

Check out the old John Wayne movie "The Searchers" for Quanah's story--one of the most interesting in the Old West.