1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Natives don't care about what they want

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - Bug Reports' started by thehouse1, Sep 29, 2008.

1. thehouse1

thehouse1 Chieftain

I take my ship to a native settlement that wants cigars. they have plenty of money but offer only a long price of the cigars. In fact I also had some horse to sell and they paid even more for those. This has happened several times.

2. tour86rocker

tour86rocker Warlord

Yeah, also, are they supposed to demand more than one thing? The name plate for the settlement

Sometimes you'll get two or three messages in quick succession about the same settlement demanding a different good. Are they demanding each of those, or only the last one? The reason I ask is that the name plate only ever shows a picture of one good that they demand.

3. Pfeffersack

Pfeffersack Deity

Only the last message counts, because there is always only one desired good.
    Multiple messages happen when a lot of goods are sold to the natives in one turn - they change their desired goods always after X goods have been sold (not neceassarily the ones they had desired), then randomly a new good is choosen.

Apart from that, they tend to pay especially for Guns often more then for their desired good.

4. tour86rocker

tour86rocker Warlord

Ahhh that makes sense. I recently sold 400 trade goods and the Indians subsequently demanded four things in a row.

5. North Bus

North Bus Chieftain

I'm wondering if there might be some other bug in the "desired goods" programming. I've showed up with a boatful of (say) 200 cigars when the native city was demanding it, but they would only pay ~15% of the cigars' sale value in Europe.

Is that because I was trying to sell more than 100 at once? They didn't already have any cigars, and they (supposedly) "wanted" it... :confused:

6. Raion

Raion Chieftain

Consider that you are perhaps getting money when you visit their village with your scouts and free-be resources all the time from different ones. All in all, some Indian villages pay more than others. Have you not found the ones that give you beads with like 2000 gold coins when visited by your scouts?
    Play the game, but do not necessarily ask how to play the game!

7. North Bus

North Bus Chieftain

Well... We're discussing bugs and possible bugs here; it's the Bug Reports forum.

I brought up the issue of the prices because, with some of the other shenanigans we've been seeing with the native wish-lists, it may be evidence towards an underlying bug. I think that some of the early-game gifts are a bit unbalanced, too, but that's another issue. Colonization is (or at least was advertised as) a trade/goods based game, so bugs like this in the trading system are pretty important for us to take a look at.

8. benfp

benfp Chieftain

Well actually, Natives can even theoretically buy your stuff at 0 price. Whenever you sell things to natives:

- Desired good makes +25% bonus on final price
    - Two prices will be generated:
    o the price before they buy your stuff which is based on how much stuff they currently have
    o the price before after they buy your stuff which is based on how much stuff they currently have + how much you're selling
    These two prices are affected by the IndianSellPrice in I-DONT-REMEMBER-WHICH.XML

That means that selling on turn 0 at 2 different native tribes will raise two different prices IFF they don't have the same number of settlements.
    That also means that if you have 200 rums on T0, you'll make more money by selling 100 to one tribe and 100 to another.

Selling to natives desired good ain't the only trick to make money w/ them. You need to know what you've been selling to them, and since when as natives consummate whatever resources they get (again, check IndianConsumption or something in the XML mentionned previously).

That means selling 100 rum on T0 to a tribe and selling them 100 rum on T1 will raise more money than 200 rum on T0 or even 200 rum on T1.

Natives are your friends, cherish them!