1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Natural Park stupidity

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by kaspergm, Feb 13, 2018.

1. kaspergm

kaspergm Warlord

I must say I'm really tired of the Natural Park mechanism. Here's a case from my current game which is really frustrating. I would like to place a Natural Park in the area mark in this image, but I can't. Why? Because the mountain tile was originally claimed by Dumbarton, and there is no way I can ever get it to switch ownership because it is outside the third tile ring of Ayr.

This mechanism is immensely stupid. They really need to change it so that instead of all tiles having to be owned by the same city, instead the ownership of all tiles will just shift to nearest city when natural park is placed.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  2. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Warlord

National Parks is a cool idea ("America's Best Idea") that isn't quite "there" yet. I expect tourism to be a focus of the next expansion, or maybe a standalone rework like we saw with religion.

Alexander's Hetaroi likes this.
  3. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

If you remove the iron mine (you have enough iron!) and the quarry you might even get 2 National Parks out of this though. :p

ChocolateShake likes this.
  4. Temppu

Temppu Chieftain

I particularly like those game mechanics that require thousands of years of careful planning in game time. Makes succeeding in placement feel like something.

whylom and Dark_Jedi06 like this.
  5. Abaxial

Abaxial Chieftain

It seems that the National Park has to be oriented N-S, and not E-W for some reason ...

6. Maximo the Xth

Maximo the Xth Chieftain

If you really want that National Park, found a city between the stone and the oil and switch all the tiles to the new city.

7. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

Uuh, and how would that look different? :p

BrotherInJah likes this.
  8. Josephias

Josephias Chieftain

I've to support the OP in this one. The "city should own tiles" mechanism is too rigid in some cases, as the specific one presented (tile is not in any of the two cities 3-ring range).

If in city range, it is still matter of going to the tile switch mechanism, but in this case, there is nothing to be done.
    (BTW, I'm just wondering if this is even possible even if Ayr had claimed the tile, as I don't know if it would compute as a city tile).

Cerilis and Maximo have two good solutions to this situation, though :)

9. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Warlord

I don't have that much experience because I've only ever founded one, but I think you have to found it on the southern most tile and unfortunately that is a mountain. I could be wrong though and it is because the one city has to own the tiles.

10. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf Chieftain

Yeah I don't know how easy this would be for them to fix but I would definitely appreciate a softening of the requirements that all four tiles be owned by a single city, as that's usually the one factor that keeps me from placing a national park and it's really annoying. I mean typically a national park would be located on the less-developed outskirts of your empire right? That's precisely where there's most likely to be overlap in city borders.

11. Karpius

Karpius Chieftain

Natural Parks? Like for people who claim to be ....Naturalists?

I haven't seen the Natural Parks yet, but can I bring a camera?:eek:

12. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Warlord

They should probably bring loyalty bonus too.

13. kaspergm

kaspergm Warlord

Whatever ... language crossover.

Well wouldn't work because the (undeveloped) hill tile by the river is owned by Ayr (and can't be switched to Dumbarton :hammer2:), but really, that's beside the point: The point is a game mechanic should not have unnecessary restrictions that works against it. If they want to have an easy way to define which city gains "ownership" of the park, just make it so that the city that owns the tile that the naturalist is standing on when founding the park gets to own the park (and all tiles in it).

14. nitedemon

nitedemon Chieftain

Ya the claimed by one city requirement is maddening. They should really get ride of this and make it possible to transfer ownership of National Parks between cities ( maybe transfer ownership of districts too)

15. UWHabs

UWHabs Warlord

Yeah, that seems like the obvious thing that would make sense. Whoever owns the tile the naturalist is on auto-gets all the other NP tiles.

16. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf Chieftain

I love this idea but it would definitely need to be balanced and implemented carefully as it would lead to totally new strategies for district-building (i.e.: have the higher-production city build the district and its buildings, then trasfer it to the lower-production city). I actually really like the sound of that and it would be yet another way to encourage building cities closer together, which seems to be part of the idea behind districts in the first place.

17. Onii-chan

Onii-chan Chieftain

The combination of the facts that 1) they need to be aligned vertically for unknown reasons, and 2) you can't switch ownership of tiles more than 3 tiles away from a city center, makes national parks very poorly implemented still yes :/

18. Josephias

Josephias Chieftain

Just for the sake of clarity: this is possible. Normally, natural parks would be claimed by the southermost tile, but if this tile is impassable (mountain) and the only natural park that can be founded from another of the tiles is this diamond, it will offer it to you when placed in that tile.

IIRC correctly, I think I even founded a natural park from the Northernmost tile (3 mountains in the south and middle tiles)

Alexander's Hetaroi likes this.
  19. Piranga

Piranga Chieftain

The strict North to South orientation of national parks has really bugged me since the games release. Allowing the 4 hex diamond to be positioned E - W (or W - E) would give two more ways to fit national parks onto the map.

imgur.com/a/OWXQP

I don't see why these second two diamonds are not allowed.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    kaspergm likes this.
  20. Atwork

Atwork Immortal

I gotta diamond of tiles that ought to qualify for a national park, but I can't build one. I can think of only one reason why I can't: two tiles have a road improvement.

Is a road improvement disqualifying?

If so, how do I remove a road? I've tried using builders, units, and military engineers...help.