1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Natural Wonder Graphics

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Creation & Customization' started by JFD, Jan 13, 2016.

1. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

Does anyone know where the models for the Natural Wonders are located? At least for Krakatoa and the Great Barrier Reef - the two that I want - the feature_reef/volcano.gr2 files only appear to be effects (e.g. adding the Volcano one in game only gives me the lava-spewing effect and not the actual volcano itself), and not the full model. I can't trace them to ART_DEFINE_REEF/VOLCANO (or whatever), either, as it doesn't appear defined in any XML. So I'm guessing this is the same deal as with the Seagulls used in the Fish graphic - untouchable to modders.

Otherwise, does anyone know what makes Natural Wonders so special that they can't be plopped down after the map is generated, without their model being made invisible?

Thanks for any insight anyhow!

2. Nutty

Nutty Deity

3. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

4. Nutty

Nutty Deity

Frustrating, isn't it? I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to do (maybe a natural disaster mod where a mountain becomes a volcano?) but if you explain perhaps we can figure out a way to make it work.

5. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

I try not to expect anything when it comes to modding this game, so as to avoid those frustrations :p Especially with graphics, where Gazebo and Whoward can't come to the rescue.

I wanted to add Volcanoes and, particularly, Reefs as standard Features in my Exploration Continued Expanded mod, to give some further variety to the landscape (and to use Reef as a means of becoming a Jungle-esque obstacle).

I'd looked into this once before, when I first thought of hacking into the AssignStartingPlots (excuse my language) and the NaturalWonderPlacement files in order to place the Great Barrier Reef and Krakatoa more frequently, but that was a bit obtuse for me. At that point I also discovered Natural Wonders didn't load when placed, much like terrain.

Then I thought only recently that I could use a combination of Deep_Blue's resource generator, which I use for ExCE's new resources, and adding the models for the Great Barrier Reef and Krakatoa into my mod directly, inspired by the success of doing the latter with the Machu Picchu model in order to give the Inca a unique city graphic for Gazebo's CBP (as simply referring to the existing art defines resulted in an invisible Machu Picchu). Unfortunately, though, the models for those Natural Wonders don't seem accessible (I encountered a similar issue when I wanted to retexture the Seagulls from Fish for my Feathers resource, but couldn't access the seagull model - this seems to be the case for any animated model), as the gr2 files that I found were only the spewing lava and the ripple effect of the Reef (though these were able to be placed successfully).

So I don't think there's much to be done, really. It's no great loss, however, merely something that would've probably spiced ExCE up a bit.

6. Deliverator

Deliverator Graphical Hackificator

From what I can tell there are no .gr2 models for the reef or volcano (Krakatoa) but they are made via heightmaps in the same way that hills, mountains and the general terrain are. The heightmaps seem to be made from a combination of CSV files (e.g. Wonder_Reef.csv, Wonder_Asia_Volcano.csv, Afri_Desert_Hill_1_1.csv) and the DDS textures referenced by them - I don't know if there's any way to figure out what the values contained in there mean other than by experimentation. Also not all of the textures referenced in the CSVs seem to be openable (e.g. Wonder_Asia_Volcano_H.dds) but you might be able to extract them via TexMod. It might be worth some experimentation to see if the height maps can be altered or whether a whole new terrain element like these can be added in.

So in short Natural Wonder like these seem to be constructed along with rest of the terrain (hills, mountains, etc) and textured in the same way. The .gr2 files are just for the effects.