1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Natural Wonder toggle before city-state and civ ones?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Pietato, Aug 19, 2020.

1. Pietato

Pietato Emperor

Anyone else find that odd, seeing as the latter two are requested constantly?

2. Deadly Dog

Deadly Dog Warlord

Yup. Well, mildly annoying more than odd. I often select leaders to play against in my game, usually to supply my civ pick with some contemporary rivals, but also sometimes to exclude certain civs. Setting up my game yesterday I wanted to try Dido with Owls(SS mode) on a Terra Map, sort of a slow-burner survive the old world then expand into the new scenario, but I did NOT want to have Kupe go and steal all my fun. A simple way to exclude him (and probably Harald Hadrada) and still have random opponents would have been ideal.

I can see selecting CS being a high demand option but fear I would abuse it myself and put Auckland and Nan Madol on every water map I play. I'll see how I do with the Wonder selector first before I get eager about picking my CS's.

Equilin, Pietato and nzcamel like this.
  3. bite

bite Unofficial Civilization Cartographer Moderator

I assume this is a trial run to see if people actually use it before rolling it out across different categories

4. Swissy

Swissy Warlord

They have probably done it, and didn't like what they saw as far as how the advanced set-up would look. I've seen mods that add various game setting controls and the advanced settings page gets longer and more tedious to search through to set-up a game.To add CS and civ selection would require an overhaul of the advanced game set-up page.

5. pokiehl

pokiehl Emperor

No it wouldn't :confused: All they'd have to do is add another page upon clicking the option just like the natural wonder toggle

Pietato, Banazir864, Zaarin and 2 others like this.
  6. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

I don't find it odd considering the outcry over the new natural wonders being more on the fantasy side, which I believe the video addressed.

Meluhhan, nzcamel and Socrates99 like this.
  7. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

My thoughts exactly.

8. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

For CS, I would have preferred a balanced mode in which the system adds 1 of each per 6. Of course, some numbers that are not multiple of 6 would have less of one, but if it's 18 for example, it should have 3 of each.

Pietato likes this.
  9. Arithmion

Arithmion Warlord

I think this is it in part. With a CS picker, you've hamstrung the AI even more, if you know what city states are out there, which ones to gun for, and all of them suit your playstyle. (Though I have always wanted to tee up the perfect Kilwa setup.) This is the same reason people think Pangaea (and to a lesser extent Terra) are cheating: You're the only one that knows the map ahead of time. I do agree with Elhoim that a balance mode would be nice.

In regards to a civ picker, yes people want one, but I imagine it is low priority because we have a civ picker, just in a non-preferred format. (What we want is a civ excluder if you want to get pedantic.) I would also very much like a civ picker, as I would love to set up a game with only the ancient civs, or only post-colonials, but still leave some parts open ended. I'm with bite, I think this is a test run.

Elhoim likes this.
  10. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

Yeah, we already have half of the civ picker already, so that is almost certainly a large reason why it would be on the bottom of the list to have.

I think the wonder picker is more because natural wonders are much more divisive - some people don't want the fantasy ones, and others don't play a ton of games so want a higher chance to have the Bermuda Triangle show up, for example. CS picker would be useful granted, and while their effect from the best to the worst is almost certainly larger than the natural wonders, it's still mostly just a complaint on power. It's a lot more of a "I just don't like CS X so would rather not play with them" rather than a "I vehemently disagree with the inclusion of Natural Wonder X and it ruins my experience to have it there".

11. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

Oh my goodness you guys are riling me up and I won't be alone! :badcomp: ;) A Civ "excluder" has been wanted since vanilla brought back Gandhi and made him even more insufferable :rolleyes:
    Now they've shown their hand that they're willing to do it for another thing, the Civ one better not be far behind!

The other Civ I would (sadly) turn off at times is the Maori, for reasons touched on by @Deadly Dog .
    Being able to do this, and still having the excitement of not knowing what Civs I'll meet is huge! :dance:

12. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

I really would've requested neither ones because I go random every time I use civilization. Even my own civ I choose random. The only downside to this is that you can still get the same civilizations. I wouldn't really use the natural wonder chooser because I prefer that on random too, along with city states. Most of them have good music as well. However, the upgrade is free and it is appreciated that the devs are doing things for civilization. :p

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  13. Pietato

Pietato Emperor

I want to exclude Australia, Brasil, Scotland, Sweden and Kongo because their music sucks...

14. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

What we really, really need is a music picker. Before anything else.

Pietato and Banazir864 like this.
  15. Pietato

Pietato Emperor

That would be O-some.

pokiehl likes this.
  16. comatosedragon

comatosedragon Emperor

Although it makes little sense from a design standpoint; maybe it's because there will be no more natural wonders added, but we still will receive a few new city-states and Civs? IDK.

Actually, the easiest (and best, IMHO) way to implement this would be as Galactic Civilizations III has done - a simple checkbox next to each leader which says "available as random opponent?" This would also lead to the least clutter:

nzcamel, tedhebert and Pietato like this.
  17. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Idea Fountain

:wow: :gripe:[pissed]

Congratulations: every ambient theme has now been replaced by Hungary's Atomic Era theme. :band:

nzcamel likes this.