natural wonders a bust?

Natural wonders add a bit of flair to the map. In my last game, Catherine had a city neatly placed in the shadow of the Barringer Crater just on the southern tip of the continent. It was a picturesque scene that I felt guilty shattering with my barrage of rockets and modern armor shells.

They also add an incentive to exploration and another possibility for city-state quests. And who doesn't want aesthetically pleasing free happiness anyway?

I agree completely and will be adding to them in my mod: Words of War and Wonder; from my mod proposal post:

"Natural Wonders: Don't feel like Wonders at all, only workable mountains. Planning to change them to give "Wonder Like" bonuses when worked (and only when worked). For example:

The Grand Canyon (Three in line Hexes): +15% Bonus to Fortified Troops within your borders as long as all three Hexes are worked.

The Great Barrier Reef: +3% Science output for the city working as long as you control a University, +3% Science output for the city as long as it has a Public School -bonus is Per Hex, not "must work all".

Angel Falls (mountain hex, must be at river base): As long as Angel Falls is worked, all River Hexes in this city's borders get +1 commerce.

As it is now, I just don't care about natural wonders, and they were one of the coolest ideas for the game imho. "

I remember reading "If you see one, makes sure you settle by it before someone else does!" before the game came out and was psyched for them -now, I don't even notice them. My first few games I rushed to settle by them, then realized I would have been better off by those four tiles by the stunted river. . .

Natural wonders have been very important throughout history, often being of religious and spiritual significance to the people who lived by them. Niagara Falls helped usher in the electric age, Uluru (ayer's rock) was of great spiritual significance, Mt. Fuji is central in Japanese culture and legend, the Himalaya's (which can be rep'd by Mt.Everest) sheltered India from the mongols and limited their exposure to the rest of Asia, producing a more distinct and less blended culture.

The great barrier reef can be seen from space and is the single largest structure made by living organisms. It's far bigger than anything humankind has built, it can be seen from space, unlike the great wall, and is one of the most bio diverse locations on earth - to me that's a lot more "wonderful" than, say, The Brandenburg Gate.

some cool ideas.

I am not sure if this is a bug on my version/hardware or planned functionality in game, but my unit appeared to be unvisible when near Krakatoa (seemed like a ash cloud coverage), has anyone else have noticed this?

Yeah, and hello to everyone, first post and already complaining :) about bugs, sorry. And it is not a complaint, this could be usefull if you need to keep your marines secret before invading.

M

I am ok with the way Wonders are implemented from a bonus perspective, but I am disappointed with the choice in Wonders. I don't understand how Old Faithful, the Grand Mesa and the Barringer Crater are all there and Mt Everest/Victoria Falls/Niagra Falls, and other much more well known natural wonders did not make the cut. Is the Rock of Gibraltar really more wondrous than the sight of 'snow at the equator' on Mt Kilimanjaro?

The wonders feel like they were selected by the Marketing department to appeal to people in markets they wanted the game to perform well in.

Apart form additional hapiness, wonder's bonus tile yield is good enough...

but what (the hell) happen with game mechanic that make wonder tile's cost ridiculous expensive to buy and cultural border growth avoid them like plague, I can't figure it out...

I like the natural wonders. I think the main problem is that there are too few of them.
Not too many per map, but too few in general, so we keep seeing the same handful game after game.

Triple the number to choose from, and have several different names for the same graphic, then these would be more interesting.
Also, consider giving an extra boost to the *first* discoverer. Like a one-shot culture boost or something.

It looks like Natural Wonder is somehow a mountain even if NW is not a mountain. Well, it gives production and gold from tile, but I can build observatory next to it.
I expected that NW gives extra bonuses if I have it inside my border, but can I get more than what tile gives? More happiness or gold?

I expected that NW gives extra bonuses if I have it inside my border
The only advantage of having within your borders is tile yield. Same happiness whether inside or out, AFAIK, +1 per NW.

Top Bottom