Natural wonders

Since it looks like we're going with era scaling, does anybody have thoughts (positive or negative) on this yield proposal I posted a link to earlier? :)

I agree with most yields, but some NW seems too weak to me.
I suggest the following rule :
  • Base yield 6, and 2 yield per era
  • If too much gold, add 1 bonus gold to compensate.
  • If a special effect, remove 2 yields to compensate. I think it is better than removing one yield per era. (Not counting El dorado, because its effect is not always given to the one who settle near to it)
  • Remove happiness, because yields already cause happiness in VP (or add happiness to every NW).
  • Use only even numbers (except yields scaling by 1, and not counting the bonus gold)

Cerro de Potosi
Old : 6G 3P
Funak : 4G 4P
Wobuffet : 5G (2+2e)P
Suggestion : Good

El Dorado
Old : 6G 3C (+500G for first to find)
Funak : 4G 4C
Wobuffet : 3G (2+2e)C (+500G for first to find)
Suggestion : (5+e)G (2+e)C.

Fountain of Youth
Old : 6F 1Happiness (+Everlasting Younth)
Funak : 6F 2C
Wobuffet : 4F (2+e)S (+Everlasting Younth)
Suggestion : (4+e)G (0+e)S (+Everlasting Younth)

King Solomon's Mines
Old : 6P 3C
Funak : 6P 2C
Wobuffet : 3C (3+2e)P
Suggestion : 2C (4+2e)P

Krakatoa
Old : 6S 3P
Funak : 4S 4C
Wobuffet : 3P (3+2e)S
Suggestion : 4P (2+2e)S

Lake Victoria
Old : 6F 3G
Funak : 4F 2G 2C
Wobuffet : 2C (4+2e)F

Mt. Fuji
Old : 6C 3R
Funak : 4C 2G 2R
Wobuffet : (1+2e)C 2R
Suggestion : (4+e)C (2+e)R

Mt. Kailash
Old : 6R
Funak : 4R 2C 2G
Wobuffet : (4+2e)R
Suggestion : 2C 2G (2+2e)R

Mt. Kilimanjaro
Old : 5C 2F 2P (+Altitude training)
Funak : 4C 2F 2P
Wobuffet : 2R (3+e)C (+Altitude training)
Suggestion : 2F (1+e)C (1+e)P (+Altitude training)

Mt. Sinai
Old : 6R 3C
Funak : 4R 2C 2S
Wobuffet : (2+e)C (3+e)R
Suggestion : (3+e)C (3+e)R

Old Faithful
Old : 6S 1Happiness
Wobuffet : (1+e)C (4+e)S (+1Happiness)
Suggestion : (2+e)C (4+e)S

Rock of Gibraltar
Old : 5G 2F 2P
Funak : 4G 2F 2P
Wobuffet : 3C (0+e)G (3+e)S
Suggestion : 2F 2C (3+2e)G

Sri Pada
Old : 5F 2C 2R
Funak : 4F 2C 2R
Wobuffet : 3R (2+e)F (+Sacred Foodprint : +2mvt to civilian)
Suggestion : 2R (2+2e)F (+Sacred Foodprint : +2mvt to civilian)

The Barringer Crater
Old : 5S 2P 2G
Funak : 4S 2P 2G
Wobuffet : 4P (2+2e)S

The Grand Mesa
Old : 5P 2G 2C
Funak : 4P 2G 2C
Wobuffet : 3P (3+2e)F
Suggestion : (3+e)P (3+e)F

The Great Barrier Reef
Old : 2F 2P 2G 2S (two cases)
Funak : 2F 2P 2G 2S (two cases)
Wobuffet : 2F 2P (2+e)G (1+e)S (two cases)
Suggestion : 2F 2P 2G (0+2e)S (two cases)

Uluru
Old : 5R 2F 2C
Funak : 4R 2F 2C
Wobuffet : 3R (0+e)F (1+e)C
Suggestion : 2F (1+e)C (3+e)R

I agree with most yields, but some NW seems too weak to me.
I suggest the following rule :
  • Base yield 6, and 2 yield per era
  • If too much gold, add 1 bonus gold to compensate.
  • If a special effect, remove 2 yields to compensate. I think it is better than removing one yield per era. (Not counting El dorado, because its effect is not always given to the one who settle near to it)
  • Remove happiness, because yields already cause happiness in VP (or add happiness to every NW).
  • Use only even numbers (except yields scaling by 1, and not counting the bonus gold)

Cerro de Potosi
Funnak : 4G 4P

El Dorado
Funnak : 4G 4C
Suggestion : (5+e)G (2+e)C.

Fountain of Youth
Funnak : 6F 2C
Suggestion : (4+e)G (0+e)S (+Everlasting Younth)

King Solomon's Mines
Funnak : 6P 2C

Krakatoa
Funnak : 4S 4C

Lake Victoria
Funnak : 4F 2G 2C

Mt. Fuji
Funnak : 4C 2G 2R
Suggestion : (4+e)C (2+e)R

Mt. Kailash
Funnak : 4R 2C 2G

Mt. Kilimanjaro
Funnak : 4C 2F 2P
Suggestion : 2F (1+e)C (1+e)P (+Altitude training)

Mt. Sinai
Funnak : 4R 2C 2S
Suggestion : (3+e)C (3+e)R

Old Faithful
Funnak : 4S 4C
Suggestion : (2+e)C (4+e)S

Rock of Gibraltar
Funnak : 4G 2F 2P
Suggestion : 2F 2C (3+2e)G

Sri Pada
Funnak : 4F 2C 2R

The Barringer Crater
Funnak : 4S 2P 2G

The Grand Mesa
Funnak : 4P 2G 2C
Suggestion : (3+e)P (3+e)F

The Great Barrier Reef
Funnak : 2F 2P 2G 2S (two cases)

Uluru
Funnak : 4R 2F 2C
Suggestion : 2F (1+e)C (3+e)R

First of all, good job misspelling my name 17 times, that is actually impressive.

Second, you really shouldn't use odd numbers because that messes with the Polynesian 50% extra yield UA.

First of all, good job misspelling my name 17 times, that is actually impressive.

Second, you really shouldn't use odd numbers because that messes with the Polynesian 50% extra yield UA.

(Sorry, I've edit your name).

I've try to not use too much odd numbers because of that.
You could get rid of the odd number of gold buy either deleting the bonus yield due to "too much gold", either making it a +2 instead of a +1.
For other odd numbers, they came from the scaling with era. And I think that having two main yields instead of one was a good idea from Wobuffet, even if the Polynesian bonus became strange half of the time.

I think that Natural wonders have a spot in the world as a high yield early tile. I think scaling them by Era is unneccesary, and that having their base be more powerful then current allows them to go back to their place in the world as something you must settle initially for a boost to a city in yields.

They are just low for that job at the moment. Currently they add up to 8 yields in Funaks system, perhaps 10 yields would be the right number.

I think Natrual Wonders don't need added complexity, and there are a lot of other places that could potentially use it.

That being said, A lot of great effort is being put into this, so I hope the best that you guys come up with a great system that works well.

Hm, wouldn't it be pretty simple to just make sure the function the UA uses rounds up? (or that the appropriate systems can handle fractional yields – something I'm never sure of)

And I think that having two main yields instead of one was a good idea from Wobuffet, even if the Polynesian bonus became strange half of the time.
Thanks! I think it could go a long way in making sure each NW maintains at least a bit of a unique flavor.

I think that Natural wonders have a spot in the world as a high yield early tile. I think scaling them by Era is unneccesary, and that having their base be more powerful then current allows them to go back to their place in the world as something you must settle initially for a boost to a city in yields.
I can see this perspective. I guess it just seems like it'd be fun (to me at least) to have a couple consistent super-yield tiles per game. ;) There are only so many in existence per game, after all.

What if Polynesia's bonus just rounded up? Then it wouldn't be screwed by odd numbers.

I like the idea of NW getting more of a benefit.

One thing that I really like about the CBP is that it makes improvements a little more interesting than the base game. Having to clump farms or get the most out of villages makes the map much more interesting. With that said, I would love to see NW interact with the map a little more. So like people have mentioned that each NW has a base 8/9/12 yield whatever but that its secondary benefit be shared through the empire through a new UI. Let's say Nature Reserve or Menagerie which can only be built within 2 or three tiles of another Reserve, or only built on the third ring of a city. Something so that they are rarer then Villages. These would have say a base yield like that of a Village, perhaps with Tourism and Culture or Science, but each Reserve gains an extra benefit for each NW you have in your borders. Cerro de Petosi then would add one Gold to the tile and if worked gives the City an additional 2% Gold Yield. Something that would generate on average 5-6% yield per city. If the NW gives a Promotion, only cities that have a Nature Reserve in them get access to that Promotion.

The advantages gained would increase with the number of NW you have in your empire but are also subject to pillaging by invaders. Also, I think this staggers the benefits of a NW to later eras. So immediately you get a great tile, and then once you have the tech and the time to construct the UI you get additional benefits in your other cities.

Something like this for me, would deepen play with the map and would be something slightly more interesting than just another building. It could even lead to a National Wonder Nature Reserve and or National Park with extra benefits.

I like the idea of NW getting more of a benefit.

One thing that I really like about the CBP is that it makes improvements a little more interesting than the base game. Having to clump farms or get the most out of villages makes the map much more interesting. With that said, I would love to see NW interact with the map a little more. So like people have mentioned that each NW has a base 8/9/12 yield whatever but that its secondary benefit be shared through the empire through a new UI. Let's say Nature Reserve or Menagerie which can only be built within 2 or three tiles of another Reserve, or only built on the third ring of a city. Something so that they are rarer then Villages. These would have say a base yield like that of a Village, perhaps with Tourism and Culture or Science, but each Reserve gains an extra benefit for each NW you have in your borders. Cerro de Petosi then would add one Gold to the tile and if worked gives the City an additional 2% Gold Yield. Something that would generate on average 5-6% yield per city. If the NW gives a Promotion, only cities that have a Nature Reserve in them get access to that Promotion.

The advantages gained would increase with the number of NW you have in your empire but are also subject to pillaging by invaders. Also, I think this staggers the benefits of a NW to later eras. So immediately you get a great tile, and then once you have the tech and the time to construct the UI you get additional benefits in your other cities.

Something like this for me, would deepen play with the map and would be something slightly more interesting than just another building. It could even lead to a National Wonder Nature Reserve and or National Park with extra benefits.

This idea to me seems the best.

I have no skills or knowledge whatsoever on coding, but I imagine it would be tough to implement. I only added my thoughts because I thought it might spur new ideas that might be implementable but that might also cater to my desire for more interaction with the map.

I'd be more than happy to see bonus yields per era.

Hm, wouldn't it be pretty simple to just make sure the function the UA uses rounds up? (or that the appropriate systems can handle fractional yields – something I'm never sure of)

Thanks! I think it could go a long way in making sure each NW maintains at least a bit of a unique flavor.

I can see this perspective. I guess it just seems like it'd be fun (to me at least) to have a couple consistent super-yield tiles per game. ;) There are only so many in existence per game, after all.

Rounding up is requires floats and/or a lot more code than you think.

G

G
Ah, okay; pardon my ignorance. One idea would be, e.g., for a NW with :c5food: and :c5production: scaled, to alternate between +2:c5food: and +2:c5production: every era.

But personally, I'm not super concerned about one Civ's UA being underpowered by 0.5 or 1 yield for half the game.

But personally, I'm not super concerned about one Civ's UA being underpowered by 0.5 or 1 yield for half the game.

It's not about underpower or overpower or any power, it's about consistency. Here we have a chance whiled doing a rework with no extra efford on our side to keep the numbers even so that the 50% thing works out. Not taking that chance makes us look like clowns.

It's not about underpower or overpower or any power, it's about consistency. Here we have a chance whiled doing a rework with no extra efford on our side to keep the numbers even so that the 50% thing works out. Not taking that chance makes us look like clowns.

Fair enough; I've ditched the "split era-scale" NWs and reworked the yields to avoid odd numbers.

See either here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rLn7l2a7fjuXe4yfSqrIRzYLedC-i-zZ_V8OX9OfN3E/edit#gid=765585748
or inline here:
Spoiler :

I believe each NW differs from every other by at least 4 yields and/or having a different era-scale yield (which was quite challenging to pull off!).

I incorporated Moi Magnus' framework of base 6 yield (and no happiness), +2 per era, except
  • +2 initial yields if the yields include lots of gold (Cerro, El Dor, and Rock), and
  • -4 initial yields if the NW carries a permanent promotion effect (FoY, Mt. Kil, and Sri Pada).

Attachments

• nw_v2.1.png
    nw_v2.1.png
    42.2 KB · Views: 387

G

In this particuliar case, it is quite easy (except if of course, you do not have an easy access to values and you can only put a modifier) :
RoundUp(50% * X) = RoundDown(50% * (X+1))
RoundUp(150% * X)= -1 + RoundDown(150% * (X+1))

In any cases, here is a version without any odd number :

(Edit :I've written this post at the same time as wobuffet's post, so "wobuffet" reffer to its previous suggestion)

Spoiler :

Cerro de Potosi

Suggestion : 6G (2+2e)P

El Dorado

Suggestion : 6G (2+2e)C.

Fountain of Youth

Suggestion : 4F (0+2e)S (+Everlasting Younth)

King Solomon's Mines

Krakatoa

Alternative : 4S (2+2e)P, because there is too many NW on science, and not enougth NW on production.

Lake Victoria

Suggestion : 2C (4+2e)F

Mt. Fuji

Suggestion : 4R (2+2e)C

Mt. Kailash

Mt. Kilimanjaro

Suggestion : 2F 2P (0+2e)C (+Altitude training)

Mt. Sinai

Suggestion : 4C (2+2e)R

Old Faithful

Suggestion : 4C (2+2e)S

Rock of Gibraltar

Suggestion : 2F 2C (4+2e)G

Sri Pada

The Barringer Crater

The Grand Mesa

Suggestion : 4P (2+2e)F

The Great Barrier Reef

Alternative : 2F 2P 2S (2+2e)G (two cases), because there is too many NW on science, and not enougth on gold.

Uluru

Suggestion : 2F 2C (2+2e)R

So every NW is 6+2e (or 8+2e if too much gold, or 4+2e if a special effect), using only even numbers.

Some useless stats :
Spoiler :

If you use the "alternative choice", there is 3 NW for each yield (the GBR counting as two).
If you sum every yields, there is :
Gold : 18+2e, or 18+6e if alternative choice
Prod : 24+4e, or 22+6e if alternative choice
Food : 22+6e
Culture : 22+6e
Science : 6+12e, or 12+6e if alternative choice
Faith : 12 + 6e

If you really want a perfect balance between yields (so 18+6e for each), here is a suggestion :

Spoiler :

Cerro de Potosi

El Dorado

Fountain of Youth

King Solomon's Mines

Suggestion : 2C 2R (2+2e)P

Krakatoa

Suggestion : 4S (2+2e)P

Lake Victoria

Mt. Fuji

Suggestion : 4R 2S (0+2e)C

Mt. Kailash

Mt. Kilimanjaro

Mt. Sinai

Old Faithful

Suggestion : 2C (4+2e)S

Rock of Gibraltar

Sri Pada

Suggestion : 4R (0+2e)F (+Sacred Foodprint : +2mvt to civilian)

The Barringer Crater

Suggestion : 2P (4+2e)S

The Grand Mesa

Suggestion : 4P 2R (0+2e)F

The Great Barrier Reef

Suggestion : 2F 2P 2S (2+2e)G (two cases)

Uluru

In this particuliar case, it is quite easy (except if of course, you do not have an easy access to values and you can only put a modifier) :
RoundUp(50% * X) = RoundDown(50% * (X+1))
RoundUp(150% * X)= -1 + RoundDown(150% * (X+1))

In any cases, here is a version without any odd number :

(Edit :I've written this post at the same time as wobuffet's post, so "wobuffet" reffer to its previous suggestion)

Spoiler :

Cerro de Potosi

El Dorado

Fountain of Youth

King Solomon's Mines

Krakatoa

Alternative : 4S (2+2e)P, because there is too many NW on science, and not enougth NW on production.

Lake Victoria

Mt. Fuji

Suggestion : 4R (2+2e)C

Mt. Kailash

Mt. Kilimanjaro

Mt. Sinai

Old Faithful

Suggestion : 4C (2+2e)S

Rock of Gibraltar

Sri Pada

The Barringer Crater

The Grand Mesa

Suggestion : 4P (2+2e)F

The Great Barrier Reef

Alternative : 2F 2P 2S (2+2e)G (two cases), because there is too many NW on science, and not enougth on gold.

Uluru

So every NW is 6+2e (or 8+2e if too much gold, or 4+2e if a special effect), using only even numbers.

Some useless stats :
Spoiler :

If you use the "alternative choice", there is 3 NW for each yield (the GBR counting as two).
If you sum every yields, there is :
Gold : 18+2e, or 18+6e if alternative choice
Prod : 24+4e, or 22+6e if alternative choice
Food : 22+6e
Culture : 22+6e
Science : 6+12e, or 12+6e if alternative choice
Faith : 12 + 6e

If you really want a perfect balance between yields (so 18+6e for each), here is a suggestion :

Spoiler :

Cerro de Potosi

El Dorado

Fountain of Youth

King Solomon's Mines

Suggestion : 2C 2R (2+2e)P

Krakatoa

Suggestion : 4S (2+2e)P

Lake Victoria

Mt. Fuji

Suggestion : 4R 2S (0+2e)C

Mt. Kailash

Mt. Kilimanjaro

Mt. Sinai

Old Faithful

Suggestion : 2C (4+2e)S

Rock of Gibraltar

Sri Pada

Suggestion : 4R (0+2e)F (+Sacred Foodprint : +2mvt to civilian)

The Barringer Crater

Suggestion : 2P (4+2e)S

The Grand Mesa

Suggestion : 4P 2R (0+2e)F

The Great Barrier Reef

Suggestion : 2F 2P 2S (2+2e)G (two cases)

Uluru

There are quite a few places that the code is altered, though – you'd be looking at hundreds of edits for 'rounding.' No reason to have Polynesia's UA be the only thing that rounds up.

G

Fair enough; I've ditched the "split era-scale" NWs and reworked the yields to avoid odd numbers.

See either here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rLn7l2a7fjuXe4yfSqrIRzYLedC-i-zZ_V8OX9OfN3E/edit#gid=765585748
or inline here:
Spoiler :

I believe each NW differs from every other by at least 4 yields and/or having a different era-scale yield (which was quite challenging to pull off!).

I incorporated Moi Magnus' framework of base 6 yield (and no happiness), +2 per era, except
  • +2 initial yields if the yields include lots of gold (Cerro, El Dor, and Rock), and
  • -4 initial yields if the NW carries a permanent promotion effect (FoY, Mt. Kil, and Sri Pada).

Is this taking into account that we'd like to make promotions universal instead of dependent on pilgrimage?

Yep! Tile owner (and only the tile owner) gets the promotions, so tile owner gets fewer yields to compensate.

Top Bottom