Nature/Ents/Tom Bombadil

Yeah. The goblins are not directly under Sauron's control, and are generally not satisfied when they are indirectly (see the bit in the books where Merry and Pippin are running with the Uruks).

...having shadow being able to build giant spiders?

Yes, that would fit. The mother of all giant spiders, Ungoliant, was originally a servant of Melkor, but turned against him. Some should serve the Shadow, some should be wild.

^^that's a good idea. HOwever, i don't think they could betray to the other side...just become barbarians that are currently residing in the Shadows' lands.

EDIT: How about having spiders being stationary and invisible, in places like mountain passes, where they can randomly appear sometimes...also, you couldn't send a force to kill them, you'd have to bring enough people on a "caravan" to not lose anyone. For exampe, Cirith Ungol.

EDIT: How about having spiders being stationary and invisible, in places like mountain passes, where they can randomly appear sometimes...also, you couldn't send a force to kill them, you'd have to bring enough people on a "caravan" to not lose anyone. For exampe, Cirith Ungol.

I like this:goodjob:

Good ideas... And I think that barbs don't build cities, the "barbarian cities" in the game are truly from a Minor Civ. Or at least it's what it seems in the civ file.

Good ideas... And I think that barbs don't build cities, the "barbarian cities" in the game are truly from a Minor Civ. Or at least it's what it seems in the civ file.

Which civ file exactly do you mean?

OK: so the Minor Civ with its cities become Nature (forest-style city graphics, invisible borders, no workers, unique units including Ents, Huorns, Ravens, Old Man Willow. The randomly-spawned barbarian units will remain barbarians, and include orcs, spiders, stone giants etc. :goodjob:

I remember playing a Civ IV scenario with a couple of minor civ. Can't remember the name, but you had the choice to play as the greeks, roman or persian. There was a couple of minor civ which were at war with everyone and didn't do any diplomacy. So Nature could be in a state of no diplomacy and be at peace with everyone, except if someone make too much harm to the forest or something like that.

Then again, for the barbs, we would simply not give them any settler and worker units and make them unable to have any cities. They only pillage the surrounding area where they are, and the number of barb unit generated must balance the fact that they have no city.

It's the Cilizations.xml, I think. They have like 2 factions for barbs, and as far as I understood one was the one that builds cities and the other is the one that has only roaming units.

It's the Cilizations.xml, I think. They have like 2 factions for barbs, and as far as I understood one was the one that builds cities and the other is the one that has only roaming units.

Great, I'll have a look ASAP.

Roaming units can capture cities, of course. So even if the barbarian-built cities become Nature-civ tree cities, barbarian cities may still exist as well. :)

I think Tom Bombadil should be part of the same basic 'wild, but not barbarian' civ as the Ents. Correct me if I'm wrong.

No.

Well, the trouble is, he is a significant character that should be included, but he doesn't deserve a civ of his own ... maybe the Elves or the Ents.

Why not handle stuff like the Ents and TomBombadil as special events?

When you chop a certain number of trees you might end up with an army of angry ents on your doorstep?

Maybe something similar could be done with Tom.

It's not a bad idea, I'll do events next, so I'll see if this can done simply (with only XML). But what would trigger Tom? What would he do, after all?
In order to trigger Tom Bombadil, it could be a totally random occurance. Maybe if you have a unit entering a Forest tile (this forest tile representing the Old Forest) could randomly create a Tom Bombadil unit? :confused:

As for what he'd do ... Well I can think of two things that he did in the book:

1. He resisted the One Ring
2. Drove the Barrow Wights away from the hobbits

#1 is an extremely great achievement. Perhaps if someone was working on the One Ring wonder, they'd have to start the "building" process from the start if you had Tom as a unit on your side? Or perhaps this could be a "use-only-once" unit that dissappears once you delay the enemy civ's creation of the One Ring?

#2 the unit could be used to fight supernatural units (wights, undead, wraiths, etc.). Thats pretty limiting however, and I don't think it'd be appropriate to have him roaming around outside of the Forest square you discovered him (Tom would never leave the Old Forest!).

I would go with the first option. You wouldn't be able to move Bombadil out of his single Forest tile, so you'd need to protect and wait to use him once an enemy civ begins production of the One Ring (which I suppose you could get notifications about if you possess a Tom Bombadil unit).

If an enemy unit were to enter the same tile that Bombadil is on, I could either see the unit unable to be taken capture (he's a pretty sneaky guy) or to simply dissappear (with a random chance of him reappearing on said Forest tile maybe? Then other civs could get this unit up for grabs).

Now, if that Forest tile that Bombadil is on is cut down, then I think Bombadil should dissappear entirely (He's a spirit of the Forest: what better way to get rid of one then to chop his forest away?).

Just some ideas, might be better off leaving Bombadil out of the mod.

great achievement. Perhaps if someone was working on the One Ring wonder, they'd have to start the "building" process from the start if you had Tom as a unit on your side? Or perhaps this could be a "use-only-once" unit that dissappears once you delay the enemy civ's creation of the One Ring?

"Power to defy our enemy is not in him." - Galdor, councilor of Elrond. It would be better to maybe make him somehow be a "safe" for the ringbearer. Perhaps by stealthing him. I don't know if we have ringbearer functionality though.

"Power to defy our enemy is not in him." - Galdor, councilor of Elrond. It would be better to maybe make him somehow be a "safe" for the ringbearer. Perhaps by stealthing him. I don't know if we have ringbearer functionality though.
Yeah I know that quote ...

I'm just trying to stretch out a reason for why anyone would want to find ol' Tom! :lol:

Maybe if the Ring brings any deficiencies of the Ringbearing civ's enemies, then having Tom on your side could neglect these deficiencies? Yeah okay, that's pretty far fetched too I suppose ...

Bombadil could just be an Easter Egg, with no real purpose except to strain the mind of the player wondering what the fat and jolly little man in yellow boots is supposed to do. And (of course) everytime he appears, he sings one of his silly songs! :p

Bombadil could just be an Easter Egg, with no real purpose except to strain the mind of the player wondering what the fat and jolly little man in yellow boots is supposed to do. And (of course) everytime he appears, he sings one of his silly songs! :p

I raelly like this idea :goodjob:

Who will be brave enough to actually voice record Bombadill's nonsensical verses?

Top Bottom