1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Nau design

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by onepurpose, Mar 25, 2021.

1. onepurpose

onepurpose Warlord

Well , I do not want to create polemic.. but the sail has an "X" instead of a cross ("+")

That cross was very distinctive (indeed , the red cross is related to Templar Order , that in Portugal -as opposed the rest of European countries- had not been disolved , )

Even Civ V Nau design did respect the historical accuracy ..

Nau_(Civ5)

Do anyone still deny Civ VI 's wokery???

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  2. Duke William of Normandy

Duke William of Normandy King of England & Unofficial Welcoming Committee

You do realize that the Leader they chose for Portugal was the one who introduced the Portuguese Inquisition, right?

3. onepurpose

onepurpose Warlord

They could have put blank sails if did not want to respect the historical accuracy

The final outcome is pretty awkward and pretty deliberate ...

4. DogeEnricoDandolo

DogeEnricoDandolo King

And what exactly is the difference between putting an X cross on the sails and having blank sails if both options depict it equally wrong / historically inaccurately?
    It is not like the historical link between the Templars and the Cross sail is internationally well-known with many people emotionally invested in it. What controversies are they trying to avoid when literally the vast majority of people playing this game don't have the knowledge about the potential controversies in the first place?
    I can guarantee you, for the people who complain about the smallest details, if the Nau is designed to have blank sails, you will still be here asking why and say "they could have put X cross sails if did not want to respect historical accuracy."

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    Atlas627, Wellfooled, Haig and 4 others like this.
  5. Peserwin

Peserwin Chieftain

Guys, this game has hordes of cultists, mythical heroes, bloody vampires and now freakin' zombies ffs. Why are we even talking about historical accuracy?

evahappy, Socrates99 and Elhoim like this.
  6. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

You can be Buddhist Portugal and Christian Aztec. Where does a Templar Order fit in that? Your preoccupations and obsessions are getting out of control.

Also, how are you only now noticing that religious symbols do not appear in units and buildings? It's been five years. Arabia's flag is a Palm Tree. Are you asking for special treatment? Isn't special treatment woke too? You should be careful, you might catch it.

Moderator Action: You may disagree with other posters, but please do not resort to personal attacks. Focus on the argument, not the person making it. - Recursive

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2021
    evahappy, Mr. Salt, Karmah and 4 others like this.
  7. João III

João III Warlord

I just assumed they altered religious symbols for all civs so it's not as goofy when I'm Zoroastrian Portugal and there's a Christian cross on my ships. That'd be more immersion-breaking for me

Mr. Salt, pokiehl, Karmah and 9 others like this.
  8. onepurpose

onepurpose Warlord

9. Henri Christophe

Henri Christophe King

I noted that too, the cross in Civlization's Nau are very strange

10. AriaLyric

AriaLyric Nonbinary | Peaceful Builder Vietnam & Māori Main

and? making the symbol an X cross instead of a + cross makes it less related to that, because sure you can be a christian Portugal in game, but you could also be Portugal and found the crab cult religion, worshippers of the Almighty Crustacean, in which world there would be no Portuguese "Order of Christ" founded in 1319 CE, but rather a Portuguese "Order of the Pincer" founded in 420 BCE. Or you could be a Buddhist Portugal, etc etc.
    Yes, I'm assuming the Portuguese Order of Christ was very historically significant, but as you pointed out, they could've just made the sails blank. They chose to still reference the history despite avoiding specific religious symbolism.

Mr. Salt, Atlas627, Karmah and 5 others like this.
  11. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

Though now I want religious symbols to appear in buildings, units, sails, etc, after you select a religion in Civ 7.

LMT, Karmah, Socrates99 and 6 others like this.
  12. AriaLyric

AriaLyric Nonbinary | Peaceful Builder Vietnam & Māori Main

Yes! I think it'd be cool if they made Order of Christ Cross-style versions of the symbols for other religions, which get swapped out for each other if Portugal's majority religion switches, or something like that.

13. Zaarin

Zaarin Diplomatic Attaché to Londo Mollari

I'm a hyper-conservative Christian, and this doesn't offend me in the least? :dunno: I mean, erasure of Christianity from history is a problem--but I don't at all see that as what's happening here, in a game where Christianity is literally the only religion divided into multiple sects.

14. iRule

iRule Warlord

Yes, my man, and let me explain you why:

1. João himself brought the inquisition into Portugal, and turbocharged the slave trade to Brazil. So, you know, they could have gone with a way less problematic leader - like Maria II, Pedro II's sister by the way, who decided to make bullfights illegal in the 19th century because it was a barbarian loodlusting sport (her words, not mine - what a lass!)
    2. Imagine you pick Buddhism for Portugal, fancy wheel icon and all, and end up with the Cross of Christ in your nau. Uh.

You're looking too much into things. The only thing that's super woke here is me this weekend, playing Civ all night till I get an extra hour because of DST on Sunday.

15. Futumch

Futumch Calm as a Coma

What would be really cool (in my opinion) is to have some of the sailing vessels use the civ's logo as a charge on their main sail. For example, the Greek omega, the Australian kangaroo, the Maori swirly. In appropriately coloured discs. Think of it like a decal being applied over the top of an empty sailcloth.

16. Duke William of Normandy

Duke William of Normandy King of England & Unofficial Welcoming Committee

The great ideas that came out of this thread deserve a thread of their own.

LMT, Hellenism Salesman and AriaLyric like this.
  17. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

This. If they are going to waste (IMHO) graphics resources on Leader portraits you will never see while you are playing that Leader, use some of them in Civ VII to give us more variety on the actual units we are playing with.

Ideally (in my "Perfect Historical 4X game") you should be able to pick your "National Emblem" - which could be purely patriotic or related to your Religion or even a combination - Curtin's ships sporting a kangaroo superimposed on a cross on their sails, or for Cosmic Irony Spain in the game chooses Judiasm as their religion and sends an Armada out with blue crosses of David on their sails and banners.

In fact it wouldn't be hard to provide a 'set' for each Civ in the game: a symbol for flags carried by units and sails displayed by their ships, and a related insignia for aircraft, and then a set for each Religion that you could adopt instead.

And as for crosses as symbols, just a reminder that among European Christian nations, on the flags and banners of the War of the Spanish Succession (1702 - 1714 CE) there were Bourbon Crosses, Crosses of Burgundy, Saint Andrews, and Saint George all displayed - and two of those crosses appear as 'X' not '+'

18. Kupe Navigator

Kupe Navigator Emperor

the problem with it is NOT because it makes civ VI look "wokery" but rather it makes nau look like a Spanish ship... not Portuguese. since red X crosses are often associated with Spanish Empire.

Kjimmet, Atlas627, AriaLyric and 4 others like this.
  19. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

That was the first thing I noticed too, though I'm still not completely bothered by the design that they chose.

20. pokiehl

pokiehl Emperor

Wish my life were leisurely enough that I could afford the energy to get “triggered” by videogames like this!

ezzlar, Kjimmet, Menocchio and 6 others like this.