Naval Flag Units

tom2050

Deity
There was an old thread (not too old, sometime last year? IIRC) about making naval units that are flag units that can be picked up and brought to capital or VP location for gold (same as land flag units that are picked up).

And someone found a working solution, I'm thinking it was Virote! but I can't locate the thread for the life of me! If anyone remembers this thread or it's location, I'd appreciate it muchísimo

There was an old thread (not too old, sometime last year? IIRC) about making naval units that are flag units that can be picked up and brought to capital or VP location for gold (same as land flag units that are picked up).

And someone found a working solution, I'm thinking it was Virote! but I can't locate the thread for the life of me! If anyone remembers this thread or it's location, I'd appreciate it muchísimo

Tom I used that in my Napoleonic wars Global scenario. I used it with the whale unit that you made for me. I used wyrm's steam frigate as a whaling ship and gave it the capture flag. the whale was given zero attack and defense and given the Flag unit flag. The whaler ship would capture the whale and return it to a home port that had a VP. It worked quite well.

PS I also tried it, giving the whale an attack strength of 3 and it still worked, as long as the defensive strength is 0.

Tom I used that in my Napoleonic wars Global scenario. I used it with the whale unit that you made for me. I used wyrm's steam frigate as a whaling ship and gave it the capture flag. the whale was given zero attack and defense and given the Flag unit flag. The whaler ship would capture the whale and return it to a home port that had a VP. It worked quite well.

PS I also tried it, giving the whale an attack strength of 3 and it still worked, as long as the defensive strength is 0.

Does AI use it? Whatever solution I remember being mentioned was great because it was said the AI would pick the units up and cash them in also (I think). I know for sea units you cannot select a flag AI strategy, even with Flag under unit abilities selected. So I suppose it's really not possible for AI to know what to do with them. Maybe with Quintillus editor the flag AI strategy can be forced on.

But if it works for human only, then that it is okay also.

Thanks for asking the question, tom2050

I was stumped on this one. I wish I could find that old thread, had some really good info in it.

Does AI use it? Whatever solution I remember being mentioned was great because it was said the AI would pick the units up and cash them in also (I think). I know for sea units you cannot select a flag AI strategy, even with Flag under unit abilities selected. So I suppose it's really not possible for AI to know what to do with them. Maybe with Quintillus editor the flag AI strategy can be forced on.

But if it works for human only, then that it is okay also.

I was stumped on this one. I wish I could find that old thread, had some really good info in it.

With the seal ( which you also made for my scenario ) I was able to give it an AI strategy of explore but no Attack or defend because it has no defensive strength. I could give it attack strength and maintain its statis as a flag unit. Once you give it defensive stength, I think it looses its flag stat. The whale on the other hand as a sea unit would accept no AI strategy.

Also another interesting tidbit. For the seals, I preplaced the Seals all on islands. I also placed VP markers on the islands. The reason being, that the AI will keep the flag units in its cities. The preplaced units, headed straight for there home cities 1st turn. After I placed the VP markers the seals left the cities and headed for the VP markers. It worked great for me, because it is the only unit the AI can produce on the island and is auto-produced by an improvement which is also pre-placed.

I was thinking, That in order to keep the AI sea flag unit moving at sea, maybe you could place some VP markers at sea. If this is a historical scenario you could place them where historical naval battles were fought. For a fantasy or other non historical scenario you could place VP markers a key or stategical location or wherever you want the AI to concentrate its naval forces. It might be something worth exploring.

Top Bottom