1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Naval Lovefare

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by CivFart, Dec 3, 2010.

1. CivFart

CivFart Warlord

Am I the only one who loves naval warfare in civ? This is why I like to play the english because you get 2 extra movements at sea, even more movements when you get the right promotions.

There is one thing I tend to get a bit frustrated about, it is that you can only stack 3 planes on a carrier. I know that I can easily change this in the game files, but I don't want to mess up the game.

Take a look at my navy in this picture and you know what I mean by that. :lol:

2. Samuil

Samuil Warlord

Don't you think you just may be overdoing it?
    I mean, come on, what is the maintenance you pay for all that?
    Spamming trading posts is wrong :p
    Game is way cooler with spamming farms, when you have to budget your troops or you go into deficit :) And what happens when you destroy everyones navies?
    And having a city with 47 citizens rocks :p

3. MadRat

MadRat Cheese Raider

This would be a genuine PIA to play, but What I am finding interesting is how Singapore has this very nice little military. I seldom see a CS in the late game with more than 1 unit.

The best part of the screen shot is the paratrooper though.. seeing how the AI just keeps putting all these units on embark.. /facepalm.

The bottom line is you may love naval units but this isn't necessary the AI is so brain damaged that you can conquer the world with a 10 unit force.

Rat

4. CivFart

CivFart Warlord

MadRat: The AI is very efficient and fast at expanding and producing military units on deity, but it is not a very good opponent beyond that. However, fireaxis have said that their goal with this game was always to have the player "progressing" in the game instead of "declining". They said they wanted to always have the player going from "good" to "better". So the bad AI is probably not an accident, I think it is more likely an attempt to give kids as well as grown ups a chance to play easy.

The incredible large navy I have was in port for a short refit and for a switch in "layout". I group them into several task forces and places them in strategic places all over the map so that I can strike an enemy from wherever he may be in an instant, without having to move forces when I need them, they are always in range of an enemy.

If you look at the continent on the right side of the map. There are washington, japan, persia etc. That island was recently 100% controlled by japan, japan is a very aggressive player. They took over the entire island and I liberated it again with the help of my task force on the left side on the picture. They just returned home.

5. charon2112

charon2112 King

I love that naval units can now fire at range. It's so much better.

6. manu-fan

manu-fan Emperor

Only stack 3 on a Carrier? They're supposed to represent a group of aircraft. I thought it would be fair if you could only stack one LOL.

BTW: Very impressive navy!!!

BTW2: I presume you're playing as Lizzy and going for the Naval achievement, right?

Cheers.

7. Luckystrike77

Luckystrike77 Prince

No doubt. I am in love with the naval system in Civ V. It's the best in the series. The bombardment rule, healing in friendly territory only, one unit per tile and those vulnerable transports gives the naval warfare the love it has always needed. Aircrafts being able to destroy ships completely, like in the final version of Civ3, is also very good stuf.

I just miss Galleons, Ships of the Line, Privateers and Cruisers. I also think the battleship should be so powerfull they originally intended (at least almost), but really expensive both in production and upkeep.

8. LordTC

LordTC Warlord

Lots of carriers carry multiple types of aircraft. A single carrier group might have fighters, interceptors, bombers and recon aircraft. I think at a minimum you'd want to be able to have multiple aircraft types on a carrier so stack 1 is clearly wrong. I'm not sure if more than stack 3 is needed given the lack of aircraft diversity in CiV 5 though.

9. Gazurtoid

Gazurtoid Chieftain

Holy crap, how did you get so many ships like that?!

10. Left Foot

Left Foot Chieftain

By my (admittedly) quick count, I make 42 aircraft carriers.

Assuming they're all Nimitz class vessels, and taking into account:
    - a cost of US$ 4,5B per unit
    - 5680 crew per unit

(numbers taken from here )

That means that just the carrier fleet set your economy back by 190 Billion dollars and you have about a quarter of a million poor souls afloat as we speak.

That's roughly the economy of Egypt, and the total population of Plymouth (UK).

By the way, how did you build them? Purchase them outright or did you have a slew of coastal cities pumping them out the hammer way?

11. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

What difficulty level were you playing at? I can't imagine spamming so many ships, and I don't really see the need for it since the AI barely builds any.

12. MadRat

MadRat Cheese Raider

What I want to see is the upkeep cost of this monstrosity of a fleet. I find that beyond 20 or so units you can ruin your economy. Is this an ICS game?

Rat

13. Titan357

Titan357 Chieftain

I love battle ships, last night I had a slug match, my two battle ships against Russia's two battle ships. England (me) Vs Russia (A.I on king)
    I ended up bringing in a sub and a destroyer, while Russia brought in a second destroyer and some land units (wtf?!).

Was fun. Nukes are fun too.

I find king is my match level, the A.I gives me a challenge, but is not unbeatable.
    But I am getting better. Its my first Civ game.

14. Warspite2

Warspite2 Prince

Holy cow look at the Carriers! Wait a minute, surely this can't be real? :eek: Hmmm... is he playing tricks on us in the editor? Oh and I need to let my sig show in this thread, very appropriate :lol:

15. Samuil

Samuil Warlord

I bet several nuclear missiles would make short work of a huge part of your navy, given you group them so tightly :rolleyes: