Naval Units, Naval Warfare is WRONG

Originally posted by RegentMan
Some things in Civilization just aren't realistic, but the game's still a lot of fun :)!

Realism is a property of reality. And games, for their inner nature, can't be realistic... but close related to reality.

The games MUST be fun or either they won't be games. They may mimic reality, but they do it by a modelling process which indeed simplifies the reality itself. That's what every knowledge does. Simplify the reality.

For realism, i just go and see the Iraq after war news or read the history of Rome.

Keep civilized

David

quote:
what.. each got 150 battleships?..... hard to believe..
No, each had 300. It was a little scary. If they had used that fleet.....
THis was a huge world
IT's been awhile, but it was a space race, neck and neck. Apparantly they set every port to build ship after ship, and never had occasion to use any, so they just stacked up.
I'll see if I have a save that old.

Hereś my two cents worth: I´ve done some testing of changes to naval combat and found that the AI can handle some drastic changes quite nicely.

By doubling the movement rate for modern ships like destroyers and transports, made it a greater challenge to defend, as the AI would forever be dropping off small invasion forces anywhere far away from your forces in your homeland. It made it necessary to keep screening forces around at all times since in many games I rarley bother with a navy if I can march there.

By increasing the A/D/M from the 1-2-4-8 progression they currently use to a 1-2-4-8-16-32 and increase the number of ships from the Galley-Galleon-Ironclad-Destroyer-Battleship to include more technological steps like 1st Generation Destroyers (WW1), 2nd Gen (WW2) and 3rd Gen (AEGIS) and having their attack and movement increase along with it, made for some more interesting challenges as you will find battles against technologically inferior oppenents much more ´realistic´ where a WW1 Destroyer will blow an Ironclad out of the water every time when they are in open water. The difference in attacks being an Ironclad used solid iron shot and a destroy had larger guns firing HE shells.

This still doesn´t fix the problems of the AI never building harbours until the 1400´s (if they live that long) and the lack of anything related to trade. I think we need something like the Caravans from CTP2 and trade routes shown on the map to make naval power politically and economically useful.

After all, without Drake´s privateers, Elizabeth would never have had the gold to do much of anything during her reign. And the Spanish would never have built the Armada to go after her if the privateers hadn´t hurt their economy so badly. At the end, the Spanish were totally reliant on the gold they were extracting from South America to keep their kingdom going.

I think I will have to see if the editor will let me spec out merchant ships. It would be nice to see a tradeship necessary just as a road is for establishing trade between ports.

D.

in civ 2, i just build 9 battleships, 9 aegis, 1 transport, and 1 carrier in the center of the 9 square formation. it's like a mobile sea force. Carrier is loaded with a dozen fighters and s-bombers. and several cruise missiles plus a nuke or two while transports holds 2 spies and mech infantries for taking over cities.

I really love it. =D i just sent my spy to blow up the SAM sites and proceed to knock the crap out of every target in the city, mech infantry rolls in, rinse and repeat.

Originally posted by Punkymonkey
redhulkz-you're from singapore?
My mom's family is from there. Wow i guess it's quite a small world. By the way, how's the SARS situation, i haven't heard from my family in a while, is everything cool? Stay well!

that sars thingy been defeated.. small deal..:crazyeye:

Hows the SARS channel?

i totally agree with the sea power complaint. (Best game ever
still tho) I think that air and sea power need some overhauling because it could be like all the land fun in the earlier part of the game. Triremes and sailing ships and supplying colonies-disrupting trade ect. Submarines should have bombard capability
instead of like ramming. It would be cool to have carrier battles
with planes and bombers, dog fights ect. They like skipped ww1
style planes and overlook the fact that the RAF and The Royal Navy are what saved england-(aside from code breaking and radar and america of course lol) Whomever suggested merchant fleets..cool idea...HoweverI suspect that it may be hard to implement this and have new users be able to cope with all of that tho. Took me awhile to get the hang of the game as it is.

Well if you unchecked the requires support box for the naval unit in the editor i guess the seas would be a very crowded place. Probably no squares left!! Just an idea. Maybe someone can try it.

Top Bottom