1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Naval Units

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Aceman101, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Aceman101

Aceman101 Chieftain

I am interested to know what is everyones favourite Naval unit. There has been so much talk about land attacks so I thought I might make a thread about naval units.

I don't know how to make polls but, What is Your favourite Naval unit from the industrial age onwards. Well it doesn't have to be from the Industrial age onwards but you would rather want Modern Naval units rather than Frigates, right?

I have a few on my list...

1. AEGIS Cruiser - Mainly for defense against air attacks (With 3 Anti-Air-Defense points they're almost as good as Mobile Sam's).

2. Battleship - 100% because of it's tough attack\defense values. And also it's bombardment strength is (I think) the best.

3. Cruiser - Because It's cheap and is fairly tough.

4. Destroyer - I use these because of how fast they are. These are good explorers.

5. Nuclear Submarine - Because they are invisible, can launch tac nukes, can see other sub's and can chose to attack a certain unit in the stack.

I have chosen my top 5 in order. But you can chose your favourite one. Or you can just list them in order like I did.

2. Pyrrhos

Pyrrhos Vae Victis

1. Transport in any form; galley,caravel, galleon or transport. Absolutely vital!

2. Battleship - I've always had a soft spot for the great battlewagons! That the icon looks like Yamato & Musashi is a bonus!

3. Nuclear Sub. Sneak, sneak...

4. :shake:

3. Aceman101

Aceman101 Chieftain

:dubious: I can't believe I forgot about them!

Good choice! :thumbsup:

Yeah, that's useful.

I just find subs secondary, and tough ships like cruiser primary.

4. Bartleby

Bartleby Remembers laughter

I don't have a favourite, but I have a least favourite: the AI boat with a settler on it when all their bases are belong to me.

5. Aceman101

Aceman101 Chieftain

Yeah that's nasty!

6. Marsden

Marsden Keeper of the HoF Annex Hall of Fame Staff

I don't think you meant UUs but my favorite naval unit by a long shot is the Dromon. They carry 2 units, and they have a flamethrower on the front. They are the most dangerous thing on water until ironclads (and you don't see many ironclads since conquests made it a seperate tech).
    That means until the AI gets to combustion, your Dromon can dominate the sea as long as it doesn't sink D'oh

But really, I have used my Dromons to destroy enemy frigates and galleons without too much trouble. The key is not to go 1 on 1, but still, by this time you should have plenty of 30 shield Dromons to have a good force.

The Byzantines are the only civ that can do naval interdiction.

7. Delphi456

Delphi456 Chieftain

I love carriers. Load 'em up with 3 bombers and 1 fighter for recon. Quick way to wipe out all AI naval units.

8. MAS

MAS Chieftain

Dromons, Marden explained why...

9. dirtworm

dirtworm Chieftain

i hate naval units so much
    first of all their bombard blows huge chunks, like i have 15+ battleships and they almost always miss, i have given up on them. gets me so mad.

10. SuperBeaverInc.

SuperBeaverInc. Groucho

Battleship
    Cruiser
    Destroyer
    Transport
    Carrier

I don't really like any of the ships before the Industrial Age.

11. psweetman1590

psweetman1590 Chieftain

Transports and Carriers. In that order. Usually, all the other ships are there solely to protect these two. For all I talk about not needing airpower, I still love it and it's my chief way of hurting a civ across the globe when I can't afford a full invasion. :D

12. Aceman101

Aceman101 Chieftain

You can also include UU's. The sad thing about dromons is... Caravals raplace them. And dromons are waaaay better than caravals. Caravals don't have any bombard, they're attack is worse but they got more transport capacity and defense. But that can't compare to a dromon. I love the lethal sea bombardment. Stack of 10 dromons = :goodjob:.

I agree. I think dromons are better than Frigates and all the other middle aged naval units.

So do I. But carriers loaded with bombers are hot property and should be defended well. Afterall it would add up to a lot of shields lost if the AI destroys it when it is loaded with bombers. I usually take about 5-6 carriers and load 1 up with fighters and the rest with bombers. I use the fighters for air superiority. I don't like recon missions.

But you would rather have battleships, right???

I don't believe someone said that... To me the naval units are what keeps the game alive. They are so fun.

Mein either. Except the dromon.

There you go, you do use bombers!!! :lol:.

13. Sweetchuck

Sweetchuck Chieftain

Battleships are my core naval unit. Pretty tough to go against.

Destroyers are great upgrades from ironclads. Useful in war, but especially useful when you put them on explore - they cover a lot of world map pretty quick.

The transport in vanilla was better - you could carry 8 units where Complete only allows 6.

I never built a curragh until recently. What a toy this thing is, it even has sound effects that are cheezy and it moves base something like two tiles.

14. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

Dromons are awesome.

Other than that, I don't like boats at all.

15. SG-17

SG-17 Chieftain

all of them, im a naval person
    but mainly carriers, battleships, and transports

16. Aceman101

Aceman101 Chieftain

Yeah - they're tough allright. Some disadvantages are, they're slow and they cost a fair bit (Not every city can afford them).

They're good sea explorers. They're pretty in-demand in my navy :D.

I figured that out a week ago :(. I only just got complete too.

:lol: Yeah, and did you see how small it looks?

:( another anti-naval person.

:) Yeah I like 'em all...

17. Sweetchuck

Sweetchuck Chieftain

The bombardment visual that the battleship has is pretty cool. If you've ever seen old films of battleships bombarding, the CivIII battleship is pretty close to the real thing.

The way one side opens up and blasts, rocking the ship back and forth - good stuff.

18. Aceman101

Aceman101 Chieftain

Once I noticed, though, that the battleship turned to the oposite direction of it's intended target. And it did damage. It looked like the bombard went all the way around the globe and still hit :lol:.

19. psweetman1590

psweetman1590 Chieftain

@Aceman - I never said I didn't use bombers, only that artillery are more useful and that bombers are never required. :p ;)

20. Taras Bulba

Taras Bulba gone

curragh-(for a couple reasons)-1, that they come at Alphabet, which is freakishly early, 2, with seafaring nation, 3 move rate is a beast and great for early exploration, and 4, it is funny to watch em' take down an enemy galley (barbarian most likely) with just 1 arrow flyin' out. :lol: