• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

NBC to Donald Trump: You’re Fired

Cutlass

The Man Who Wasn't There.
Updated, 4:34 p.m. |
NBC just told Donald J. Trump, the Republican presidential candidate and former star of “The Celebrity Apprentice” reality show, that he’s fired.

Following inflammatory remarks that Mr. Trump made about Mexican immigrants during his presidential announcement, NBC said in a statement that it was ending its business relationship with the billionaire real estate and media mogul. During his June 16 announcement, Mr. Trump referred to immigrants as “rapists” and “murderers.”

Citing “derogatory statements,” NBC said that it would no longer air the Miss USA and Miss Universe pageants that were part of a joint venture with the network.

Mr. Trump gave up “The Celebrity Apprentice” before announcing his White House bid, and NBC had reiterated that he would have no role in that show. The reality series, which pits entrepreneurs against one another, added to Mr. Trump’s fame as he popularized the catchphrase “you’re fired” when dispatching contestants.

Last week, Univision said it would no longer air Mr. Trump’s pageants after his remarks. Mr. Trump suggested that he might take legal action for breach of contract and banned Univision executives from using his golf course in Miami.

On Monday, a Change.org petition urging NBC to end its relationship with him garnered more than 200,000 signatures, adding to pressure on the network to dispatch him.

The show was once a hit for NBC but its viewership has waned in recent years. In its first season in 2004, it gave NBC a much-needed ratings boost when the show averaged nearly 21 million viewers, according to Nielsen. But the most recent season of “Celebrity Apprentice” brought in 7.6 million viewers an episode, an improvement in each of the last two seasons, but significantly lower than the show’s first five seasons. The most recent season, which ended in February, was the first “Celebrity Apprentice” season since 2013.

Nevertheless, NBC said that it will move forward with the show. In a statement, it noted that the show is “licensed from Mark Burnett’s United Artists Media Group and that relationship will continue.” The network did not say who would replace Mr. Trump as host.

Mr. Trump has brushed off criticism over his comments and has said that his personal wealth gives him the ability to speak his mind freely without worrying about political backlash or the need to please donors. He said in an interview with CNN over the weekend that he was forgoing millions of dollars in business opportunities to pursue his run for president.

By losing his NBC platform, Mr. Trump’s bid became more costly. However, at a news conference in Chicago, he stood by his immigration comments and said that NBC had been unhappy with him since he decided to run for president and step away from his show.

“I told NBC I could not change my stance,” Mr. Trump said. “The fact is that my stance on immigration is correct.”

Mr. Trump went on to say in a statement that NBC was too “weak” and “foolish” to understand the seriousness of America’s immigration problem. He also derided the company over its handling of Brian Williams, the news anchor who was demoted after fabricating his reporting experiences.

“They will stand behind lying Brian Williams, but won’t stand behind people that tell it like it is, as unpleasant as that may be,” Mr. Trump said.

Reporting was contributed by John Koblin

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2015/06/29/nbc-to-trump-youre-fired/

Alright, who's going to step up to defend this victim of political correctness?

Ole Dick screams pretty good considering the number of holes in his lungs at that point...

Well, to DonaldDolan Trump's defence, he acts completely selflessy in compassion for the white working class American, as he doesn't have to care about Mexican immigrants. He can build thousands of Mexican-free gated communities all across the US and decides to complain about immigration instead. Classic!

Alright, who's going to step up to defend this victim of political correctness?

Was it political correctness when people were "firing" the Dixie Chicks because one of them expressed regret Bush lived in Texas? That was after he and his cronies lied us into a war. There are examples of people from all ideological sides dis-associating with others who anger them. But one side invented "political correctness" to describe other people doing it.

Seems to me one of the few expedient methods of exerting a little control over big business is the threat of being "fired" - he just got fired.

Well, to DonaldDolan Trump's defence, he acts completely selflessy in compassion for the white working class American, as he doesn't have to care about Mexican immigrants. He can build thousands of Mexican-free gated communities all across the US and decides to complain about immigration instead. Classic!

'Dolan' :thumbsup:

This will probably help Donald Trump politically.

I don't see how this would be true. Aside from the fact that this draws attention to his comments against latinos (making them even less likely to vote him), it's embarrassing and makes him look weak and foolish. And with two GOP candidates speaking spanish and one pretending to speak spanish, it looks like they're starting to take the latino voting base a little seriously. How will Trump getting thrown off NBC and Univision for being a dick to latinos help him? I guess there could be a martyr effect, but I doubt it'd help much.

Well, his comments do sound like he is the opposite of calm or thoughtfull.
Sounds more like a walking reaction or exclamation mark (the latter is a phrase used by a jewish author- not Kafka, obviously- to describe 'fanatics' of any kind)

I don't see how this would be true. Aside from the fact that this draws attention to his comments against latinos (making them even less likely to vote him), it's embarrassing and makes him look weak and foolish. And with two GOP candidates speaking spanish and one pretending to speak spanish, it looks like they're starting to take the latino voting base a little seriously. How will Trump getting thrown off NBC and Univision for being a dick to latinos help him? I guess there could be a martyr effect, but I doubt it'd help much.
It was a joke. A popular Civfanatics meme is "this could hurt Obama politically" because the Republicans try to blame him for everything.

But Trump is actually trying to turn this into a positive among his supporters who will apparently believe anything. He doubled down and even called NBC hypocrites for not similarly firing Brian Williams:

“I told NBC I could not change my stance,” Mr. Trump said, suggesting the network could face a lawsuit for violating their contract. “The fact is that my stance on immigration is correct.” Mr. Trump also derided the company over its handling of Brian Williams, the news anchor who was demoted after embellishing his reporting experiences.

“They will stand behind lying Brian Williams, but won’t stand behind people that tell it like it is, as unpleasant as that may be,” Mr. Trump said.

I actually wasn't kidding.

Donald Trump doesn't give a crap about latinos voting for him. He cares about blue collar, very socially conservative white people in Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina voting for him, and saying outlandish things is very much part of his specific strategy. Now he can play the martyr card against the big, bad, hypocritical media establishment, for daring to tell the truth about immigration or whatever.

It's a cynical strategy, but it's not like particularly politically sophisticated people are part of Donald's base. He's just trying to out Bobby Jindal the Bobby Jindals in Iowa to carve out a niche, nock a few people out, and keep this train going. He knows exactly what he is doing.

Donald Trump doesn't give a crap about latinos voting for him. He cares about blue collar, very socially conservative white people in Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina voting for him, and saying outlandish things is very much part of his specific strategy. Now he can play the martyr card against the big, bad, hypocritical media establishment, for daring to tell the truth about immigration or whatever.

It's a cynical strategy, but it's not like particularly politically sophisticated people are part of Donald's base. He's just trying to out Bobby Jindal the Bobby Jindals in Iowa to carve out a niche, nock a few people out, and keep this train going. He knows exactly what he is doing.

Do you think he knows where he is aiming for? I find it hart to imagine someone knowingly giving this impression if he wants the US to elect him president. Do you think he is just doing this for advertising?

Well, what he is really doing is setting himself up for a colossal defeat if he actually becomes the Republican nominee.

Do you think he knows where he is aiming for? I find it hart to imagine someone knowingly giving this impression if he wants the US to elect him president. Do you think he is just doing this for advertising?
It is difficult to imagine he is using a substantial amount of his own money to make a political statement like Ron Paul or even for advertising. I think a far better explanation is that he is one of the most stupid people on the planet, despite his apparent ability to grow daddy's money.

Top Bottom