[BTS] NC 210, Isabella I. of Castile (1474-1504)

Tobiyogi

King
Welcome to the Reign of Isabella!

It is the year 1474 and in quite stormy times, the heir of Spain, Lady Isabella I. of Castile has ascended the throne. While the country is divided into smaller kingdoms like Castile, Portugal and Aragon, the southern part is under Arab rule, as the „Moors“ have been conquering Spain since the 8th century. In the perspective of reconquering Spain (and going beyond Spain), you cannot do without the Conquistadores, Cuirasseers with an extra 50% :strength: vs. Melee units. Make sure that you have the required resources (horses / iron).
Also is the country seeking a strong alliance with another European force, and the fact that Isabella is still not married, could help a lot.

Your quests are as follows:

A. Forge a strong alliance with a European Nation. It's up to you if build up just a trade relation or if you pursue a defensive pact or even a Permanent Alliance (option enabled by default, but you can undo this by loading a custom scenario game). Isabella's spiritual trait (no anarchy during civic changes + 100% :hammers: on temples) will help you to adapt quickly to diplomatic changes and to please others. Keep in mind that your catholic family would be very amused to see you forge an alliance with a male, European ruler from the same religion (the highest goal). If you decide to play without alliances at all, try to keep one potential “consort” at pleased throughout the game.

B. As for the :traderoute: you have more liberty, but you are never ever allowed to trade with Arabia! They are our worst enemies and therefore the 2. goal consists in wiping out Arabia completely. They have humiliated us long enough and the only answer can be a definite bloodbath. You decide when the time for the Reconquista has come, but it should be complete. And don't take the trade embargo lightly, as your people will fall easily into civil war when their Queen is giving in to the occupying force. It is part of the challenge to fight someone without knowledge of his territory (you could use :espionage: though....) and without the possibility to earn “dirty” money by selling/trading him useless techs right before the DoW.

C. Found at least one :religion:. As Spain starts with Mysticism + Fishing, you might be tempted to go straight for Buddhism or Hinduism, but keep in mind that you shouldn't neglect worker technologies neither. Indeed, with Isabella being expansive, you will benefit from a 25% :hammers: bonus on workers / + 100% :hammers: on granaries and harbours / +2 :health: in all of your cities. So, give your quick workers some work to do and don't wait too long for pottery.

You don't have to convert to your own :religion: though. You should rather stay open to what Kings and Princes from neighbour countries are doing, as you want to ally with one of them.

Take a look at the starting position and judge whatever is best.
isabella start.JPG

Last but not least, maybe you can find some use for the magnificent Spanish Citadel, a castle that provides +5 XP points to siege units built in the same city. Placing it in your best military city (combined to a Heroic Epic and to settled GG's) and getting some powerful Trebs can be a decent strategy. :c5war::c5war: Nevertheless, with Economcis, castles lose all of their bonuses while only the extra defense of 50% (except vs. gunpowder units) is preserved. I believe that Citadels also lose their unique ability.

Spoiler about the map :
Fantasy Realm, small map, medium sea level, 2 extra opponents (all opponents are chosen in support of the storyline), more than 800 land tiles, so 7 Civs should be o.k. Resources appear irrationally which means they are mostly covered by unusual terrain (like horses in the jungle or on ice). It is recommanded to toggle the yield display to “on” and to check twice before settling any new place.

Spoiler map edits :
Removed a jungle here and there, as on fantasy maps, jungle grows even in the capitols. Some strategic resources were relocated according to the story. Every Civ has something to defend with, but the UU's are not guaranteed from the start. Don't be scared by the rocks and tundra in the capitol, there is enough decent tiles in our surroundings.

Spoiler how to give barbs the right techs :
Enter the Worldbuilder while covering the mini-map with one hand. Try to scroll down to Barbarians without seeing the other Civs. Give them their appropriate techs according to your difficulty level: Noble/ Monarch = HUNT, Emperor = HUNT/ARCH, Immortal = HUNT/ARCH/AGRI, Deity = HUNT/ARCH/AGRI/WHEEL

Your quests in a nutshell:
  • Wipe out Arabia (no trades or open orders are allowed beforehand, neither can't they become your vassals).
  • Found a religion.
  • Build up good relations with a male, European ruler. You can forge a defensive pact or a permanent alliance. At the very least, you should keep someone at “pleased” throughout the whole game (hard enough).
Don't feel obliged to these extra challenges and be free to play the map as you want to!

Attachments

• NC 210.rar
    277.2 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
Short notice on the citadel. I was running and old Isabella save game where I was close to Economics. Built a citadel in the capitol and every new siege unit came out with 8 XP (barracks + citadel). After having discovered Economics, I did the same and every new siege unit came out with 3 XP. So the UB becomes obsolete very soon. Strange thing was that even after Economics, the info text from hovering above a trebuchet told me it would gain +8 XP, but eventually it came out with only 3 XP.

Immortal Difficulty (no huts/no events/normal speed)

Turn 92 575BC - Arabia DEAD

Spoiler :

settle on PH riverside for extra hammer (Deer, Pigs, Fur) - later stone, incense
Tech Path: Hunting / Mine / Bronze / AnimHusb / Wheel / HorseRid / Arch / Pott

Cities: Oasis/Gold/Ivory - find horse (horse archer rush :ar15:)

early fur helps tech pace
pre-chop/whip/road

opportunity for worker steal :confused:
ok - will take it
kill two scouts and ceasefire

build chariot for barbs
build stable while getting archery
ok - should have granary by now :nono:

Turn 74 here we go

Civ4ScreenShot0057.JPG

Turn 82 capture Bahgdad (flat two archers), Medina (hill city one spear two archers)
brief ceasefire because he has too many units in Mecca, then re-DoW and take capital
hopefully that is his only metal source gone

Does capturing a Holy City count as founding a religion ? :D

Civ4ScreenShot0059.JPG

Turn 87 Damascus (only two archers)

Civ4ScreenShot0060.JPG

Last one - ex barb city

Civ4ScreenShot0061.JPG

Diplo - everyone hates Brennus (so no suitor material for Izzy)

About Map
Spoiler :

world wrap is unusual
I seem to have a string of cities north to south

seriously weird tiles on Fantasy Realm (needs concentration)

Thanks for the additional challenge

Attachments

• Isabella I. of Castile BC-0575.CivBeyondSwordSave
    127.4 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Love the RP-heavy setting, and trying out fantasy-realm for the first time is tempting too. :)
Thanks so much for hosting @Tobiyogi

Turn 166 1060AD Did found a Religion and most suitors are pleased

Spoiler :

limped to Curr and war recovery

GProph -> Theology (for trades)
GMerch -> ToArt 1100:gold:
GSci -> Educ

Phil -> Founded Taoism

lib -> MilTrad
Civics: HRule / Bureau / Caste / FreeRel
now tech GunPow for Conquistadors :ar15:
target the universally hated Brennus (who I am pretty sure is poisoning all my water)

Civ4ScreenShot0062.JPG

Attachments

• Isabella I. of Castile AD-1060.CivBeyondSwordSave
    185.9 KB · Views: 178
target the universally hated Brennus (who I am pretty sure is poisoning all my water)

If you watch the spy screen right after a foreign spy action, you should see who is to blame (the responsible civ has minus points in its line with yellow color)

Does capturing a Holy City count as founding a religion ? :D

seriously weird tiles on Fantasy Realm (needs concentration)

Of course not. You must found your own religion :) but you already did

The tiles need extra attention. But they are very rewarding from time to time

Spoiler :
when I look at all the riverdside cottages and the gold, especially in Medina, I would say the land is way too good....

Floodplains incense :banana:

yeah, in my opening, I settled on the PH and worked the incense, even though it slowed down my worker by 2T. (compared to working any 2H tile). I would argue that this is suitable for someone with very bad starting techs. But 10T worker is good as well.

Turn 221 1555AD War between the sexes (still one pleased "consort" left)

Spoiler :

1320AD Brennus DEAD - could have capped but did not want "Motherland / Rivals as vassals to your empire" nonsense
Tech: to Rifles/Cavs
Next Target: Hatty

Civ4ScreenShot0065.JPG

couple of turns later Joao calls AP vote to assign Bibracte to himself :mad: - no point defying

1470AD capture three Hatty cities and she caps
Tech: to Cannons
Upgrade: to Cavs
Next Target: Vicky

Civ4ScreenShot0066.JPG

1540AD capture five cities and Vicky caps next turn - she just got Redcoats :eek: so timing is fortunate

Civ4ScreenShot0067.JPG

1555AD
Tech: MilSci (for trades), Hatty to Comm, Vicky to Steel
Next Target: Joao for Domination (got to keep Fredrick "consort" at pleased :hug:

Civ4ScreenShot0068.JPG

Attachments

• Isabella I. of Castile AD-1555.CivBeyondSwordSave
    233 KB · Views: 169
Turn 258 1740AD Domination Victory
2 out of 3 challenge complete (got "consort" to pleased but probably needed a few extra turns to get friendly to enable Defensive Pact)

Spoiler :

used Cavs to take Oporto and Evora (too many CGII rifles in Lisbon - so await cannon)

Tech: Steel then trade for Comm / Mil Sci instead
GProphet -> GAge and pump out Vass/Theo promoted cannons
Switch State Prop

Defy AP (Joao) to return Portugese cities (Hatty also defies :))

Fredrick the Consort asks for Confucianism, so agree :hug:

Take Lisbon and Bibracte for Domination :queen:

Civ4ScreenShot0069.JPG

Thanks for your efforts in creating an enjoyable challenge :)

Attachments

• Isabella I. of Castile AD-1740.CivBeyondSwordSave
    255.9 KB · Views: 149
Post Game Thoughts on Failed Challenge
The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Spoiler :

• if not for the challenge I probably would have tried for the Mids (given stone in BFC) and therefore early access to Rep and/or Police State
  • didnt get Pott, so no Granary for growth/whipping (wrong, but quicker to horse archers ?)
  • built stable for extra promotion against PRO archers (right or wrong?)
  • built few roads towards Saladin for extra movement (right)
  • didnt settle third pig city - Saladin put in city for me (right)

• made sure I had at least 9 attackers (I find this safer at approx 3:1 rato - right or wrong?)
  • took cease fire after capturing first two cities because Mecca had too many units (right, but against challenge rules I think)
  • kept Polynesian - ex barb city (wrong - I should have burned this as maintenance costly after coming out of revolt and city didnt add much for most of game - maybe could have gifted to another AI for added Diplo ?)

• post war economy really struggled - had to delete some warriors and work every possible commerce (thank goodness for gold mines) tiles to limp to Currency (wrong - see above on city maintenance)
  • bulbed Theocracy from GProphet (holy city Mecca) for trades (right - I think ? as able to trade for other techs to catchup, also opened Chicken Itza (stone) failgold)
  • tech path went Philo for religion (right I think ? - have seen @Lain do this for opening up Pacifism and also tech trades as AI often dont take this path)
  • tech path to Lib and stop one-turn short (right - got MilTech for Conquistadors)
  • built/spread Hindu missionary for Holy City (never really done this before, so honestly dont know if this was right or wrong ? in terms of hammer payback)
  • gifted some tech to Brennus to keep him at least Cautious - I failed this badly in last NC game against Boudica/Shaka (right ? - didnt want him plotting against me before I am ready to attack him)

• chopped/2pop-whipped Conq using Vass/Theo after switching to Hindu just before troop build (right ? - I think extra XP helps)
  • pre-built a couple war elephants to upgrade (right ? - upgrading horse archers is expensive)
  • wiped out Brennus as universally hated AI to avoid Motherland/Rivals vassals to your empire negatives (right)
  • Conq are great units but I am late attacking due to lost time in post-first war recovery, so cant continue without Cavs (costly - so wrong)
  • upgraded quite a few to Cavs from war gold (right - upgrade cost seems worth it)

• kept most AI at pleased through Fair Trade / Open Border / No Religion choice (right - maybe except for no religion as no Org Religion bonus)
  • built courthouses to reduce crppling maintenace costs (right or wrong ? - should have built Forbidden Palace ?)
  • switched to State Prop after Comm - big commerce improvement but late in game (right - particularly as vassal researched this for me)
  • overbuilt farms with workshops for extra hammers - good improvement in production (right)

• begged 10g before AI attack to stop war bribes against me and/or Peace Vassal - have watched @Lain do this (right)
  • tried to cap AI and move to next target as quickly as possible (right - particularly against Vicky who just got Redcoats)
  • sniped two border cities from Joao (right - these were lightly defended on flat land)
  • defied AP vote to return Joao city as I now have vassal happiness/resources (right - no red faces)
  • waited for cannons before finishing Joao (right - multiple CGII rifles are way too much unit attrition for even PinchCavs)

Other Improvements / Suggestions ?
  • should have switched to Confu after capping Hatty, for better diplo with Fredrick (Vicky already Free Religion, Joao next target anyway))
  • can always learn to micro-manage better

Deity NH/NE Turn 31

Spoiler :
Early tech path was : Hunting - Masonry - Agri - Mining - BW

I did reload once after i found out that you can not pasture pigs in a forest, somehow i thought you could do it, like with deer or fur in forests.

Well so already failed the no reload challenge, next i decided to go for an early stone wonder, either SH or TGW. Settled for the SH because getting free monuments is quite nice in the early game, and a Great Prophet could help me claim my own religion later in the game.

A bit late now on the settler production, so i think i will go straight for 2 settlers to avoid being boxed in too hard. Saladin is really close though, maybe gift him a city, or go for archery after BW to be safe.

upload_2019-7-9_9-50-55.png

Settled for the SH because getting free monuments is quite nice in the early game, and a Great Prophet could help me claim my own religion later in the game.

A bit late now on the settler production, so i think i will go straight for 2 settlers to avoid being boxed in too hard. Saladin is really close though, maybe gift him a city

Spoiler :

SH has a lot of good arguments, as you start with Myst, have a strong stone tile and want the GP (if you go for the challenge). I went for TGW as on IMM, other civs are not so close and I wanted to save all the hammers on barrracks and warriors.

I would not gift a city to someone who is not too aggressive and who will be a possible target anyway

I am happy to see that you went for the full challenge! Great result. I was not able to keep my "suitor" on pleased neither (IMM game)....

Spoiler :
as Frederick went out of our common religion.

I cannot comment on all of your questions but I think domination with 2/3 challenges completed is a great result. I was surprised to see you attack Saladin while having only 2 cities. I would have built more for quicker reinforcing. Unfortunaetly, a problem in that game is that Madrid grows quite slowly and you don't want to waste time on settlers. (whipping is also arguable). So maybe chopping settlers? Or getting the cheap granary earlier before starting to whip?
Btw, bulbing Theology and switching into Theocracy is very Isabelle-like :)

Spoiler :
So yeah, I think first of all, pottery should come quite early. Maybe even without AGRI because I don't see any important AGRI resource. And the mids, I don't know. Rep is not very attractive, as there is a lot of happiness and I would rather work cottages than Scientists. I think it was a good decision to go for some failgold instead of completing wonders. Because failgold brings you closer to CONQUISTADORS and there is a chance to conquer the mids later for late-game-benefits

Last edited:
Spoiler :

Settled on the PH, went agriculture later, hunting was probably way better.
Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG

I did check "Choose religions" to increase the likelyhood that an european founds christianity.
Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG

Time AH so that I can pasture the pig the turn it finishes, but I cant.
Looking at the land all around me, I'm just so confused, nothing makes sense and I feel completely lost.
Terribly sorry, but can't continue this. Too much crazy going on. :)
Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG

Thoughts.

Spoiler Thoughts 1080bc. :

Settled on plains hill. Stole worker from Arabia.
Hunting/AH. Ooops BW needed. Worked fur and teched toward BW. Chopped a bit before improving pigs.
Expanded to 3 cities.
Oracle built took HBR. May use GP for Xtianity if I can. Otherwise I need philosophy. (3-4 chops used for this.)
2nd and 3rd cities used chop and a whip to build HA. Capital just whipped.
Arabia now dead.

I appreciate I need to get a male leader to pleased.... What is rule on beating down 1-2 AI with HA first here? I will need to gift resources to get an AI to pleased here. That or a city.

Attachments

• Isabella I. of Castile BC-1080.CivBeyondSwordSave
    97.4 KB · Views: 185
No need to switch into Xtianity. Spain is certainly strictly catholic but you know, the Civ4-Isabella also loves buddishm. My idea was that the biggest challenge would be to close an alliance with a male European from the same religion (no matter what reliigion).

So early warfare is fine if you can get male Ai to friendly.

Top Bottom