1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

NC LV: Huayna Capac of the Inca

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by dalamb, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Amao

Amao King

my bad, i haven't posted for a while and forgot the diff between quotes and spoilers. updated. thanks.

2. GGS

GGS Warlord

Monarch/Epic. 1200 AD.
    Spoiler :
    On the wonder front the Incans actually managed the Kashi Vishwanath in Persepolis - all gold is good. Cuzco lost the Mausoleum of Maussollos for 324 G but added the National Epic, the crucial Notre Dame and the Parthenon is possible in two turns.

The real show was the Mongloian War which began in 1040 with elephants, catapults, trebuchets and pikemen. Kublai Khan was a tad behind in power and construction is still not in sight.

A fine outlying city 3N of the copper NE of Cuzco was kept as was a city 4W,1S of Tiwanaku. The elephant city was razed and so was one 5E,1S of Karakorum although it was replaced with a new city equidistant of the wheat and clam. The first Great General is instructing recruits in Persepolis and the war will continue as long as it is affordable.

3. vranasm

vranasm Deity

Monarch/Epic played to 10AD

I have set my personal record for number of cities, since I got 16 :eek: of them and didnt crash too hard!

Spoiler :

Initial thoughts were to use ind trait of the leader, I decided other way and tried Quecha rush... after getting lisbon and persepolis (mongols are on hill :-() I just peacefully rexed trying to avoid hard crash.

I selfteched from the important techs IW, Alpha, Currency, Monarchy (well basically almost everything since KK thinks he has almost on everything monopol...to my luck Hammu appeared so trading should be easier soon)

Now i have dilemma if to tech CoL ( I could get it in 6 turns with slider at 10% or 8 at 0% getting money) or to trade currency for math and tech calendar, since that could move happy slider even more!

I capped some barb cities so some places are not ideal... esp. to the east i am missing there sheep+fish spot, but could place city on sheep to get the fish but it would be modest city at best.

There seems to be interesting island at eastern peninsula...would really strong think about making there city with oversea trade for rest of empire since AIs dont have enough cities to give me enough 2 base trades.

basically i think i should try to improve economic somewhat... (I hope that will catch up with maturing cottages), maybe getting CoL and hard whip courthouses should bring me big forward.

well fun game...even if it's a bit cheesy

4. Caeserportugal

Caeserportugal Prince

I will start playing this tomorrow.

5. Caeserportugal

Caeserportugal Prince

So my first ever Noble club's game playing as Huayna Capac of the Incans. His traits Financial and Industrious are two of my favorite traits. Financial gives +1:commerce: on all tiles with 2:commerce:. That makes usually for a cottage econamy. Indstrious give +50% wonder production and as such leads to building more wonders. It also gives double production to Forges so building the Oracle to get MC seems like a good strategy.

Its Unique unuit the Quechua I found to be a great unuit if I start with a neighbour near me I might rush the guy using Quechuas and take him out. So the plan in the begining is to train a couple extra Quechuas. The UB the Terrace I find great as well, in addition to the normal Granary bonus it gives +2:culture: making good to expand boreders early in the game. That also makes Monuments less important to build though, and also makes Pottery an important early tech so here is the starting position.

I am inclined to settle in place thoguh I will first move the Quechua onto the forested grassland to check. I iwll come back on the 1st check point to tell you how I am playing.

I am playing on Noble difficulty and Normal speed by the way.

6. Caeserportugal

Caeserportugal Prince

Spoiler :
    So I settled Cusco in the spot. The land had corn rice and clams so it will grow fast. I decidied to send my starting quechua exploring to the north. And started by building a Quechua and resarching Polytheism to try and found Hinduism.

As soon as Cusco borders I expand I met Joao.

WHAT this close to me well guess the Quechua will see some action after all. I planed to build an army of 4 Quechuas and conquer Portugal.
    The following turn I discovered Polytheism and founded Hinduism in Cusco.

Around 3320 BC I met Kublai.

So much for this being a peaceful game and later I found out he is starting very close to me to the west. I may have done a mistake trying not the rush him as well. Oh well lesson learnt take more advantage of the Quechua in the future. I probably should have played this on Epic speed.
    In 3320 BC my army was ready and I declared war on Portugal

Just the turn before I attack Lisbon. Joao founds Buddhism.

Nice of you Joao to found a religion for me. I attacked the following turn. It appears I would only need 2 Quechuas. The first onw died but weakened the warrior so much that the second one attacking next took the city and eliminated the Portuguese.

I next having explored more decidied to begin my dotmapping.

The turn I finish Pottery I meet Cyrus.

I usually can get along with Cyrus so later as you will see I would convert him to one of my religions. Kublai ended up adopting Judaism which I missed by a turn to some unknown AI.

I don't know if I should found this city later. It is gonna be a later grab though.

That green one I also don't know if I will grab it.

This one will be probably grabbed early.

Not so sure about this one.
    Then came perhaps the two worst turns of my play. First I found out Stone henge was built in a faraway land while I was 3 turns from getting it:(

And the next turn I miss Judaism to an AI close to Kublai that I haven't met.:(:(

Here is another city I will probably found later.

In 1200 BC though I get the Oracle and use it to discover Code of Laws and found Confucionsim on Tiwanku which was founded on top of a Sugar resourec cloes to a lot of other good resources unfortunatly I forgot to take a screenshot of its founding. I will continue in the next post sicne I have hit the limit of images on this one;) but advice and pointing to mistakes I made will be gladely appreacieted byt the way the save is below the spoiler. The save is from 975 BC and in there I made perhaps the most:hammer2: move I have ever done I sent the settler built in Lisbon unguarde to found Machhu Pichu I foundend and the next turn it was rased by barbs the turn happening after the save. Lesson learnt Never sent settlers unguarded:p

Attached Files:

7. vranasm

vranasm Deity

@caeser

Spoiler :

Too much focus on religions...I wonder how you want to control the spread.
    The cities on the south east peninsula are OK

ah and btw tech order was a bit weird. seeing those gems IW should be big priority.

I made the gem city 1N of rice to get all gems in BFC and eventually plan to move there capital

you didnt that bad, but seeing you have 3 cities at 900BC you should have done better. The tech order will really slow your expansion since you cant chop those gems.

Stonehenge hunt costed you at least 1 more city.
    You didnt scout the middle land + north enough...

8. Caeserportugal

Caeserportugal Prince

Spoiler :
    Continuation of early post.

After discovering Iron working I found out I had two sources one near my capital and one near Lisbon.

Unfortunatly the Persians also have a source in there territory.

So it is 975 BC and there is a shot of my territory.

And the Persian territory.

And here is my civics I forgot to change earlier and adopted Slavery and Org.Religion.

And here is the diplo situation.

Looking here I have made some weed mistakes until now perhaps because it is my first game here on the Noble's club and I was feeling a little bit nervous I will try to see if I can do better in the latter sessions. Some advice would be helpful too.

9. Caeserportugal

Caeserportugal Prince

Spoiler :
    I know I was feeling a little nervous and yeah I shoulnd't have went after stonehenge it cost me perhaps a city that I could use to block Cyrus and Kublai from the peninsula also done a very bad move by sending a settler unguarded and thus lost a city to barbs:(. Yeah I need to scout there. Well Tiwanaku is gonna be a GP farm I am thinking perhaps of either a space vitory or a cultural victory here

10. vranasm

vranasm Deity

Spoiler :

don't be fool...tiwanaku is prime cottage candidate with that many riverside around and gems (sugar is not great food source!).

you can make gp farm at the fish+2x clam spot eastern peninsula

edit:
    for the first GS i would use cap of course...whip there library if you didnt and assign 2 scientists asap.

btw lisbon proved to me like very nice production city...

11. Caeserportugal

Caeserportugal Prince

Spoiler :
    Just to say I have played until around 100 AD Kublai and Hammurabi who founded Judaism are both anoyed with me Cyrus on the other hand is pleased since we share the same religion. I have expanded to six cities with another one coming very soon. I have Confucionism in all my cities except recently founded Humanga. Also burned a barb city that was interfering with my dotmap I had to found Cori though 1 tile E because of Cyrus having founded Tarsus. I am currently backfilling the south while beefing up my defenses to prevent a Mongolian attack. I have finished taching Alphabet - Hunting and Archery from tech trades - Monarchy - Metal Casting - Maths and Construction in this turn. I also got meditation from a trade. Cyrus could trade me sailing though I don't want to give him a good tech for it. Guess I have to research it myself to get Calendar. Cyrus was also busy with wonders building both the Mids and the Temple of Artemis he is also bloced by my borders so he can't expand south.
    I also built more workers advice will be good great I will post some shots later. Vranasm thanks for the advice. I hope I have turned the game on my side thankfully this was Noble those kind of mistakes on Monarch would have cost me the game. My plan is to continue backfilling the south while building an army of Maces I will go towards CS and Machinary after Calendar and take out the Mongolians. I guess forgo the cultural victory. I will see if space is still possible though I am also thinking like you to change my capital to Tiwanaku while building the Forbidden palace in Lisbon.I will post some shots later but here is the save.

Attached Files:

12. vranasm

vranasm Deity

Monarch/Epic 1250 AP victory, not that cheesy as usual

Spoiler :

What to say? from my last report I just teched away, CoL, CS -> Lib->Nat. settled the island to east (3 cities to limit colonial expense) and 1 more island city.
    Moved capital to gems city, made there oxford etc. etc. just genering things.

Seeing the ammount of land (after paper I bought map from germany leading to me getting circumnavigation :-D) I was not in mood for Domination, was considering UN Victory.
    Then Hammurabi built Apostolic Palace in Buddhism. Since I was friend with Mongols and Hammu (yeah I managed to get KK to friendly afterall!) and was dominating population wise the Buddhism i won the "Pope" position.

8 turns later it came the resolution...only 1 option sooo I tried...Since i knew from previous voting that everyone votes for me (even Hammu did if I remember right) I went for my first ever AP victory.

Score is not that bad. I have of course the save turn before if I am in mood to try how fast i can get to MM for UN.

13. dalamb

dalamb Deity

Monarch :eek: Epic, to 2550 BC:
    Spoiler :
    Warrior rush! I attacked Lisbon's one archer with 4 Quechua and lost 1, then attacked Karakorum's 3 with 7 and lost 4 more. Beshbalik didn't cost any Quechua but auto-razed, leaving me a worker. I expect the rush is over -- is it really feasible to take on Cyrus, too? In any case I expect my 3 cities to go into normal development -- workers, fishing boats, terraces -- then leverage FIN and IND. At this point I think Stonehenge might be a lost cause but perhaps Pyramids is in order.

I need more Quechua to spawnbust -- the ones in Mongolia likely need to spawnbust out there -- but I hope I have a short while to build infrastructure first. Anyone know how soon barbarians will enter my territory at Monarch?

The world as I know it:

Statistics. I deduce the "killed" worker is the one I captured.

Demographics: I'm behind in a lot of the numbes but I suspect I'll catch up, even at Monarch, though I'm a little concerned I'm only 2nd in land and my lead in soldiers isn't that much. Not sure if I have the stamina to play this out, but we'll see.

14. GGS

GGS Warlord

Monarch/Epic. 1758 AD. Conquest victory.
    Spoiler :
    New wonders were surprisingly few, for me. The Parthenon, The Hanging Gardens and University of Sankore in Cuzco; the Heroic Epic in Persepolis.

In 1265, after razing Karakorum and rebuilding 1E the economy and the army required a temporary peace. The Incans proved the world to be round but the Babylonians walked the Liberalism race.

The 2nd Mongolian War required the defiance of an AP resolution but when the non-penninsular cities were taken Kublai Khan capitualted in 1390. Hammurabi joined the system in 1455 after losing just one good city.

Bismark spun-off his western holdings to Mao Zedong in 1565 while the home team was building for war.

A major Incan force was poised off Moscow, via a peaceful sail through a northern Russian city. The Russian capital fell in 1605 and the deal was sealed with the massacre of a massive Russian relief force in 1635 which caused Stalin's capitulation. The result was a third Great General and a 15 turn Golden Age in 1660 as Moscow had the Mausoleum of Maussolla.

With riflemen and cannons finally available The German War commenced in 1708. The nine-wonder Berlin was burned to the ground in 1712 and the slugfest continued at length until the successful conclusion.

Huayna Capac may be the best leader for the Prince to Monarch leap but...
    Spoiler :
    ...the initial position of the Portugese and Persians proved to be crucial.

dalamb. Thank you for another interesting game.

15. dalamb

dalamb Deity

@ggs:
    Spoiler :
    Since I wanted to encourage people to try a step up to Monarch, I cooked the positioning of Joao. Cyrus was in his original position.