1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

NC LXVIII: Zara Yaqob of Ethiopia

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by dalamb, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Capellan

Capellan Is this thing on?

@A_Hamster
    780 AD
    Spoiler :

You have enough troops - you don't need that archer in Lalibela :)

You're now working some unimproved tiles (though you do seem to have more or less enough workers for your city count). That's something on which to focus.

Danelius90 gave good advice already. Right now, I'd consider building wealth in some cities and pumping the slider up. You can easily get CoL down to 4 turns, from the current 18, and courthouses would be a huge boon to you.

2. Danelius90

Danelius90 Hunter (of vegetables)

@A_Hamster
    Spoiler :
    re the save, I have patch 3.19, I was using the BULL dll at the time, maybe that affects it... Anyone else mind checking if my saves loads for you?

3. Deonnim

Deonnim Chieftain

@Danielus90

Spoiler :

I was able to open up your save this morning, but I have BUFFY & BUG installed, so that may have something to do with it.

4. Nicol.Bolas

Nicol.Bolas Prince

glad to see you didnt give up and even win
    so how usefull my advice
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=412437&page=5

was? it was the first time I analyzed someones save.

5. Deonnim

Deonnim Chieftain

@Nicol.Bolas

Your help was immensely helpful. I basically followed it almost exactly, there were a few things I changed around while I was in the middle of playing because it seemed to flow better with how things were going.

I honestly could have done a much better job on the whole game, but I am a sloppy player at times. I tend to focus randomly on things, and everything else just falls apart. My next goal is to play another Noble game and shorten my play time down, I can't be spending 20 hours on a game, I'll never learn that way. I just don't know who to pick as my next leader.

6. TheDanish

TheDanish Prince

Picking this up. Prince/Normal/No Events/No Huts

Spoiler :
    Moved scout one NW, SiP, Worker first with Agriculture.

7. Nicol.Bolas

Nicol.Bolas Prince

there is a speed guide:
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=301900

but I think if you are struggling on noble, it´s too early for it. it expects a lot of automation, but at this stage, you really should think about each build and each worker action.
    he himself warns, that first you must learn, then speed up. and also have fun.
    I sometime play a map long and it's ok and fun. You can learn that way too, opposed to quickly repeating same mistakes and never trying anything new.

I myself have recently moved up to prince, and so far it´s ok: I have really improved my city specialization skills, GP management, beelining, diplomacy.

I have played about 20 completely random maps, no reloading, to move up.

on prince I will be changing this: I will be playing the previous Nclub games, and also random maps, but not only fractal.
    I won´t do random leaders, I will randomly handpick them myself, since random can give you repeat leaders, and I don´t want that.

8. TheDanish

TheDanish Prince

1000 BC

Spoiler :
    I prepped a stack of Axemen as soon as I saw Carthage was nearby. Hannibal went down very easily, so their capital is now mine. It should make a nice GP farm.

Settled Gondor southeast of my capital as a production site, and my fourth city went down north of my capital to grab a few extra resources. I'm going to let my economy recover before I continue expanding, though Toku seems intent on pushing south, so I may have to speed up my timetable.

Civ4ScreenShot0012.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0013.JPG

9. A_Hamster

A_Hamster Small Furry Animal

That must be it, I'm using straight BtS 3.19.

Anyway, I'm taking your advice and Capellan's.
    Spoiler :

Building Wealth to get to CoL faster. Have decided to go war with Toku in the mid-game and accept the risk of LB and Samurai. Even if I can't afford to keep his cities, I can sack them, and it is easier to take barb cities than AI cities, especially an AI like Toku. Need siege, so have to start that after Calendar.

De Gaulle will probably settle the ruins, so I'll have to get ready for that. We'll see what happens for the 1200 AD report. Need to wrap this game up since the Bismarck game goes up Friday.

Thank you both for taking the time to check the saves and offer advice. The city placement is relevant. Looking at an offline game I was playing, I had nine cities on a Hub map: the AIs typically packed 50% more into that same space or less. Now some of those AI cities weren't worth placing, but having a few more cities in my area would have helped. (I won by Space, but I had been planning to go to war. It never happened since I was always behind the unit curve numerically because I couldn't produce enough with nine cities. Then we all got to Defensive alliances, and there wasn't any point. The 5 Confucian AIs were about on par with the two Jewish AIs and myself, the founder of Judaism, so no one dared start a war.) Basically, need more cities for more unit production.and my present city placement prohibits that in all my games.

Don't know if I can have a 1200 AD report for tonight, but I should have one for tomorrow.

10. popalopa

popalopa Chieftain

I played this game a lot of time...
    Spoiler :
    The first time I won cultural victory after taking out the guys on my continent pretty fast... Though the game started the 100 turns countdown around 1790... I was really surprised....
    The second time, I wanted to win faster or maybe go for another victory as I tend to go for cultural when on "naval" maps cause I don't like waring on seas... But I struggled a lot... Everyone was doing everything faster than me.... I let De Gaulle build the interesting wonders, thinking I could take them after all but it didn't work that way :(

Anyway I was wondering, if you have the colossus, is it worth to go for Astronomy and have foreign trade or is it better to keep it to yourself?

11. vhhawk

vhhawk Warlord

Spoiler :
    Wish I'd been that fast re Hannibal. He had 3 cities and hooked up iron just as I went after him.

500BC:
    Spoiler :
    My early game was rapid expansion to procure resources and block Hannibal and Toku. Haven't found the French yet. Built the Pyramids and started Great Lighthouse for the fail gold. Failed and got the gold.

1AD:
    Spoiler :
    Suddenly occurred to me to chariot rush Hannibal when I saw his nearest city was defended only by two archers. Took out his two satellite cities quickly. But he had a sword in his capital before I could pillage his iron. I'm outside his city now looking at the blasted walls he just put up. With four bows and the sword defending it. Gonna be bloody, but I'm cranking out chariots faster than he is spiffing archers.

And man, old habits die hard. I've always just eyeballed city locations, primarily for defense, blocking, and resources. I'd never sat down and run the numbers on +Food on the city site to use as a yardstick to specialize the city. I did that last night for the first time, after my initial REX was done, unfortunately, and discovered that my city sites are pretty darn dismal. Never really had a proactive plan for growth and specialization. From now on I'm working the numbers before I sit a settler down.

12. TheDanish

TheDanish Prince

@ vhhawk

Spoiler :
    I don't know what difficulty you play on, but I play Prince and as soon as I saw he was close enough to rush, I dropped everything else, hooked up that copper, and chopped five axes. I didn't even need that many, he had something like three defending warriors.

13. A_Hamster

A_Hamster Small Furry Animal

Went faster than expected.
    Spoiler :

860 AD: Founded Debre Berhan on the "no jungle" sign. Trying to block Toku.
    Spoiler :

1000 AD: Found Adulis, potential production point near capital, although lack of food and no CS means it will grow slowly.
    Spoiler :

1010 AD: De Gaulle builds the AP in Orleans, is voted in as Resident next turn.

1090 AD: GS pops in Carthage, Academy built in same. (Could have popped Compass instead - should I have bulbed, then traded?)

1100 AD: Toku culture bombs Izumo to the west of Debre Berhan, costing it much territory. SoZ built in Kyoto. Blast!

1120 AD: AP votes Debre Berhan to Toku. Damnation!

1200 AD: Top of turn. Am planning war. Kyoto is full of shinies, and the annoying SoZ. Toku is weaker than me. I can build catapults and Elephants and am researching Engineering. Have not gone to Caste System since I need to whip in infrastructure.
    Cities in 1200 AD
    Spoiler :

Economy
    Spoiler :

Civics
    Spoiler :

Power Graph
    Spoiler :

Have to call it a night. Up at 6 AM and off to work. Employment keeps getting in the way of playing BtS! :mad:

Attached Files:

14. kalidude

kalidude Armchair Private

Prince/Normal, no huts or events, Perm Alliances on
    SIP, explorer went NW because it looked like there was tundra to the S (just looking at edges of the fog), so I assumed I was probably near the south pole.
    1280BC:
    Spoiler :
    Having recently taken Carthage for myself, eliminating Hannibal in the process, I am now trying to figure out my tech priority. I haven't played in quite a while and I remember I used to always beeline aesthetics for trade bait then go math and then try for music while waiting for someone to trade me for alpha. I also remembered I was always behind in monarchy and I thought this time instead of completely neglecting mysticism I would research it instead of trading- seems to make more sense to trade for the techs that take longer to research. Initial tech order was BW->AG->TW->pottery->writing

De Gualle and Toku are to my north and it looks like it's just the 3 of us on the continent together. The diplomacy is going to be tricky for me on this one. Maybe I can gift toku a mud city in that southern tundra to make up for attacking his bff Hannibal, which he is holding against me. At least with Toku, I pretty much know he's going to attack me at some point. DeGualle is a real wildcard though. I'll just assume they both are going to attack, probably at the same time.

Thanks to building several extra axemen in the buildup to stomping Hannibal, I don't need to build too many units for the time being. We all are at 2 cities a piece, and I have a settler coming in about 3 turns. Toku has settled in my direction, so I will need to prioritize establishing a northern border that gives me plenty of room to expand. Frenchie and I have open borders but the look in his eye tells me he'll try to seduce my wife and slip ricin in my wine the minute I look away. I would like to grab at least one of those elephants between me and France but I think that would require spreading my cities out too much considering our respective proximities to said square.

I'm trying to beeline to the Oracle since it isn't built yet, but as I'm behind on that part of the tech tree I'll be really surprised if I get it. If I did I would probably take Aesthetics. I'd also like to not be the last to get Monarchy this game since I have wine near my capitol and I already own the square. Early happiness means faster expansion/ better economy.

Sorry if my post looks like the ravings of a madman with 3rd grade sentence structure, loads of run-on sentences, and a mix of different ideas with no flow whatsoever. I've got a cold and am off to bed after this post.

15. Nicol.Bolas

Nicol.Bolas Prince

how do you play on prince? do you use the monarch or the noble save?

16. dalamb

dalamb Deity

Use the Noble save, and select Prince difficulty in Custom Scenario. The AI's production and research bonuses come from the difficulty setting on that menu; the save file controls what technologies the AI starts with. So you use the Noble save for everything below Monarch, since Monarch is the lowest difficulty where the AI starts with a bonus tech (Archery).

17. Nicol.Bolas

Nicol.Bolas Prince

last time i used the monarch save, it would be best if they would just provide the prince save...... kinda logical step for series meant for noble players.

i dont want it easire then "real" prince"...

18. Danelius90

Danelius90 Hunter (of vegetables)

Basically, there's no difference in the noble or prince save mapwise. The only difference is the AI will tech quicker as dalamb said, because that's due to the difficulty level, not the WB save.
    However on the monarch save, all the AI start with an archer (extra) and archery tech so to play "proper" monarch the AIs all need this bonus. If you loaded the noble save and set it to monarch, the AI would tech at monarch rate but begin at noble level, if you get what I mean.
    And going up the levels they get even more units

19. TheDanish

TheDanish Prince

~1800 AD

Spoiler :
    Once I had conquered most of Japan's cities, I realized that I had accidentally checked No Vassal States instead of No Events. Oops! At this point I have taken most of the continent and cut France (the next highest scoring civ) in half, and I decided to stop here. Without Vassal opportunities, conquering the world will be much more tedious. I have no doubts that I could do it, given my large army and tech lead (I'm researching Assembly Line), but it'd be a hassle. The game's pretty much in the bag.

Civ4ScreenShot0014.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0015.JPG

20. kalidude

kalidude Armchair Private

Well you won't always get ideal locations for all of your cities. Sometimes it is better to block land or grab resources than settle a city that will be able to work all of its tiles eventually. At least that's what I've gleaned from these forums, but I am by no means an expert.