NDNESVI(Reboot): Myths, Legends, and Gods

Decided things are getting a little unbalanced. Chi was my Major Action, yet at this rate Chi users are going to have less overall impact on the world (which is far more important in my view than the impact of an individual user) than blood mages or ordinary mages.

Just so that nobody misses it, I'm re-editing my turn to drastically reduce the requirements to possess Chi in the first place in order to even up the scales. Now, everybody has at least a little Chi making the impact of it fairer, but those with great Chi can do greater things. Chi also gives some degree of immunity to other powers at extreme levels, but a Chi user is still overall weaker to make up for the fact there are more of them.

The Yinshung I am also re-editing. Now, being a Yinshung can, in principle, happen to any race. The details are also going to drastically change.

EDIT: Re-editing done. I'll try to get a minimum of one story to add to the Fluff done today.

so what if

someone used all three

You mean the various forms of magic? I expect they could fight with gods. I have some later update plans as well.

Agreed that it would be interesting. The first such hero could be a story in their own right.

But I should point out that being a great Chi user has the disadvantage of very strong emotions, which would impair their judgement. Being a great Blood Magic user begs the question of where you get your blood magic sources. Such a character would not be without their weak points.

Alright everyone, since it appears we have a decent number of players for our first update, I am going to say Sunday, June 5th is the deadline for all entries and tweaks to your entries. If you need any extra time, let me know and I will try to be as accommodating as possible :)

But I should point out that being a great Chi user has the disadvantage of very strong emotions, which would impair their judgement. Being a great Blood Magic user begs the question of where you get your blood magic sources. Such a character would not be without their weak points.

Sounds to me like a dangerously unbalanced demonic mortal.

But a mortal nonetheless.

And history has taught us the greatest weapon against the mad is fear. And it is the word of Rüla that will truly tear down the creations of the puny and sane gods who dwell in light...

And whose screams will echo forever throughout the dark.

:lol:

Is it me or the only physical land created was frozen tundra?

Technically, I "created" a bunch of barren land when I boiled a bunch of the seas away, which others can use. Loads of people claimed mountains. Otherwise, yeah.

I created forests, dark forests for spiders to live in.

Maybe I should specify that in the post, will edit.

Decided things are getting a little unbalanced. Chi was my Major Action, yet at this rate Chi users are going to have less overall impact on the world (which is far more important in my view than the impact of an individual user) than blood mages or ordinary mages.

Just so that nobody misses it, I'm re-editing my turn to drastically reduce the requirements to possess Chi in the first place in order to even up the scales. Now, everybody has at least a little Chi making the impact of it fairer, but those with great Chi can do greater things. Chi also gives some degree of immunity to other powers at extreme levels, but a Chi user is still overall weaker to make up for the fact there are more of them.

The Yinshung I am also re-editing. Now, being a Yinshung can, in principle, happen to any race. The details are also going to drastically change.

EDIT: Re-editing done. I'll try to get a minimum of one story to add to the Fluff done today.

I can't speak for other magics, but I noticed a couple big differences between Chi and blood magic (correct any false assumptions I may make):

1) Blood magic requires sacrifices to funnel its energies. A single sacrifice may be enough to slay another (paying one life to take another sort of thing), but more powerful rituals require many more sacrifices to be successful. Blood magic can only begin to match the power of Chi when hundreds of people are sacrificed to channel their energies, and even then they must be sacrificed almost simultaneously -- and such a ritual would only bless one person with powers comparable to Chi. Another problem is that of logistics: a sacrifice must be made when you intend for the spell to be cast, and cannot be made very far in advance, meaning that a blood sorcerer must always have sacrifices on hand to channel his magics.

2) Blood magic is unmistakably evil. Not many people would be content with the notion that blood sorcerers are kidnapping young girls and virgins to fuel their magics. Hence the group is organized as a secretive cult, and if too many kidnappings are made in a local area they may attract unwanted attention.

Welcome back Dread! :D

Thank you!

what if you used bandits or elephants

I can't speak for other magics, but I noticed a couple big differences between Chi and blood magic (correct any false assumptions I may make):

1) Blood magic requires sacrifices to funnel its energies. A single sacrifice may be enough to slay another (paying one life to take another sort of thing), but more powerful rituals require many more sacrifices to be successful. Blood magic can only begin to match the power of Chi when hundreds of people are sacrificed to channel their energies, and even then they must be sacrificed almost simultaneously -- and such a ritual would only bless one person with powers comparable to Chi. Another problem is that of logistics: a sacrifice must be made when you intend for the spell to be cast, and cannot be made very far in advance, meaning that a blood sorcerer must always have sacrifices on hand to channel his magics.

2) Blood magic is unmistakably evil. Not many people would be content with the notion that blood sorcerers are kidnapping young girls and virgins to fuel their magics. Hence the group is organized as a secretive cult, and if too many kidnappings are made in a local area they may attract unwanted attention.

Thank you!

As long I can take for granted that that's Ninja Dude's interpretation, reverting my change now sounds like a serious consideration.

Out of curiosity, would anyone prefer the old version of Chi or the new version in particular? Basically, that would be where Chi was just something for extraordinary people, and the threshold of emotion to have chi is emotions about on the level of a human whose family has been murdered and wants revenge.

I'm thinking whether to change back or not, and while I'm now willing to do it I'm curious what others would want? If I do change back, I'll switch creating Chi to my Minor Action, scrap the Cult, and create a new Major Action. As I've outlined in spoilers by my original post, I have a plan for a new land called Imperia that will be Patron's domain.

------------------

EDIT: My plans are now a lot more complicated. Since I don't have a strong preference one way or the other, I will either keep my orders as is OR delete Yinshung, make Chi my minor action and only for an extraordinary few, and make a new Major action depending on what others would prefer.

I've given up on any writing for the moment.

Before earth, there was the water.

Before life, there was the storm.

Before man, before the gods, there was the Sea.

Immortal, unyielding, almighty. She was the beginning of all things without an end. She was the gentlest wave and the mightiest storm, dancing together in gentle rhythm. She was chaos and order in flawless harmony. She was perfection. She was paradise.

And through your ignorance, you tore Her apart. Burned Her away in a fit of blind power.

Through Her pain, you undid it all. You destroyed paradise. And from that destruction, I was created.

I am the guardian of the ocean. I am the maiden of storms.

And through my strength, no harm shall befall the seas again.

Harika, the Goddess of Sea and Storms, was born of the sea when the sun boiled away the ocean to make land. She traditionally appears as a warrior maiden fully clad in metallic blue eastern-style armor, armed with the Naginata of Winds, a mystical weapon that gives the user control over the storms. Despite being something of a firebrand, Harika rarely deals with the affairs of land dwellers, preferring to limit her activities to the protection of the waters and those that dwell within it. She isn't above sending a tsunami to smite anyone who affronts her, though.

Major Action: Harika will create a massive perpetual storm, farthest from any landmass and as large as the tallest mountain, that will fill the world with the winds and rain that were dispersed from the actions of the sun. This storm will reside over and around her undersea palace, and no one will be able to enter the storm unscathed without the goddess' favor.

Minor Action: Harika may be the goddess of the sea, but those who dwell on land will be reminded that they are not out of her grasp. To that end, she will take humans who respect the seas and give them fins and scales, allowing them to live in the oceans and lakes as they once lived on the land. These men of the seas will be known as the Typhans.

Minor Action: Reinforce the other two for now, since those are pretty major. :p

Fuku
God of curses
(also shadowy sinister things)

The first mention of fuku comes in the writings of peoples conquered by the Empire that spanned a continent, as a way of explaining what had happened to them. The disease that ravaged their people was fuku. The weapons the intruders brought, so unlike anything they'd ever seen before was fuku. The political turmoil that allowed these invaders to access local help was fuku. Basically fuku was used as a term to collectively refer to the elements that made imperial conquest possible. Literally translated it means "fate" although "curse" would be a more accurate translation. Anyways, what initially referred to the curse of the empire on its subject peoples later seeped into the general language and ideas of the populace. Now fuku could refer to one's misfortune in their love life. It can refer to feudalism and rigidity of the power structure.
After the eventual conversion of conquered people's to some form of the imperial faith, fuku became a god in the newly introduced pantheon, as many missionaries who came from an imperial back ground, could not understand the concept of fuku and assumed it to be some sort of god. He was never a major god in any of the conquered people's pantheon no matter what word they used for him. He had no temples, had no priests dedicated to his worship, for what use did people have for a curse? Into him was folded other negative gods like chaos and despair. Then during the decline of the Empire, when barbarian waves sapped imperial manpower, disastrous storms harmed trade and the breakdown of imperial authority in the face of civil wars, the Imperial elite was forced to grant more rights to locals and local authority increased. And quietly the people whispered "Fuku has descended on the empire". And so temples were dedicated to him as the savior of the people and their autonomy. His role was also greatly expanded. He became a patron of thieves and other figures considered curses upon polite society, and with this, he became the god of collusion and treachery and betrayal and all manners of shadowy sinister things.

Currently: He is envisioned as an invisible mist throughout lands where belief in him is held, that indirectly causes misfortunes. Sometimes he might be more present near a place or a person in which case he causes curses. And then sometimes he can materialize in a location due to the density of the mist, and play a more active role. Thus he is most often reported being seen in paces with great curses, such as the site of genocides, or the lands of an unjust king. He can with great focus, keep himself together and go elsewhere, but it requires effort on his part, and he prefers to work through agents imbued with his power.

How he works: He is a god to be feared, respected and venerated though few love him. He can be called upon to lift curses, although he more often than not places them as means of punishment and teaching.

Personality: A sardonic man, with a dry wit and an easy smile, he loves theatrics, and when he personally places a curse (as he did on the king who salted a city and sold its people as slaves for a minor crime) he does so with theatrical relish and makes the punishment fit the crime (the king for his petty vengeance was cursed so that his heart would grow smaller and smaller, until it became too small to support the body and the king died of lack of oxygen). He is not without a sense of justice and will sometimes visit retribution through curses, but this is only for those people would expect better from. For example, he will patron thieves and punish kings because of what he expects from both are different.

Major action: create a book of secrets. And I mean all the secrets. So the average human will be flipping through the book trying to find the secret they want, and find like a hundred about how the butcher is having an affair with the baker's wife (trivial to you but not the baker) or some trivial thing like that.
Minor action: Sprout a temple from an area there has been a great curse.
Spoiler :

Minor action: Imbue a follower with power to place a curse on a man that has been too arrogant and teach him a lesson.

Top Bottom