NDNESVI(Reboot): Myths, Legends, and Gods

Nyubar:

First and foremost, in his madness, Nyubar seeks to help protect the people from the fell creatures that roam the land. OBVIOUSLY the best way to do that is to give the opportunity for humanity to fly HIGH above the land, which has become the domain of creepies. As such, Nyubar will create immense and infinite veins of a material called floatstone. This is an amber, semi-transloucent, dense material that is completely immobile and impossible to move... with kinetic energy. Pushing it, lifting it... nothing works. However, floatstone, with the application of heat, light, or magical energy, floatstone will lift off, floating high above the ground. Even sunlight will do, or torchlight, though magical energy provides the most lift. Properly mounted, a chunk of floatstone the size of a person's head could power and lift a ship, while larger chunks could well allow for enormous floating metropolises. (though, in and of itself floatstone does not provide momentum, other means will need to be found.)

Nyubar himself will travel around the land like a divine rafiki, sending souls past the last gate and whacking evil over the head with his staff.

Cultures:

Pillarmen: The Pillarmen have chosen to make use of floatstone in a unique way. Rather than building floating cities, they have chosen instead to build vast vertical cities, attached to the ground, but towering high into the air in a way that regular building materials could not allow without the benefit of floatstone. This allows them to take advantage of a particular georgraphic feature (mine, river, harbor, something.) Usually, there is a hierarchy, where the most affluent live miles into the air, providing protection from the vile creepy crawlies, while the poorer folk live only a few hundred feet above ground.

Floating Cities (DUH): Vast Metropolises have taken to the air, protected and isolated. The cultures therein, naturally, depend strongly on their original culture. However, they likely diverge relatively quickly.

Freefolk/Homesteaders: Not everyone choses to live in a city or on a ship. Some people lay claim to one of the thousands of floating rocks, building a farm, or a mine, or something on it's mass. Some even use these rocks as a base for pirate armadas haranguing air and sea traffic.

And so begins industrial slavery of Chromarchs in a Jar, the perfect, unflickering, unflinching powersource for your float stone creations. Charge it with few hours of sunlight, retrieve power all night long :(

That said, consensual use of Chromarchs in Industry in the Quorum expands rapidly, as now a single chromarch, with a float stone assist, can lift many pounds, where before a chromarch would be hard pressed to lift more than a single brick.

EDIT:

Cap'n Eyepatch 'n His Merry Crew!

Cap'n Eyepatch is a Chomatai wearing an eyepatch! Ahoy! He and his merry crew mutinied from the Choral Quorum in a floatstone ship! Arrrr! He is a pirate of the high skies! Whoa! Beware the stare of Cap'n Eyepatch! Rawr!

EDIT:

Cap'n Eyepath always talks about himself in third person! Yarrr! He always ends his sentances with an appropriate interjection! Ahoy! 'Cause it's unique and intimidating! Yah?

OOC: Floatstone is going to be a scourge. The potential of a material that has stupendous inertia, rises when struck by sunlight, and then falls when shaded is stupendous. I foresee giant pulverizing masses of rubble, scouring the surface of the world on a daily cycle.

I can't wait to see it in action. ;)

So how does it work? Is de-powered floatstone truly immobile (that is, anchored to some arbitrary coordinate) or is it just stupendously heavy and difficult to move? When it becomes illuminated or otherwise empowered, it flies into the sky, but what about when the power source disappears? Does it anchor itself, suspended in the air, or does it fall? If the former, what stops it from turning into a perpetually-accelerating mass racing towards the center of heaven? If the latter, I guess that would have to be consistent with the 'very hard to move' hypothesis, rather than the 'absolutely immobile' hypothesis. And if it is really absolutely immobile, it would be a building material of incredible potential, entirely indestructible so long as it is isolated from energy sources.

Anyways, I can't wait to work out the fusology of this exciting new material!

OOC: The real question I have is whether it becomes trivial to laterally move mechanical once it's floated -- otherwise you can't really use it for airships. It's a really cool idea, though, and I might join using a culture based on it...

OOC: So it is inert until activated? Wouldn't it get activated below the surface due to the heat and pressure present there? Also, wouldn't it make the world's crust totally inflexible? Or is the immobility feature also not present before it's been activated?

OOC: I... I thought things get LESS dense below the surface?

And yeah, if it works how I think it works, I think that's how "natural" floating islands/continents formed. A few months of frightening earth quakes and chunks of rock essentially succeeding from the rest of creation, propelled by heat-activated floatstone. Thanks, Crazy'd Nyubar!

I dunno? How extensive are the deposits?

Probably present. Probably.

Good job Crazy'd Nyubar.

From the perspective of a native of the material plane, matter get hotter and denser the further you go down. From the perspective of something observing reality from outside of reality, reality gets more fragmented and lower-density the further out you are.

For a metaphor, imagine a piece of paper. If you make a bunch of zig-zag cuts in the paper, alternating the sides from which the cuts originate, you can stretch the piece of paper much further than its original length. Material beings live in the paper, and can't see the open areas in the paper, to them it seems just the same as it was before. But outsider beings, things that are observing from higher dimensions or from outside of reality, can see that there are gaps in the paper.

THIS is my fault for writing this out at work on my phone :(

Can I just say a Wizard did it?

OOC: Floatstone is going to be a scourge. The potential of a material that has stupendous inertia, rises when struck by sunlight, and then falls when shaded is stupendous. I foresee giant pulverizing masses of rubble, scouring the surface of the world on a daily cycle.

I can't wait to see it in action. ;)

So how does it work? Is de-powered floatstone truly immobile (that is, anchored to some arbitrary coordinate) or is it just stupendously heavy and difficult to move? When it becomes illuminated or otherwise empowered, it flies into the sky, but what about when the power source disappears? Does it anchor itself, suspended in the air, or does it fall? If the former, what stops it from turning into a perpetually-accelerating mass racing towards the center of heaven? If the latter, I guess that would have to be consistent with the 'very hard to move' hypothesis, rather than the 'absolutely immobile' hypothesis. And if it is really absolutely immobile, it would be a building material of incredible potential, entirely indestructible so long as it is isolated from energy sources.

Anyways, I can't wait to work out the fusology of this exciting new material!

Well, honestly, I can't really picture a scenario where a chunk of floatstone in the air is removed from all potential fuel... though for the sake of this, in the DARKEST of nights, I'd imagine that the stone slowly drifts towards the ground as light fades?

THIS is actually a good point. Maybe the "flight potential" of the stone is dependent on how much energy is applied?

I had also pictured, yeah, people building fortresses with walls of Floatstone core.

OOC: The real question I have is whether it becomes trivial to laterally move mechanical once it's floated -- otherwise you can't really use it for airships. It's a really cool idea, though, and I might join using a culture based on it...

I imagined it, once it's activated, to be trivial, yes, to move. Hence why it's useful as the core of an airship.

OOC: Apparently, they are no longer spatially locked from kinetic energy influence once activated.

Yeah.

OOC: Okay, so floatstone doesn't suddenly turn on or off... rather, it acts a bit like a rechargeable battery. Applying light/heat/magic to it gradually makes it float more, and isolating it from power causes it to float less, eventually gaining negative buoyancy and falling back to earth.

The issue here is that floatstone, once it gets into the air, will just rocket off into the heavens. Maybe this is what usually happens, unless the floatstone is mixed with other rock, resulting in neutral buoyancy.

The idea that it is very hard to totally de-power floatstone is interesting. So is it a bit like a very hard to reverse change, when it is first empowered? Its properties change once it is exposed a combination of light and heat, or to certain types of magic? I imagine you wouldn't want it being able to activate deep beneath the earth.

Now to the matter of it being immobile. In what sense is it immobile? Is it just very hard to move, or is it anchored to an arbitrary single point, or to some 'master floatstone'? Does it possess that trait before ever being empowered? Does it regain that trait when de-powered?

Thanks for dealing with my battery of questions!

I'd imagine that immobile is a hyperbole?

I'd imagine SOME of it, at least, get's powered while underground, first introducing humanity to it by suddenly (though relatively slowly, so it doesn't end up killing thousands) launching islands into the air.

That being said, though, there MUST be a height limit. Maybe a function of Energy applied vs mass/size of the rock? so, a big city would only slowly change heights without having something really powerful pumping it full of power, whereas it'd take much less to change the altitude of a ship.

The height limit is the horizon, right? The boundary between the earth and the heavens? Considering the heavens are in the middle and the earth is around them?

POINT I: Ambient magic is always present via the redistributive effect of the ley-network. Hence floatstone, activating in the presence of magic (as well as other sources of energy) would presumably never completely be devoid of charge. This being the case the surface of the world would avoid being scoured into a barren waste even in total darkness.

POINT II: With regards to an altitude maximum, and the "immobile" properties of the stone. A reasonable solution would be to presume that drawing upon magical energy tethers the stone to the ley network (to the degree that it supplies a constant source of energy for a given stone) and hence there is a certain maximum distance toward [HEAVEN] that the stone can proceed before it can't go any further (absent another source of energy) as it moves more distant from the energy network that serves as power supply. [with regards to light, Tai's advent is periodic and hence insufficient to exceed the limit ipso facto any excess power is counter-balanced by the loss of power in the form of heat and light during the night, so one should think. Space in heaven is also compacted, so presumably it takes a lot more energy (or divine intervention) to float things around in that space than it does to move about closer to surface]

So far I have orders/cultures/anything from:

Terrance, Jehoshua, Iggy, Oruc, thomas, and Seon. Props to you guys for being on time.

Everyone else, get to it :whipped:

In transit, orders will be late, very sorry.

Top Bottom