1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Need advise for 1st Demi game

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by mnhockey, Apr 24, 2009.

1. mnhockey

mnhockey Chieftain

Well, decided to try Demi, and went with Persia, continent,everything standard but no Barbs(sure it makes it a little wimpy). Got a great start city, and my 2nd city had Ivory, so of course started thinking T of Z. Set research for Iron, but traded for Alphabet 1 turn before it came up and switched to Writing-Phil. Got to Phil 1st and got a GL out of it. I will get the GLib with that and I used one of my free techs on Math so I am going for Zues. I could do moderate warfare to take some cities from Civs around me and build up my infrastructue to prepare for the GLib becoming obsolete, but can you keep up with the AI techwise at this lvl? 2nd option is AW. Turn research to zero, build hordes of warriors after putting barracks in cities, then connect ot my iron. Should have enough cash to convert to Immortals, and T of Z should be producing by then. Which way would you experienced vets at this level go?(and would you build cats etc. to go with Immortals and ACalv, or just let them hit on their own?)

2. ville-v

ville-v Chieftain

Build catapults, accompany them with immortals and spearmen and attack (20 immortals, 10 spearmen and 30 catapults should be able to take any city the enemy has at that time). Use ancient cavalry to kill units entering your own territory and to capture workers during first turns of war. Take techs for peace treaty.

When great library becomes obsolete, you should've built libraries. Build universities, too, and buy invention or gunpowder or chemistry if somebody has it. Build knights, research up to military tradition and upgrade knights (try to capture leonardo's workshop before that). Make lots of cavalry armies and destroy everybody.

Edit: You may choose to delay golden age (and attack) until great library becomes obsolete).

3. Spoonwood

Spoonwood Grand Philosopher

You definitely can keep up with the AIs in tech at this level and at Deity also if you know how to pick the right tech... most of the time. Sid level gets much harder.

4. TheOverseer714

TheOverseer714 Overseer

If the Warrior to Immortal upgrade is what you are planning, do it after getting into a better government so your Golden Age is not despotic. Also, make sure your income will support tons of upgrades. Having Leonardo's would help alot, but it would mean your Immortal rush might be facing Pikes. Your window will be tight, but done right, you can own your Continent. Hopefully you get the advanced continent, otherwise someone on the other continent will get Leos