1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Need another reason to hate WMG?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Thorvald of Lym, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Thorvald of Lym

Thorvald of Lym A Little Sketchy

They own the copyright to the Happy Birthday song, and aren't afraid to flex it.

From arstechnica.com

Further details and the lawsuit submission can be read here.

I gather that copyright in the music industry is already largely rent-seeking, but I am utterly astounded by this.

Although it does explain why, despite being such an iconic song, I've almost never heard it in film or television...

2. SamSniped

SamSniped DJ Goodboye

Just a bit absurd? -.-

3. JohannaK

JohannaK Heroically Clueless

Long live Warner. :love:

4. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

I hope this somehow results in WMG getting all of their copyright nullified.

5. kramerfan86

kramerfan86 Deity

The various RIAA labels are a joke, their own incompetence and failure to adapt to the times is ignored and instead they desperately lash out through the courts to recoup falling sales.

6. ReindeerThistle

ReindeerThistle Zimmerwald Left

We sing the Beatles' Birthday Song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHRMX9Brq0s

Much cooler.
    Sent via mobile; apologies for any mistakes.

7. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

The Happy Birthday song is actually a song that was written a couple decades earlier (IIRC, could have time timespan wrong), with the lyrics replaced. The people holding the copyright don't really have any legitimate claim to have written it. These intellectual property extension things are just rich people patting themselves on and scratching eachothers' backs. It's not good for innovation and it's not good for America

8. Terxpahseyton

Terxpahseyton One

I think we all know that and agree with you. And I bet the same pretty much applies to the American people. Yet nothing happens. I suppose it is because it is a democracy.

9. aelf

aelf Ashen One

10. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

The song used in the SCA is a lot more fun (if a bit depressing). You get to pound your fist on the table, while singing about burning, pillaging, looting, and dying... :crazyeye:

11. danjuno

danjuno Emperor

I've heard that Copyright can be expanded until 70 years after the owner's death (but don't quote me on that), while patents go for ~20 years and are nonrenewable. If anything, copyrights should expire sooner than patents, because songs and movies can fall out of relevance much quicker than physical products.

12. AlpsStranger

AlpsStranger Jump jump on the tiger!

While we definitely need something a lot like copyright law ( and I'm simply going to ignore anyone naive enough to entirely deny this ) I think it clearly isn't "working as intended." It should protect and reward innovation, not provide endless perks based on weird technicalities and gimmicks.

13. Antilogic

Antilogic --

It's also why restaurants have their own happy birthday tunes, because otherwise they are risking a similar lawsuit.

Those numbers sound about right, although patents can be complicated because you have the traditional patents that we think of when hearing the word and now you have "design patents" that are more like super-protected service- and trade-marks. Like Apple's rounded corners on their iPhones, which they sued Samsung over--that mostly fell under a design patent claim, if I remember the case correctly.

We desperately need some pushback against the garbage that passes for copyright laws in the US. I'm looking forward to hearing how the lawsuit progresses.

14. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

This only serves to confirm that WMG is dildos.

15. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

I think that is about accurate. I have no idea why it's till 70 years after the owner's death, other than greediness on the part of whoever inherits them after the owner's death. You really don't need to keep the copyright on something after you're six feet under. I agree that the term should be much shorter. How long exactly can be debated.

I also think the patent system is way too general in the U.S. My top two revisions would be requiring that you are actively selling or developing a product to be able to sue for patent enforcement (thus eliminating most/all patent trolls), and disallowing overly general patents such as patenting rounded rectangles and a method for exercising a cat. Beyond that, I'd probably disallow patenting ideas without a product, and patenting things that are naturally occuring in nature. I'm also against being able to require royalties for planting seeds that came from a plant you grew. Charging more for GMO seeds the first time you buy them makes sense, but doing that for years on end when the farmer's not actually buying any seeds from you doesn't.

16. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

They keep extending that "70 years" or "lifetime of creator" thing because every time a certain number of songs get close to falling into public domain, the holders of those certain copyrights, who are filthy rich and have a lot of influence, "convince" lawmakers to extend it even further. It's a big joke at this point

17. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

18. Thorvald of Lym

Thorvald of Lym A Little Sketchy

[youtube=300]oTB46FJOF5w[/youtube]

Link to video.

19. trader/warrior

trader/warrior Deity

A sensible ruling on copyright law?! :eek:

I always just sang Hapi Berth Dey instead.

Link to video.

20. Ice_Tyrant

Ice_Tyrant Prince

I remember watching this japanese show from a few years ago back in March, Kamen Rider OOO. Birth was a theme in the series (apparently) and the song played in the show quite often. Now I'm wondering if they just stole the song and disregarded the copyright.