1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Need AW Regent Advice

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by gmaharriet, Jul 31, 2005.

1. gmaharriet

gmaharriet Ancient Crone

Once again this reluctant warrior is looking for help with an AW game, but this time it's Regent instead of Warlord. I never generally start a war before knights and MDI, so I'm kinda lost here.

I don't have horses, but I do have iron. I think my economy is looking fairly healthy. It's pretty obvious I've avoided exploration, hoping to fight one civ at a time.

In the zoomed out screenie the Babs are in the far S/E corner...you can just see the red border and I've killed a couple of their warriors who walked right into my archers and spear. I've roaded a couple of hills for my cats to follow, but I'm just not sure how to get it organized or if I have a large enough military. Suggestions will be greatly appreciated. :)

Edit: Forgot to say it's C3C v1.22

Attached Files:

2. MeteorPunch

MeteorPunch #WINNING Supporter

Your game looks pretty good to me. Once you get horses, start building horsesmen that you can upgrade to Riders.

The only thing I'd do differently is turn your capital into a setter factory. You are right at your unit support limit, and unit support can drag your economy down in AW. Build more cities with ~3-tile spacing CxxC for your new cities. Keep building cities and moving forward as long as you can defend yourself.

More catapults would help too. It's important to get a high kill-ratio. Build these in medium/long-distance cities without barracks.

3. gmaharriet

gmaharriet Ancient Crone

Thanks, MeteorPunch. :)

One of my questions is what I'm likely to find if I attack the Babs with the military I have currently. I've known about that red border since the point where I only had about 3 cities, so I think it's probably their capitol. I just have no idea how large a military I'm likely to need to actually attack, so not sure if I should do it now or try to edge more cities in the tiny area to their north first. I stopped building settlers after squeezing in all I could in my visible area...the land in the northeast not looking very promising.

Should I just go after the Babs now and hope what I have is adequate?

4. MeteorPunch

MeteorPunch #WINNING Supporter

I think you could take them. The military advisor says you are strong compared to them. Gather a group of units in one or two stacks leaving a few behind for defense.

Keep in mind that if one of their bowmen get a victory, then that will start their GA. But it's better to start it now then later when they have more cities. If you can get into position to raze or capture two of their cities, I think you'll have them.

5. gmaharriet

gmaharriet Ancient Crone

Thanks! I'll try it tonight when I get home. :)

6. Tone

Tone Deity Hall of Fame Staff

Agree totally with MPs advice. Particularly with the need for more cats. Just one question-are you thinking of building the Statue of Zeus? AW can slow the tech pace right down and ACs can rule for a long time under such conditions.

7. ChuckDizzle

ChuckDizzle Warlord

What MP said. However, I'd like to add you probably want more workers. I played a few turns into your save, and what you have looks pretty good. Go whack the babs. Have your workers build roads to the front and improve your new cities. I'd reccomend razing bab cities and building your own on some hills near their city sites, a common tactic in AW.

Edit: I just read Tone's reply, and the SOZ might be a big benefit if you don't get horses soon.

8. gmaharriet

gmaharriet Ancient Crone

I hadn't thought about the Statue of Zeus, but you're absolutely right. If the Babs don't have horses, I'll sure need a way of getting them.

Now I understand the need for the settler factory...war settlers. Duh! I can be so dense sometimes. :blush:

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

9. popewiz

popewiz Warlord

you could easily fit 4 more cities in the territory you can see by the babs.

10. Own

Own Grasshoppah

Looking good. On every front, have a big stack of catapults, and swords. Use elites as much as you can. When you get a leader, make an army and fill it with swords. Then go to an AI homeland and pillage all their roads. When riders come, you will probably have your continent. Make a rider army, send it to the other continent, and go on a pillaging spree. Pillaging isn't really necessary on Regent, but it's good practice for when you attempt AWS.

11. gmaharriet

gmaharriet Ancient Crone

Thanks, guys! You know, I played up to 260 AD Monday night, wiped out the Babs, finally found horses on the far side of a swamp that was located on the far side of a jungle...just barely started a couple of horsemen.

I've spotted (but not yet met) the Sumerians and they're down Lit, Map Making and Philosophy. I have 3 turns to go on Code of Laws and I'll be out of the Ancient Age.

I came here Monday night and wrote all of that in a post, including a screenie and the .sav file...and the board went down, so it wouldn't post. :(

I'm sorta stuck at that point. I have a large stack ready to go after the Sumerians, but being so close to having MDI's, I hate to move my stack so far from the nearest barracks. I don't know whether I should attack now or wait for Feudalism and/or Chivalry. So I still need advice. Thanks for any ideas you can give me. :)

Attached Files:

12. Own

Own Grasshoppah

Attack now, all they have are enkidu's, you own these guys. MDIs and knights would be overkill.

13. gmaharriet

gmaharriet Ancient Crone

Got it! Thanks, Own!!! :D

14. gmaharriet

gmaharriet Ancient Crone

It's now 490 AD. I'm about 7 turns from Chivalry. I've taken 3 Sumerian cities. Both the Sumerians and I have MDIs. I have both Ancient Cavalry and horsemen, but I haven't seen any horses from them...one of the cities I took had horses, but not hooked up yet. That must be why they just won't let up.

I've had one elite* named "Brave Own", since Own has helped and encouraged me in both this AW game and the Warlord one I did in June. I made an A/C army...I don't have riders yet. No time for pillaging. The battle is on Sumerian soil and they are throwing endless stacks at me.

I have workers making roads right under the feet of my military units so I can get my replacement units there. If I can get the screenie to show up, you'll see a very long line of MDIs on their way to the front, but it's a very long trip.

I feel like I must be doing something wrong, because I've never seen a single battle last this long without the AI suing for peace.

Attached Files:

15. vmxa

vmxa Deity

AW games tend to have less in the way of peace offers. I guess because you have refused earlier offers. Not to mention, you probably have razed cities and have a bad rep.

16. gmaharriet

gmaharriet Ancient Crone

Oh, yeah! I guess I did. :mischief:

I normally do so little fighting...just for limited objectives like resources and luxes. I get a few elites in that type of game, but never an MGL. It's something I really need to learn how to do better before I even think of going to Monarch.

17. SJ Frank

SJ Frank Spamalot Co-court

A few things come to mind look that the screenie...

1) Stop building MDI's, and start building horses. The reason: logistics. Take a look at where your MDI's are, I bet almost half of them are currently "in-transit", no where near the front line. And the situation will only get worse as the front advances. With each shield that you spend on the MDI's, on any given turn, only half of it is actually doing anything. Horses will be slightly better at this than MDI's, but Riders will be a lot better. As the supply line streches, mobile units become more and more valuable than slower ones.

2) Stop building barracks in corrupt cities, and start building catapults instead. It's just a not a good deal to spend 20 turns building a barrack, then only using it twice during the next 80 turns (building 2 MDI's taking 40 turns each). Getting 2 catapults out of each corrupt city, on the other hand, could give you an unstoppable SoD that hardly ever loses a unit.

3) Have you built the FP yet?

4) Lux tax is at 0%. Hopefully you're not slowing down growth in order to save money ;)

18. gmaharriet

gmaharriet Ancient Crone

@ SJ Frank - You're right that I have gone overboard with MDIs and barracks, and yes, my FP is built.

I'm having trouble judging city growth because each turn is taking so long...everything seems way out of proportion to what I'm used to with units on "go to" orders rushing all over the place. I kept feeling like I had to hurry, when in fact I need to slow down and evaluate everything more carefully.

Guess I need to take stock when I get home tonight of just what I am building. I completed one barracks by rushing it near the front, and I suppose that will have to do for healing wounded units.

I saw one Portuguese galley scuttle by, but we haven't made contact and I wouldn't know what to do with another front. My curraugh also spotted the Japanese border to the west of Sumeria. This is a continents map, and I'd hoped they'd be far away. The Iroquois are out there somewhere, but I haven't seen them.

Here's the save if anyone wants to look. I'm starting to get confused.

19. Own

Own Grasshoppah

I see you have a large treasury, and despite the insane upgrade costs, you could upgrade 5 horses to riders, pretty good. Get 5 horses, quick if you don't have any already.

20. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Deity

Build more cities to reduce unit upkeep.