1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NEED HELP] Is this match still winnable? To all you Strategists out there!

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by FredTMK, Jan 21, 2014.

1. FredTMK

FredTMK Chieftain

Hey Folks!

First of, Im pretty new to Civ. Got it like a week now, and its already one of the best strategy games Ive ever played, even without the expansions.

So here is my problem:

I got a match running with the following conditions:

• 1800+ Turns in
    • 230.000+ Gold +300 to +600 per turn depending on units
    • +400 Culture per Turn
    • +14 Happiness
    • +855 Scienece (every tech is unlocked, researching "Future Tech" over and over again at this point)
    • huge continents map
    • only 3 Civs left (Bismarck (AI, Neutral), Rhamakeang (AI, War), Me (Caesar))
    • Difficulty: Prince

See those pictures for more:

Social Tree:

This is how it started and why I am on those silly islands now:

As an explanation: I (foolishly) declared War on Siam on the left, and after some turns Russia declared War on me and I got crushed and had to flee to the left of the map.

So, is this game still winnable? Because have a look at this:

Basically, he got units everywhere. Peace is not an option either, he want all my Gold and some Cities.

Help!

PS: Oh, one question: Do unit maintenance costs still rise at this stage?

2. grades

grades Chieftain

I'm assuming you have the non-domination victory conditions disabled?

In any case a few well placed nukes will wipe out those units. From there just swing in and grab his capital. Rinse and repeat for Deutschland.

3. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

But... 2727 AD... This match ended long ago O_o Also, how did you manage NOT to win Cultural Victory by building Utopia project?

Still, very interesting game : o

If by "winning game" you mean "capturing all their cities, well, it would be hard one :p

4. Teproc

Teproc King

And by rinse and repeat, he mean do it the same turn for both, that way they don't have a chance of taking it back.

If Berlin and Sukhotai are coastal, that is.

5. Teproc

Teproc King

Pretty sure he disabled all VCs except Domination, otherwise this doesn't make sense obviously.

Oh, if you ticked the "you have to take all cities to win" thing, it's probably not very doable at this point. Or maybe it is, but it would be so long and painful that I wouldn't bother.

6. ravenmagus

ravenmagus Warlord

I can only assume you've turned off all victory conditions except Domination; both science and culture victories should have happened long ago.

I'd start by making a ton of missile cruisers with a few subs and conquer via sea for a while. You can wipe out the AI's navy with subs and then bombard their armies from the safety of the seas. When it's time to finally move inland, see if you can get some stealth bombers in your coastal footholds to conquer further inward; they're basically impossible to deal with outside of nukes.

EDIT: If the Domination victory is still normal (i.e., capturing capitals only), make sure you retake Rome before capping either Sukhothai or Berlin.

7. grades

grades Chieftain

Considering they've already played the game to 2727 AD I think the 'long and painful' aspect doesn't really factor in here.

A complete elimination victory is certainly doable still (although it will take a while, if anything just due to the sheer number of cities). The general strategy would just be to build a navy, throw down some nukes on those giant clusters of units, grab the coastal cities, then start working inwards with land units and bombers.

8. FredTMK

FredTMK Chieftain

Thanks for all the advices guys!

Two things:

Regarding nuking and taking coastal cities, tried that with two city states on the east of the Siam empire. Took one, the other one became my ally because they wanted it destroyed, and both got overrun by Siam very quickly.

And about the victory conditions... I just realized I got ALL disabled :mischief:
    Is there a way to edit the save file somehow?

9. klaskeren

klaskeren Prince

well then i can see that your difficulty winning this game is reasonable

10. CivilizedPlayer

CivilizedPlayer Warlord

Hahaha sorry that's just the funniest comment I've ever read :goodjob::D Don't worry I did something pretty similar once. If I were you, I'd just "win" by taking the capitals (following others' advice), and ignore the fact that you won't get a pretty win screen at the end.

11. FredTMK

FredTMK Chieftain

Yeah why not^^ Do I have to take my own, now captured Captial too?

12. ravenmagus

ravenmagus Warlord

In G&K, whoever is last to own their own capital is the winner. If Germany and Siam are the last two people alive, you need to retake your own capital first - otherwise, taking Siam's capital will cause Germany to win immediately (and vice versa).

13. FredTMK

FredTMK Chieftain

Okay I dont know have any expansions. What about the base game?

14. ravenmagus

ravenmagus Warlord

Base game is the same as G&K for domination.