[R&F] Need help making a mod for a new civ

Aparioss Frank

Chieftain
I am a beginner to modding. I used to edit the gameplay files, but have never made a mod before.
I want to make a mod for an additional civ, and if any one can help me with it, I'd appreciate.

(fictional) Eastern Eurasia:

Leader: ~

Civ ability:
- Imperial Arsenal replaces Encampment District, costing only 50% as much (as all unique district), and available at game start without any tech required. City with Imperial Arsenal trains combat unit 25% slower (units cost 33% more than normal), but created units gain 1 free Promotion. Major yield bonus for other districts built adjacent to it.
- All units gain +3 combat strength per Promotion. Units that are unlocked in an earlier era than current era gains +7 combat strength for each era they are behind. (The idea is that older units don't get outclassed by more recent one if you do not have the chance to upgrade them yet, while all units get stronger as you simply progress).
- Unique unit Cataphract: expensive heavy cavalry unit that is unlocked unlocked through the Mercenaries civic (like Winged Hussar). Gain +10 combat strength vs Melee and Anti-Cav units while next to another Cataphract.

Leader ability:
- Units do not cost maintenance. Convert 50% of Gold produced in each city into half that much of Production and half that much of Science.
- Trade routes toward a capital city (a city with Palace, in major civ or city state) yield additional Food and Production.
- Unique unit Cavalry Artillery: expensive ranged cavalry unit that unlock the same time as Field Cannon (at Ballistic). Slightly weaker than Field Cannon, but has 5 Movement, and do not have penalty versus fortification. Do not get obsolete and can be produced in any era.

Agenda: Like anyone who conquer cities, dislike those who raze cities, give up cities, or end a war without claiming new cities.

The idea is that this Civ has to play defensive early game but will bloom mid game, like Germany with Hansa. Imperial Arsenal by itself has no economic power, and to abuse its yield bonus for nearby district, requires good city planning, large population and a lot of time to build the districts. Expensive units and 50% Gold yeild means player cannot quickly purchase units to defend cities when attacked, but rather have to produce them before hand. Player should, and is encouraged to always have a large standing army. Hopefully the no maintenance cost only make up for the low Gold yield, rather than being OP. Trade routes boost is supposed to help with the slow development of new cities, especially early game, so that they can reach high population and build up district quicker.

I notice that most player do not build Encampment early, or at all, so the unique Encampment that boost other districts and available earlier hopefully encourage players to build it more. Also, I notice the lack of late game mobile ranged units (ranged cavalry) so I just throw it in too.

Suggestion as well as modding help are appreciated.

Yeah I do not care about art. New Civ can reuse model from vanilla. Rather, the scripting for the modifiers and abilities is bugging me. I am not good enough with modding. Also I don't have Mod Buddy, and only code with Notepad ++.

In previous versions of my portugal mod i didnt do it with modbuddy, see in update history.

Modifiers and such you have to start to copy and test an existent one, they have alot of dependencies, some times in diferent files.

I haven't found any modifier that can detect the level or number of promotions of a unit, so as to increase its CStr per level it has. I've think of two ways: Either attach every promotion of every class with +3 CStr so they gain CStr for each promotion, or modify units to gain CStr according to their level.

Also I haven't found any modifier that convert a potion of a type of yield to another.

The trade route capital detection can be done by checking for Palace in the destination city. But I haven't found out that Requirement yet.

If you can help me with finding or scripting them, I'll very much appreciate.

Thank you for the tool.

After the search I find several potentially helpful pieces of code, which I have yet to test myself.
However I find that my skill as a scripter/ mod creator is way too low. I do not know how to put modifiers, effects, requirements together at all, neither do I know clearly what the input and output of the modifiers and effects I found. I will work on the basic understanding for now and I believe that there are sources for that on the forum.

However, is there any kind of mod creator group on the forum that need ideas or can create mod based on ideas? I don't think coding is my specialty.

Folks, you just have to start small, and take small steps, for what I understand you don´t have a civ to test yet or am I wrong? Lets start there.

Modifiers are the real deal, hours/days to make one single one many of the times, in my current Portugal mod I miss some yet, and Agendas I miss them all.

Top Bottom