[GS] Need Help on Hungary

Lily_Lancer

Deity
I know it is a very good Civ with good ability, however I guess I cannot make full use of this Civ in my gameplay when I'm trying.

I attach a recent start. Anyone helps me on this Civ?

Attachments

• AutoSave_0001.Civ6Save
    645.1 KB · Views: 123
Deity online grassland start. I will pass on that Lily.
So when I give it a go, I then get floods after fighting off Lautro. Not my idea of fun, I'll stop here despite the AI still being rubbish in attack. I hate random events
upload_2019-10-20_23-27-25.png

Deity online grassland start. I will pass on that Lily.
So when I give it a go, I then get floods after fighting off Lautro. Not my idea of fun, I'll stop here despite the AI still being rubbish in attack. I hate random events
View attachment 537111

There's always no problem on War. I eliminated Lautaro around T60 (actually T54). Suprisingly I found that since he declares surprise war on me, there's no penalty of grievance on loyalty when I take his cities.

However I feel like Hungary seems to be totally blank on this map. I don't find any differences between Mattihas and Tamar, this is what I'm really worrying about. Also my science and culture is much lower than Pericles at that time, or what I usually have at T50~60 online speed.

Last edited:
there's no penalty of grievance on loyalty when I take his cities.
It is the way grievances work. It is even better if you let them capture one of your cities before your destroy them. If they had a large enough civ you would start feeling it eventually. I often try to bait civs to attacking me but I normally do not play for a fast win.
However I feel like Hungary seems to be totally blank on this map
Hungary is strong because of Suzerain ability but on deity and with the new patch, as soon as you declare war they take your suzerain away so this powerful Hungarian ability is limited at deity and more so at online speed.
Did you use their ability to build cheaper districts and buildings. 50% is a lot of discount.
The black army is OK, +5 is always good and it is light cavalry which I like.
But generally I think they are not top tier because their levy is situation and difficulty based But their district ability is great

You need to become Suzerain of multiple city-states, not just one. Amani + levy troops, then move on. Make sure you are generating as much gold as possible and get the Foreign Ministry.

Hungary is the strongest domination civ, unless you cannot find any CS. They snowball from the Classical Era onwards.

You need to become Suzerain of multiple city-states, not just one. Amani + levy troops, then move on. Make sure you are generating as much gold as possible and get the Foreign Ministry.

Hungary is the strongest domination civ, unless you cannot find any CS. They snowball from the Classical Era onwards.

If you think so, please try this wonderful map.

Your online speed, horrible start map which you most likely chose because it sucks? No thanks.

Online speed is good for casual games that players can play on his pace and enjoy a lot of interesting features of the game, so as Deity difficulty. Combine these two brings the most fun for casual players I believe.

If you don't play on these settings then every game soon becomes ancient archer or classical horseman rush, uninteresting.

Last edited:
Seriously... what?

Combine the difficulty where the AI is at its strongest and the player at its weakest (bonuses and penalties) with the fastest game speed which gives you the least amount of freedom of choices because every turn has a higher value than on slower speeds? Most fun for casual?

This guy....

Online speed is good for casual games that players can play on his pace and enjoy a lot of interesting features of the game, so as Deity difficulty. Combine these two brings the most fun for casual players I believe.

Online speed is for quick games, and magnifies any benefit or harm. For someone like you who rerolls to get the exact map it is fine, but casual players will not get much fun out of it.

For someone like you who rerolls to get the exact map it is fine.

Hey, I never rerolls. This contradicts with the spirit that I'm a casual player. A reroller like you will simply reroll this Hungary map, however I just play whatsoever.

If you're not a reroller please play it instead of making nonsense and incorrect comments.

Hm, Firaxis's Carl seems to think that slower speeds are actually harder on Deity because the AI gets to keep it's massive advantage over you for longer. They'll have three cities when you only have one for quite a while on Marathon, right? I'm not entirely sure that I agree, but whatever.

@Lily_Lancer: I think Hungary is better on lower difficulties when the AI can't afford to flip your suzerains all the time. He's probably not as good on Deity. But, the 50% build discount is still good.

Firaxis's Carl seems to think that slower speeds are actually harder on Deity
Online is hard because of the rounding down of a lot of values. It involves more risk.
Slower speeds are more about planning and being safe because advantages by the AI, especially with troops are much harder to counter.
There is some subtleties in there that make it depend on your type of play but purely looking at numbers, online is harder.
Personally I find standard right, online and epic are just extreme that stretch the way the game is played for me personally.

Playing Hungary now and the I've only been able to use the 50% district build discount on one or two districts. I have about 10 cities at the moment. It's just too hard to line up with the best city locations. It's practically a write off to me. Very little value.

Hey, I never rerolls. This contradicts with the spirit that I'm a casual player. A reroller like you will simply reroll this Hungary map, however I just play whatsoever.

If you're not a reroller please play it instead of making nonsense and incorrect comments.

Wait...you think you are a casual player?

Playing Hungary now and the I've only been able to use the 50% district build discount on one or two districts. I have about 10 cities at the moment. It's just too hard to line up with the best city locations. It's practically a write off to me. Very little value.

On this map there's no such problem. More than half of the districts can bonus from "Pearl of Danube“ on this map(At least in my game it does), so just try it.

They'll have three cities when you only have one for quite a while on Marathon, right?
You really need to play the speeds to see the difference.
Whenthe game lasts 3 times as long and things take 3 times as long to build is it much difference? The real differences lay in things like units. Once built a unit still moves normally and fights normally. If you lose units to an attacking force it is very hard to get those back fast enough. If that makes sense. On online speed you just punch out the units. Now that may sound easier and in some ways it feels like it but the less turns and speed change does mean you miss some little benefits. It is very easy on online speed to suddenly wonder where all the turns have gone and you still only have 3 cities.

Hungary seems to be totally blank on this map.
You state this, so I reply ....
Did you use their ability to build cheaper districts and buildings. 50% is a lot of discount.
Then you change your tune
On this map there's no such problem. More than half of the districts can bonus from "Pearl of Danube“
And all after hinting I have not played Hungary in another thread. There is so much 'flying by the seat of your pants' which is why i find it weird you try to go into technical detail because you have a very bright mind but you have not experienced so change your mind all the time. play analyze the say "you must" but do not make statements all the time without this because it makes you less believable. You have the abilities to be a great help but seem to hinder yourself with your approach.

Additionally, the reason GOTM uses great strong start maps is it encourages people to play them. Dump an ugly map like this down and no-one likes to. I out of courtesy gave it a go and its not as hard as other starts I have had but its online and TBH you do not encourage people to because you will just mock them because you did it faster than them

Last edited:
Top Bottom