1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help with a model.

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Unit Graphics' started by PPQ_Purple, Dec 13, 2017.

1. PPQ_Purple

PPQ_Purple Techpriest Engineer

I figure this is the right place to ask. TLDR I have this model which is basically the cleric from FFH but with an extra set of shoulder pads and medallion (all one mesh) added to it. The model it self and the shoulder pads render fine, but the medallion and straps which are part of the same mesh as the shoulder pads instead render pitch black in game. The model it self, medallion included looks perfectly fine in nifscope so I am at a loss.

If anyone can try and figure out how to fix this I would be grateful.

PS. The model uses spearman animations.

Attached Files:

2. SaibotLieh

SaibotLieh Emperor

Deleting the 'NiVertexColorProperty' of the mesh seems to fix this. Have not seen that Node used in a Civ4 unit before, so I guess it is not necessary anyway.

3. PPQ_Purple

Thanks a million. I would newer have figured that one out. And believe me I tried. You really are a life saver.

4. SaibotLieh

SaibotLieh Emperor

No worries. One thing I learnt for sure is to be always suspicious of out-of-place nodes.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  5. PPQ_Purple

And not 24h later similar model, similar problem. This time I added a bit of decorations on him again and the model looks fine in 3d max and nifscope but when I load it up in the game the red scarf thing I added is all messed up which to me indicates a skin problem. Thing is, I tested the animation and skinning in both nifscope AND 3d max and they work fine in there. Maybe you can take a look.

PS. You or anyone else that helps is going to be credited in my models.

Attached Files:

6. SaibotLieh

SaibotLieh Emperor

Removing the 'NiSkinPartition' from the 'NiSkinInstance' of the mesh seems to fix the problem. NiSkinPartitions are normally only needed for shadered units.

7. PPQ_Purple

I did not know that. Also, that's very odd since like 3d max keeps generating it for all units and this is the first time I've had any issues with it. I'll just keep that option turned off for my next model. Thanks!

8. PPQ_Purple

Time to revive this thread as I have a new question. Look at this model of mine. It uses the frigate animations and with them works just fine except one single thing. When damaged in battle the model properly displays its damage texture. But as soon as combat ends that texture goes away in favor of the undamaged look. Any ideas why?

Attached Files:

9. PPQ_Purple

Nobody?

10. Sword_Of_Geddon

Sword_Of_Geddon Mysterious Jungle Warrior

I would ask maybe Walter Hawkwood, this seems right up his alley.

11. MightyToad

MightyToad Warlord

Works for me. :crazyeye: :goodjob:

12. PPQ_Purple

That is very odd. It could be due to my module than. But I can't reasonably debug that now.

13. MightyToad

MightyToad Warlord

I think so too. Especially since this problem isn't unique to this unit.