Need help with Gimp

turfcat

Prince
Hi everyone,
I'm a newbee at graphics. I've been making some tech icons and wonder splashes.

I had to increase the size of an image. When I did the picture quality is a little fuzzy. Can someone tell me if there is a way to clear that up. Thanks in advance!:)

Hi Turfcat.

Enlarged images are always fuzzier, because each pixel has to work harder. Whenever possible, you should try to work with images that are the same size or larger than the finished product, although reducing an image significantly can blur it up too. Indexing also causes significant drop-off in picture quality, can't be helped.

So one thing is to make all of your changes to an un-indexed, or pre-indexed image. I think it was Vuldacon who pointed out one time that often an image on the viewer looks better when you enlarge the view size than when you actually use the image -> size function, so you might try enlarging it in the viewer (making sure you start with a View -> Zoom at 1:1) and take a screenshot (shift -> Print Screen) which you can retrieve with Create -> Copy from Clipboard. Then use your Rectangle select tool to frame the image you want to keep and Image -> Crop to Selection. It's possible that the result, properly sized and indexed, will look a little better.

Yup, Balthasar is right. Try augmenting the zoom and then screenshooting it, then creating from clipboard.
Don't index it until the very end. Keep it RGB as long as you can. :)

The method I have used many times for tech icons & wonder splashes is to enlarge the graphic itself (RGB mode) by 5 to 10 times what you want the finished size to be. You'll have to experiment a little but I do some contrast/brightness adjustments & some sharpening on the large image. Then I reduce it to the final size & do some final adjustments. Only then do I reduce the palette.

Top Bottom