Need help with the military.

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by toll_booth, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Gliese 581

Gliese 581 Your average civ junkie

Axemen rushes are quite popular and powerful. You want 1.5-2.5 x the number of archers of your opponent in the target city, any defending warriors can be discounted from this mathematical rule of thumb.

2. SlipperyJim

SlipperyJim Prince

Warrior Rushes are a bit of a gamble, and they only ever work in the super-early game. It also helps if you're Aggressive, because then your warriors are all 10% more effective.

That said, on Noble difficulty, you can often take out a close AI by simply sending five or six warriors into its capital. Now you have two capital city sites, which is a real advantage for the rest of the game.

I noticed a few points in your post that show why your Warrior Rush failed. You sent a stack of eleven warriors, and they all had City Raider I. That tells me that you built (at least) a Barracks and eleven warriors before you made your move. As a result, you ran into a fortified archer, and all of your warriors died. Too slow. Next time, skip the barracks, and rush as soon as you have five or six warriors. (Add another warrior or two if the target city is on a hill.)

As soon as you see enemy archers, the warrior rush is doomed. (Unless you're playing the Incas.) At that point, you need metal or horses. Without metal or horses, your next best option is to tech Construction and make catapults. Archers can easily take cities if you bring enough catapults with them....

3. Yxklyx

Yxklyx King

If you do find yourself with a bunch of Warriors facing Archers in cities, would it be a good idea to keep the war going and instead of attacking the cities just use them to pillage and cause mayhem - just to stunt that Civ's growth? I don't recall how bad War Weariness is in the early stages.

4. erikthecelt

erikthecelt Old, Geezer, Unoriginal

Strike earlier, 6 warriors against 2 is better that 11 warriors vs 2 + 1.
    Hit warriors with warriors, when you see archers and you don't have horses or copper find iron.

5. erikthecelt

erikthecelt Old, Geezer, Unoriginal

WW is not a problem early unless you lose a lot of battles. It's usually not worth pillaging, let them grow and develop so that you have good cities to capture. Make peace and then on Noble all you need to do is build a bigger stack of equal or better units. It's good to have two or three stacks and target border cities that you can take on the first 1 or 2 turns then funnel into the core cities with a unified stack. The AI gets confused on which city to recapture and doesn't defend well. If you see too big a defensive stack, move to another city. The AI will divide it's forces and you can catch them outside the city on flatland or in a city where they haven't fortified. Feint and parry tactics.

6. mboettcher

mboettcher General

sometimes barracks take too long and are too big of a gamble in the early game. Perhaps getting 5 axes on the opponent early is a lot more effective than getting 4 lvl 2 axes 15 turns later. You be the judge but don't lock yourself in the 'I have to have promoted units' mentality

7. toll_booth

toll_booth Warlord

So far my warfare is going a lot better this match, for one simple reason: I've got two cities devoted to cranking out units, not one (even though I have only about eight cities total, since I'm playing on Lakes). This is making all the difference: I just vassaled Louis, and Wang Kon (love that name :D) may be next!

8. toll_booth

toll_booth Warlord

AAAARRRGH! Willem van Orange declared war on me AT FRIENDLY!! Jeez this is not gonna be fun....

9. CornPlanter

CornPlanter Emperor

William the Silent is one of the most plainly annoying leaders in the game, together with Joao. They are both not a big threat in a sence that they are not gonna crush you like Montesuma II or Alexander might, but they keep annoying you all the time. Like mosquitos - no big damage but I just can't stand them anyway. William and Joao are always at the honorable first place on my list. So with the neighbourhood like that, I'd certainly leave Koreans be and go for Netherlands.

And good job vassaling Louis, he can be annoying to no end too :)

10. toll_booth

toll_booth Warlord

After reloading a couple times, :p I figured out the problem: Willem and Louis were annoyed with one another. :mad:

Oh well, this is where Spiritual comes in handy: A quick switch to Nationalism helped me draft enough troops to hold them off. This war is now over. :)